Hello from NC

PiedmontNCblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4822 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello all! I am staring my second year in umpiring here in NC and cannot believe it took me this long to find it! Since I am new, I still have a ways to go to get a good grasp on all the situations that can occur, but am trying to learn as quicly as I can.

I have been looking through several posts and do not recognize all the abbreviations, esp the ones on which rules are being discussed. Is there a post somewhere that explains the ones being used?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Piedmont! What area are you in? I am in Greensboro. As far as a post about abbreviations there isn't one. It would take up too much space. Here are a few examples; OBR- Official Baseball Rules, IFR- Infield Fly Rule, OBS- Obstruction, INT- Interference, etc.. As you gain experience it becomes clearer. Feel free to email anytime if you need help. If I can I will be glad to help. Good luck and remember " strikes and outs get you home faster".:)

Hello all! I am staring my second year in umpiring here in NC and cannot believe it took me this long to find it! Since I am new, I still have a ways to go to get a good grasp on all the situations that can occur, but am trying to learn as quicly as I can.

I have been looking through several posts and do not recognize all the abbreviations, esp the ones on which rules are being discussed. Is there a post somewhere that explains the ones being used?

OP= original post or original play

FED= Federation= NFHS= National Federation of High School

R1,R2,R3= Runner on first, second and third

BOO =Batting out of order

These are a few, if you have a question on others, PM me.

FWIW=For what it's worth

IIRC=If I recall correctly

Read through the old threads, ask questions if you don't understand something or start a new thread. Some will complain about necropost but you have a genuine question, ask it. My belief is to read and get to where you feel like you understand a concept but ask for clarification. I have many times thought I had a concept but be a little off but wouldn't know that until I asked.

The site was just updated. In the old version, a lot of the abbreviations were able to be moused-over, which would give you the definition of the abbreviation. Warren, is that possible with the new board?

The site was just updated. In the old version, a lot of the abbreviations were able to be moused-over, which would give you the definition of the abbreviation. Warren, is that possible with the new board?

I'll find out. I didn't look for it before b/c while I never had any compliments about it, I did have a few complaints. In reading this thread I think I'll try to come up with something.

• 2 weeks later...

Use this thread for any help. Common Acronyms

I'll find out. I didn't look for it before b/c while I never had any compliments about it, I did have a few complaints. In reading this thread I think I'll try to come up with something.

Pardon me Umpire in Chief..... no compliments ever ??????????????? :angry:

Think again.... twice if neccessary... and maybe even somhow harder???

I DID COMPLIMENT ON THE MOUSE OVER THING... I LIKE IT A LOT, IT HELPS ME OVER AND OVER AGAIN !!!! :rose:

But Back to the OP, Welcome to the site and hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Regards to all of you guys, :wave:

:rose: R@