Maddux leaves legacy like no other (Atlanta Braves)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5610 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a rumor and I guess its now been proven false that Maddux, Smoltz & Glavine were all going to retire together and that Maddux would get traded back to Atlanta just to retire with the others. He is a no brainer for getting into Cooperstown on the first ballot. Though I doubt he could get in unanimously on the first ballot. If Super Cal and Tony Gwynn can't do it it's probably not possible.:HS

There are a couple of voters that have made the statement that they will never vote yes on the first ballot. They don't feel anybody should go in the first time. If this is the way they feel then they should have their voting rights taken away. They aren't voting an honest ballot but instead some stupid personal vendetta.

I got to see him pitch when I was younger. I was so excited to spend the afternoon at Fulton County Stadium. Well, Maddux threw a one hitter. Braves scored a couple in the 5th and the game seemed to last about 45 mins in my young mind. As a kid I was wanting the theatrics of base hits and home runs, I didn't appreciate at the time how good he was.

I loved watching him work and used his work ethic and pitch selection as teaching points when I coached. Who is the better pitcher? Maddux or Randy Johnson? I would ask my players and since none of them threw 98 and left handed I tried to influence them to throw nerf balls and control like Maddux. He was more successful based upon post season success, in my opinion.

I loved him in the Nike-"Chicks dig the long ball" commercial. I still have that one saved in my videos on my PC.

He likely could have pitched another two years and gotten all the records. His control was unsurpassed and that was only surpassed by his class. Young pitchers who throw wild gas should take lessons from him. Not a knuckleball guessing match at the dish, just pure placement. Like a Nolan Ryan fastball, JUST DAMN GOOD.