scoring to show courtesy runner in book

Guest dibug@grantsburgtelcom.net
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4255 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest dibug@grantsburgtelcom.net

New at keeping score book how do I indicate batter had a courtesy runner after reaching first so that runner gets credits for what he does.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

True statisticians will keep separate record for speed-up/courtesy runners. Short of that, make a footnote indicating who the runner was, what inning, and result. Don't look too deeply into this one. K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple, Stupid. Overcomplicating will only confuse the next person on the book.

In my district for district games we are required to keep a record of all 7.14 runners....I do it by grabbing a small index card along with my lineup card in my shirt pocket and recording all 7.14 runners there....the index card is also good to quote someone for an EJ report.... my :2cents:

The umpire is always supposed to record CRs and visits etc in HS games and Id think that he'd want to knw this in other games that use a CR or an SPR (or whatever LL calls it). But the posat was asking about statistics etc and not what the umpire does. And I agree that even the base umpire should be carrying a piece of paper and a pen to write down whatever needs to be written down (even if most of the time you wont use it).

I typically put the player's name in as if a substitute, under the starting player's name - for position, I put "CC" or "CP" depending on who the runner is running for, and then the inning(s) in which the substitutions happened - it'll look like "Smith CC1,3,6." I'll add letters for multiple courtesy runs in the same inning for a bat-around (1,3a,6). Then, in the box for that at-bat, I draw a short line through the base to indicate where the courtesy runner started. Very easy, then, to know who ran, when, and how that runner advanced.