Fittske24

List of face masks worn by active MLB Umpires as of 6/21/2012

Once loaded with decent pads, a harness and a throat protector, the difference in weight between the hollow tube steel frames and the Ti or Al rigs is really not that much. 

I've been going with a Honig's frame lately, as it's a bit wider, and resulting shape lends it to fitting my face better than any other frame. I get more pad contact to my jaw and forehead, because it fits my noggin better. 

Everyone like to have a rig that's a few grams lighter, of course. But no one ever talks about fit. 

I used to wear Honig's masks but I found that my neck always hurt after games. I don't find that with the Diamond. The real question is about protection, not comfort, in my opinion. So am I sacrificing protection by using the Diamond? I have a Wilson frame, but haven't used it. 

2 hours ago, blue23ll said:

I used to wear Honig's masks but I found that my neck always hurt after games. I don't find that with the Diamond. The real question is about protection, not comfort, in my opinion. So am I sacrificing protection by using the Diamond? I have a Wilson frame, but haven't used it. 

You are if you use Diamond's pre-2015 stock pads.

Because Diamond doesn't have the market presence of Wilson (and their syrupy Exclusive MLB endorsement) in the Umpire realm, nor the market presence of Nike, All-Star / UnderArmour, Rawlings or even Mizuno in the Catcher realm, it has to strategically produce and price its products. They can't afford to tie up a lot of capital in product progression once they develop and debut an item. In this context, they make two masks – the DFM-iX3 for catchers and the DFM-UMP for umpires. Both are aluminum, lightweight and strong. But both need to be at a < $70 price point, and because of this, the mask is outstanding, but the pads and harness are both woeful and unremarkable. Prior to 2015, the pads were a liability.

I admire the Diamond DFM-UMP and Honig's K-4 on their design - I myself am using a K-4N as my navy-trim rig, but I have tan TWs on it. Today's mask frames – at least those from the major manufacturers and the niche shops like +POS – are all more than reliable and protective. The difference is in the pads, and it's curious to see if Force3 is in fact putting Kevlar in its mask pads and if they will translate that to a for-everyone mask pad offering.

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

You are if you use Diamond's pre-2015 stock pads.

Because Diamond doesn't have the market presence of Wilson (and their syrupy Exclusive MLB endorsement) in the Umpire realm, nor the market presence of Nike, All-Star / UnderArmour, Rawlings or even Mizuno in the Catcher realm, it has to strategically produce and price its products. They can't afford to tie up a lot of capital in product progression once they develop and debut an item. In this context, they make two masks – the DFM-iX3 for catchers and the DFM-UMP for umpires. Both are aluminum, lightweight and strong. But both need to be at a < $70 price point, and because of this, the mask is outstanding, but the pads and harness are both woeful and unremarkable. Prior to 2015, the pads were a liability.

I admire the Diamond DFM-UMP and Honig's K-4 on their design - I myself am using a K-4N as my navy-trim rig, but I have tan TWs on it. Today's mask frames – at least those from the major manufacturers and the niche shops like +POS – are all more than reliable and protective. The difference is in the pads, and it's curious to see if Force3 is in fact putting Kevlar in its mask pads and if they will translate that to a for-everyone mask pad offering.

I have Team Wendy's on all my masks, going to try using the Wilson with TW's in a future game. 

4 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

New mask for Mr. West in Seattle tonight? Never seen him without black pads. 

It appears to be a black Wilson aluminum with tan non wraparound pads. 

9 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

It appears to be a black Wilson aluminum with tan non wraparound pads. 

It's what he wore either last year or the year before. Probably just pulling it out of the gear bag after not using it for a while.

• Like 1

On July 18, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Stk004 said:

New mask for Mr. West in Seattle tonight? Never seen him without black pads. 

He was wearing this for the first month and a half or so of this season, then switched over to the black pads, and now switched back. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

It's the Wilson ti V1 black version as sold by Wilson Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

new shape? old shape?

Also, it's the brown pads not tan. He does go back to the black amara suede as mentioned, and right now if you want the actual tan w/o the mlb logo buy UA's dynalite. I also have a set of tan/black w/o the mlb logo

On July 29, 2016 at 8:56 AM, acpar72 said:

It's the Wilson ti V1 black version as sold by Wilson Japan.

Have more MLB guys been wearing this design because I've seen a lot of guys wearing masks that are black but have thinner bars than the dyna lite? They're not the new aluminums because they have the throat guard that is angled forward. Just wondering.

22 hours ago, LittleBlue said:

Have more MLB guys been wearing this design because I've seen a lot of guys wearing masks that are black but have thinner bars than the dyna lite? They're not the new aluminums because they have the throat guard that is angled forward. Just wondering.

Two years ago, yes.  Now not as much do.  Some (Eric Cooper, Mike Everitt for example) switched to the Wilson Aluminum.  

9 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

Didn't take long for DeJesus to get talked into the new Ti with Wilson pads rather than the old Ti with TW909096300dbeda131fd883ab2950085e.jpgbc7ec3993ddf6ac90bf68f6ec63ffa87.jpg

I'm surprised he kept the stock pads. Why not just put the Wilson logo on the TW's?

1 hour ago, LittleBlue said:

I'm surprised he kept the stock pads. Why not just put the Wilson logo on the TW's?

1 hour ago, acpar72 said:

Didn't take long for DeJesus to get talked into the new Ti with Wilson pads rather than the old Ti with TW909096300dbeda131fd883ab2950085e.jpgbc7ec3993ddf6ac90bf68f6ec63ffa87.jpg

Anyone have a guess as to why he would do this?

53 minutes ago, tpatience said:

Anyone have a guess as to why he would do this?

he wanted to try the wrap-arounds?  

13 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

he wanted to try the wrap-arounds?  

Are those wraparounds in the picture? I know the new Wilson TI doesn't come with wraparound pads but I also know these MLB guys can get whatever they want. 

Just now, Stk004 said:

Are those wraparounds in the picture? I know the new Wilson TI doesn't come with wraparound pads but I also know these MLB guys can get whatever they want. 

I guess they're not :( 

It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to switch out the pads, so even if he got it that day he should have been able to change the pads. Wonder how long he had the TW's. If it wasn't for that long maybe he tried them out and didn't like them so he switched back to the regular pads with the new mask?

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:59 PM, LittleBlue said:

It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to switch out the pads, so even if he got it that day he should have been able to change the pads. Wonder how long he had the TW's. If it wasn't for that long maybe he tried them out and didn't like them so he switched back to the regular pads with the new mask?

I'm pretty sure he wore those tan TWs on more than one occurrence.

4 hours ago, rjt6 said:

I'm pretty sure he wore those tan TWs on more than one occurrence.

That makes it even more surprising that he would switch back to the stock pads so quickly.

Maybe I missed it in here but what's up with Jeff Nelson's throat guard? Looks like he chopped it off of another silver mask and put it on his black Mizuno.