Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3558 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

johnny08...I broke down and ordered one too. I figure if it works, I finally have a CP that doesn't make me look like a linebacker. If it doesn't work, I send it back. I have a baseball on a golf shaft waiting for it to arrive.

I'm still incredulous. They emphasize the Kevlar in the CP. Kevlar has great tensile strength--it resists piercing when woven into a cloth. It doesn't do a thing against blunt-force trauma, which is what a baseball is. You can have a pillow on your chest, or a layer of Kevlar--the pillow protects against punches, the Kevlar against bullets. The only thing Kevlar lends to a CP is durability, so if you decide to set it on a barbed-wire fence, you'll be better off. The bigger question is what does this CP do to dissipate the energy of a blunt object.

I heard alot of hype. Hard for me to pull the trigger on a $250 cp without reading reviews. Maybe midwestump will check it out for us.

• Like 1

I would consider it if I hadn't just got my gold and delta flex harness. A friend will be ordering one soon. Will get to inspect it when he gets it.

does the delta flexfactory fit the gold? I saw pics on U-A and it says it fits but looks like different buckles.

They are different clips the gold uses a metal clip while the S7 is a plastic clip. I had to use electrical tape to hold down the clips but it works better than I could hope. The harness is extremely comfortableas well.

I'm not impressed. I want the ball to bounce off of me, and this thing doesn't look like the ball is going to bounce off of me. Kevlar, as stated, great for stopping bullets. If the pitcher is shooting at me, I would love to be wearing one. Actually, I'm a little surprised that hasn't happened to me yet!

I'm still incredulous. They emphasize the Kevlar in the CP. Kevlar has great tensile strength--it resists piercing when woven into a cloth. It doesn't do a thing against blunt-force trauma, which is what a baseball is. You can have a pillow on your chest, or a layer of Kevlar--the pillow protects against punches, the Kevlar against bullets. The only thing Kevlar lends to a CP is durability, so if you decide to set it on a barbed-wire fence, you'll be better off. The bigger question is what does this CP do to dissipate the energy of a blunt object.

The Kevlar is to protect against angry coaches when you're umpiring in bad neighborhoods.
  • Like 1

I have emailed back and forth with Jason at JEAPU and they seem very confident in this design. I asked him about their return policy and he said that I should wear it in a few games, take some shots, and then decided if I want to keep it. Otherwise return it. He said he seriously doubts I will return it. He also said they are working on getting out some shin guards and some other accessories in the coming months.

It is interesting and if cooler, would make life here in the Houston area a little more bearable behind the plate. I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger especially since I'm pretty happy with my All-Star and I now have the endurance pads to go underneath.

I think its cool that they have a "try it out in games" point of view. No other company seems to let you give it a run or two in live play and says you can return it if you don't like it.

As for the kevlar... talk about something I could have used while living in LA! :D

Ive never been much of an early adopter, so I'll sit back and see what the reviews are like.....In my memory is that of the Davis Shield put out by Gerry Davis as the newest lightest best protector on the market....that went down in flames when reviews came in that it wasnt good enough protection for LL....

I've seen the Video and put more faith in JE, but its going to take a bit more than faith to get me out of my Platinum......

Site says the price will go up on August 1, so be sure to order before then. (Waiting for my allowance).

There is a video of a catcher wearing a thin sheet of the raw material and taking a fastball and a baseball bat to the chest. The implication being that the design of the raw material alone is sufficient.

I have high hopes for this thing to be cool, low profile, and good enough to replace my platinum.

I bought a Davishield, tested it with that baseball at the end of a graphite golf club shaft, and got the $#!+ knocked out of me. And good ol' Ger wouldn't take it back, once I donned it. Rat.

I'll let someone else be the chump this time. It's got to have better collarbone protection than my Platinum, and I find that hard to believe with that rig. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

I won't take the word of paid endorsers, or folks with a stake in it's success. Plus, lots of guys who plunk down some hard earned scratch are many times relunctant to admit they made a mistake.

Naw, this time I'll wait a bit. Or, club someone else I see wearing one. (Feel that?!) Yeah, that's the ticket.

frank-cannonball-richards.jpg