Why does it have a plastic cap on the collar bone and shoulder? Why wouldn't it have those same amazing pads there? If it's not good enough for my collarbone, why would I trust it with my ribs? Or, my heart?

Or, am I totally missing something here?

Why does it have a plastic cap on the collar bone and shoulder? Why wouldn't it have those same amazing pads there? If it's not good enough for my collarbone, why would I trust it with my ribs? Or, my heart?

Or, am I totally missing something here?

I think those "plastic caps" you are referring to are the exo material without the neoprene covering like the rest of the CP. I don't think there is any plastic on the CP except for the buckles. I will confirm this once I get mine.

In that video (besides Jim jumping out of the way of the ball), the baseball just glances off his side.

I'd love for it to work, and have no trouble pitching my others in the dumpster.

In the video, I'm seeing plastic caps on that c/p. Are there other pictures of that rig somewhere?

In that video (besides Jim jumping out of the way of the ball), the baseball just glances off his side.

Lol - I thought the same thing - Really Jim? He looked and sounded ridiculous. The ball was a mere glance off his side, and he acted like it was a direct shot to the chest. Why did he jump out of the way if he was so confident in it?

I thought the video could have been done a lot better. I definitely was not sold by the video. I was sold by being told that if I didn't like after a game or two I could send it back. No risk really.

Yeah, Jimmy really overacted that one. I wondered why he jumped before he got hit, and why he started hollering like that.

Yeah and the other video looks like the people doing the hitting are faking or holding back when they hit

This kills me because I'm a gear whore of the highest order, but I am *not* going to be on the bleeding edge on this one. I already use a Riddell Power, which is about as lightweight as I feel I want on the field. I'll wait for the reviews by users here. I don't think that JE will be able to sell a lot of these at $279 so I expect the price to drop considerably anyway (that is, if he plans on selling them at $279 at all).

I don't feel a thing with my Platinum in the games I work (mid 80's mph, max). It's not too hot, and I don't mind the broadshouldered look. Chicks dig it. Mine fits me like a glove. Plus, it's lighter than the All Star.

I sold my thrift store Riddell for top dollar, and while it was cool, I like my Platinum better.

I'd rather it had a more modern backing, and a different harness, though. Not sure what that pad is doing near my throat either, but that's where my throat protector smacks against, so it's all good. I wish the rivets didn't rust. I don't care for the metal buckles on the front. I removed the pads on the arms, to decrease the bulkiness by a lot, as they only cover meat and not bone.

I got burned by the manufacturer's hype on the Davishield, and won't let that happen to me again. Wearing that rig was great. It was cool, sleek, and had some great adjustment features. Fit like nothing else, and loved those velcro straps. And all those interlocking plastic panel were designed to lock together with struck, forming one solid piece of protection. When laid flat, that's how it worked. But when worn, on a curved body, it failed.

I'm all for new technology, and have Team Wendy pads in all my masks. If this new rig tests out well in the field, I'm in. But I can wait, and not be the test crash dummy, like I was with the Davishield.

I sold my thrift store Riddell for top dollar, and while it was cool, I like my Platinum better.

I've worn the following protectors over the last 16 years:

West Vest (original, bought in 1996 after taking a fouled bunt into the collarbone of my crappy $30 protector)

West Vest Gold (I sold this to an umpire in Europe, I think)

West Vest Platinum (I sold this to a friend of mine locally -- you love yours, I hated mine)

Honig's K1 (still in my basement somewhere)

Riddell Power (I've worn this the last 4 years)

To me the protector was never about deflecting 100% of the blow. The PLT does a great job with that, but is heavy and feels like I'm hooking it over my shoulders, which I can't stand.

The Power may be the "holy grail" of protectors partially because of how rare it is, but it's the first protector that I've worn that's light, comfortable, and still deflects *most* of the blow of a hard pitched (or hit) baseball. It's the reason that my gear whore self is not whipping out his credit card and ordering one of these.

Of course I said the same about my Titanium mask that I thought would last forever and ended up disappointing me. And I bought an All Star System 7 and love it. So maybe someday I'll try one of these and feel like it's the next generation (but it won't be this year).

I have a personal rule. I spend as little on gear oiuut of pocket as possible. I like to barter. It's worked out well. I wear a Nike Titanium mask, WV gold cp, diamond shins (I usually wear adidas soccer shins). I buy my shoes new. In 14th season, I may have spent $500 on gear and uniforms. Hard to pull the trigger on the unequal even though I would love to try it out.

Trout 78 im impressed..you have been a memeber for less than two months and u have 900+ posts. when do u have time to umpire lol at this rate by december u will be at 3000 posts.. i can see u taking over with the most posts on this site in one year...keep up the posting

Guys,

I just had a conversation with a trusted friend about the Unequal Chest Protector. He has first hand experience with this product I wanted to share. You can take it for what it is worth, but I give his words top tier credibility.

Here are some of his comments:

1) Jim Evans was bruised significantly after making this video.

2) None of the instructors said they would wear it in a game.

3) The protector is hot as heck.

4) While it's weight is within 2oz of his Gold it feels heavier.

5) After his experience with it he would definitely not wear it in a game or recommend it.

He also told me that another guy he knows who tried the unequal had after seeing and holding it decided to test it out before going out on the field, because he had doubts. He took a hit to the chest right at the nipple which hurt. He took another hit right next to the sternum which doubled him over, 4 days later it was still tender to the touch. That guy never took it out onto the field.

My friend concluded by saying that, "The Unequal Chest Protector is the most overrated product in the history of umpiring."

The reason I post this is not to down the product, but honestly I am highly skeptical of it now after these comments from a trusted friend. My purpose is to potentially save my members not only injury, but save their wallets as well.

I am still eager to get feedback from you all who have purchased this.