Pitcher's Return to Mound - MLB

mepperson
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5832 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Other than the obvious - when a coach/manager conducts a second trip to the mound during the same inning - is there a situation where a pitcher cannot be removed from the mound to another fielding position, then return to the mound later in the game (in a later inning)?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of no rule prohibiting him taking another position. OBR 8.06(:D just states removal. It is not explicit as if he is removed from his position or from the game. FED is explicit about defensive subs and the pitcher being able to take another def position and even return to the mound.

I'm looking for what you describe with FED, where the pitcher is allowed/prohibited from a return to the mound after taking another defensive position. When OBR states "removal," it is referring to removal from the lineup and, therefore, from the game. The situation I'm looking for (illustrated, if you will) is where a pitcher moves from the mound to, say, RF - is he prohibited from later in the game moving back to the mound to pitch again?

I'm not finding anything, but want to make sure that I'm not overlooking anything...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for what you describe with FED, where the pitcher is allowed/prohibited from a return to the mound after taking another defensive position. When OBR states "removal," it is referring to removal from the lineup and, therefore, from the game. The situation I'm looking for (illustrated, if you will) is where a pitcher moves from the mound to, say, RF - is he prohibited from later in the game moving back to the mound to pitch again?

I'm not finding anything, but want to make sure that I'm not overlooking anything...

In OBR, F1 can move from the mound to another defensive position once per inning. Look at the case book comments (italics) for rule 3.03.

In the FED he may also do so once per inning. In the book, read Rule 3-1-2. This situation is explained about half way through the paragraph.

Hope this helps.