Seeing the high-strike

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4292 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For the most part I feel I have a pretty consistent zone. However, I must admit there are times where I'll tend to call a high-strike. Now before I get the "a strike is a strike comment" I'm talking more borderline where there's some reaction (not much) but still.

So, let's forget about the zone itself and let me ask this question from the board:

I understand head height, however, .... is there a set up point w/ your eyes or any other reference point set up that works for you for the top of the zone?

If this isn't clear let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Thanks in advance :)

Well I will chime in here. Right or wrong, this is my take on the high strike. I believe it is taught to set your eyes at the top end of the zone (different for each batter's height? Rhetorical question.) I for one hate that pitch coming at my eyeballs, so i lock in at the same height and use my chin as the defining line for the topend (on most batters this is belt high) Also using the catcher's position (his shoulder, and head height) and where in relation to this the ball comes in.

I know it's probably not the right thing to do and I may get away from it as I develop, but if it's truly borderline, sometimes I'll sneak a peak - AFTER the ball has been caught - at the batter just to confirm if it's at the belt, at the belly button, letters, etc. Again, I'm not saying it's right...but it seems to work. Fits in with keeping the timing from getting too fast as well.

For me, as I've tracked games (I keep a spreadsheet to track all my games, partners, paid or not, and some quick comments) over the past couple years, my struggles have been more with calling too many low strikes rather than being high.

If the batter takes a "normal" stance, his front elbow will generally be right at the top of the zone. I look at the stance, if normal, my indicator is his elbow closest F1. I set my eyes top of the zone. No sneak peeks, no head movement.

I try to keep my chin on top the the catchers heeed. If I can. Nose on the inside of the plate and I dont move. I try to reference the top of his zone when he gets set and go from there. I visualize a little lower cause their will be some movement of the batter. Very hard to explain this.

• Like 1

Ducking as part of their swing? Or just plain ducking?

They will duck as they take the pitch. It's intentional to make the borderline high pitch get called a ball. They'll often do it early in the count.

By "duck" I mean that they'll squat their knees ever so slightly to make the pitch appear higher than it is...so if you don't lock in at your high point for a strike, prior to the hitter ducking the pitch, you're likely to miss it if you use that strategy.

Ducking as part of their swing? Or just plain ducking?

They will duck as they take the pitch. It's intentional to make the borderline high pitch get called a ball. They'll often do it early in the count.

By "duck" I mean that they'll squat their knees ever so slightly to make the pitch appear higher than it is...so if you don't lock in at your high point for a strike, prior to the hitter ducking the pitch, you're likely to miss it if you use that strategy.

When they duck, it's easier to get the strike. Batters learn pretty quick that ducking doesnKt change the zone. On my field anyway. Textbook Kzone says normal. That doesn't encompass ducking. Same philosophy as F2 "pulling" a pitch. Tells me even he thought it was off. If B1 ducks and the pitch isn't in, tells me even he thinks it's a k.

Some say to keep your head at the top of F2 and to keep your eyes at the top of the zone. :shakehead: Well you can't do both at the same time. (unless the catcher is really low.)

I like to keep my head above the catcher. I also look at the stance and where the catcher would catch it if it was a hi strike.

Don't know if I made any sense!!! :no:

Some say to keep your head at the top of F2 and to keep your eyes at the top of the zone. :shakehead: Well you can't do both at the same time. (unless the catcher is really low.)

I like to keep my head above the catcher. I also look at the stance and where the catcher would catch it if it was a hi strike.

No, but we're used to it

No, but we're used to it

That's what I figured.

Probably sounds like bla bla bla bla bla

For the record - case 7.2.1 situation A - "with F1 bhaving a hard time throwing strikes, the coach of the team at bat instructs B1 to assume an exaggerated crouch stance to lessen his strike zone. F1's 1st pitch is directly over the plate, but approximately chin high, which the umpire calls a strike. The coach of the team at bat requests time to ask the umpire how he is determining the batter's strike zone. Ruling - the umpire informs the coach that the strike zone is the space over home plate which is halfway between the batter's shoulders and his waistline and the knees when B1 assumes his natural batting stance. If a batter assumes an exaggerated stance, such as crouching, the umpire shall use his judgement to determine what a natural stance would be for the batter. (2-35-1)

Now, if the batter stands in normally, you have a reference where you lock in. When he ducks, since you're locked in at the top of the zone, you still have the top of HIS Kzone.

If he crouches immediately, your judgement is final

Of course this doesn't work on Bagwell-ites.