Worked w/ a new guy

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4293 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I worked with a new guy last week. We did three games together and I never do more than two in a day, but a friend needed help. Overall, he did a nice job, but at the end of our third game I noticed him walking through the "good game" line shaking hands w/ the players.

I gave him some feedback that (that he requested) would help him be better in his next game(s) but I left the hand shaking thing alone. I figured that other senior guys would talk to him about that, or he'd find out the hard way. This was American Legion ball.

Was it okay to leave it alone or should I have told him that it isn't a good idea to go through the line w/ players?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have told him on the spot. Hand the balls to whomever gets them or place them where they go and walk out a neutral gate if one is available. Nothing irks me more than watching an umpire hang around after a game talking to fans, coaches or players.

Bring it up if for no other reason than he will keep hearing that it is a bad idea and drop the habit quickly. If he's only hearing that from some umpires, it may not sink in with him (or at least not as quickly).

Bring it up if for no other reason than he will keep hearing that it is a bad idea and drop the habit quickly. If he's only hearing that from some umpires, it may not sink in with him (or at least not as quickly).

Personally, I'd forget the other stuff and lead with this. After of course he wondered why I left him on the field all by himself. :D

Anybody ever hear this?:

"I will:

Keep the rules. Keep faith with my teammates.

Keep my temper. Keep myself fit. Keep a stout heart in defeat.

Keep my pride under in victory.

Keep a sound soul. A clean mind.

And a healthy body."

You mentioned this was American Legion ball. We're actively encouraged to recite this with the players before each game. Doesn't sound like too much of a stretch to shakes hands with the umpire after the game.

Having said that, I wouldn't dream of going through line shaking hands. I've had players come to me on the way out of the gate but I would never initiate it and certainly wouldn't stand around waiting for it.