Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3578 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just test it in the privacy of your own garage before you go behind the plate, please. Just remember, my Davishield never saw the field. One whack from the ball on the golf shaft told me to park it.

Honestly, I'd be estatic to see you say,"Fellas, I took a full pounding of baseballs to every square inch of this thing, and never felt a thing". My credit card would be on my keyboard in an instant.

That is a good idea, but around here there are very few batting cages - if any. They have become an insurance liability...mostly because of movies like this.

I think if the goal is to "never feel a thing" you're going to be sorely disappointed. I have a Riddell Power and I feel hard hit fouls off of it. Nothing that lasts more than a few seconds, but I do feel it.

It's also about half the size (if that) of a Platinum. And it's getting the Team Wendy retrofit. I have no interest in this new protector - I freaking LOVE my Power.

But I'm following with interest. Someday I may need a new protector, after all, and there's gotta be a better mousetrap than the robo-ump protectors sold today.

I'll settle for "better than my Platinum". It's gotta protect my body better that the WV.

I liked the slim fit of the Power I had, but it didn't have the collarbone protection of the Platinum.

I really liked the feel of the Davishield, but the rib protection was like an old foam ribbed protector.

The Gold doesn't fit me as well as the Platinum. I've modified my shoulder padding to fit me properly, and not have the bulky look.

No, it's far from perfect. I don't like the metal T buckles poking through my shirt. The padding material and foam is behind the times, as is the harness.

What we need is something like the new All Star, with Team Wendy type backing, that's fully washable, The plates will be light, carbon fiber, and the harness will be like the All Star. The side and lower protectors will velcro on, with different sizes. One solid piece, like the Platinum, from the chest over the shoulder, for collarbone protection (not hindged below the collar bone.).

I don't understand anyone nay-saying until you have reason to. maybe the unequal is the sh*t. Maybe it's the greatest thing since the dh. Maybe it sucks as bad as the logo. Who knows until we find out? I do not like the way they took money for months and left folks hanging. Thats a co issue. The product might be all its cracked up to be, or it might be a Davis. Why not get straight skinny before you try to trash it?

I think if the goal is to "never feel a thing" you're going to be sorely disappointed. I have a Riddell Power and I feel hard hit fouls off of it. Nothing that lasts more than a few seconds, but I do feel it.

I think its funny I can recall a number of instances of MLB guys wearing a Power and having broken collarbones or leaving a game after taking a hard shot. Never seen that with a Wilson.

The Platinum is advertised as having the most armor in one of Joe's product advertisements. Ive worn both the Gold and Platinum and have "felt" some hard shots with the Gold (nothing serious) but never "felt" anything with the Platinum.

Well, I wore the CP in my game last night...and unfortunately I don't have any news to report back. I was not touched in my plate game last night.

Some positives on what I can report...the fit was great. I removed the side flaps and the torso extender and it was still plenty long.

The protector never had to be adjusted, after it was on. It never slipped down.

"I was not touched in my plate game last night."

Wow, I'd think the Kharma of the vest alone might be worth the money. Can't remember the last time, if ever, I was not touched (and pretty gosh darn hard) behind the plate during a game--testing the limits of my Diamond/Wendy's mask and Platinum vest. My suspicion is that this new vest might have some mighty powerful radiant energy that pushed and guided all those balls around it and you. I'd easily pay $279 for a vest that kept me from getting hit at all!! 'Course, maybe it's that I do 60' and 90' Little League where everyone and their little brother gets a shot at being Johnny Bench, and perhaps you're doing a little higher level of ball. But hopefully that's not it at all, and the vest actually does have radiant repulsive energy that shields the wearer. My check's in the mail at just the mere possibility.

Actually, my check was in the mail at the end of July at the mere possibility :-)

Well, I wore the CP in my game last night...and unfortunately I don't have any news to report back. I was not touched in my plate game last night.

Some positives on what I can report...the fit was great. I removed the side flaps and the torso extender and it was still plenty long.

The protector never had to be adjusted, after it was on. It never slipped down.

The side flaps you took off? Don't those protect where your arm, armpit, and lower shoulder meet?

The side flaps you took off? Don't those protect where your arm, armpit, and lower shoulder meet?

Not sure if those are the ones you're referring to or not, but yes, probably those.

Yes the ones by your chest. Those cover a nice gap that can be formed if you are larger than the main chest plate

The power's issues today aren't related to design but more so related to age. The last powers were manufactured in the early 2000's. That easily makes them 10+ years old. The padding is noting special, just simple foam that you might find in your old couch. After 10 plus years of sweating that foam breaks down and loses its rebounding properties. So you might as week be going out there with just the plastic plates. The Wilson, Douglas erc CPs are no different. Before now there were no other options besides replacing your old CP with another. Now you can get replacement pads and you see broken collarbones less and less.