List of face masks worn by active MLB Umpires as of 6/21/2012

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let this thread be the end-all-be-all answer to the question: What mask does (Insert MLB Umpire name here) wear??? First the stats at a glance: Frames: 30 - Wilson Dyna-Lite WTA3007 17

He called each umpire and asked them,

A company rep is always going to tell you to never modify their product. That's a CYA on his part, and a smart one.

Posted Images

Was watching a spring training game a few days back, and I don't think Bill Miller wears a dyna-lite. It's one of those masks from the late 1990s. I think it's the mask that came right before the current Dyna-lite.

Looks like Mizuno to me

Was watching a spring training game a few days back, and I don't think Bill Miller wears a dyna-lite. It's one of those masks from the late 1990s. I think it's the mask that came right before the current Dyna-lite.

Looks like Mizuno to me

Doesn't have the right shape to be a Mizuno. It looks like an old Dyna Lite to me. 

Heavy bars, ear flaps without the reinforcing bar. I agree and think that it is a late 90s Dyna-Lite. Think I still have one...

@GerryB

Why do masks nowadays have the reinforcing bars on the ear flaps?

@rjt6 that question should be make to @Fittske24, the resident gear pimp.

@Fittske24

Heavy bars, ear flaps without the reinforcing bar. I agree and think that it is a late 90s Dyna-Lite. Think I still have one...

@GerryB

I've wondered and why Wilson changed. I don't think the Mizuno has them.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there an updated list for the 2014 MLB umpires?  Just curious as today I used a HSM (All-Star System 7 MVP4000) for the first time.  I felt like Darth Vader though I also felt very confident moving above the pitcher when the batter is crowding the plate.  Waiting for that first "drilling" to see how a direct impact is handled.  Had my Wilson titanium traditional hanging on the back-stop just in case.  This HSM felt very good on the noggin and the view was great.  The only modification I made was to reverse the lower straps that connect the helmet to the back of the head piece.  It comes with the loop on the outside of the helmet with the elastic strap running from the helmet to the back piece from the inside of the helmet.  While practicing with the bucket, the straps would hang-up on my ears easily. I changed the straps to run on the outside of the helmet to the back piece to prevent the ear snag.  I think I'm hooked.

I'm bummed to sway away from the traditional mask but the bottom line for me is to try to prevent concussions to my noggin.  I used to "high-five" Junior Seau back in my USC water polo days and the long term effects of concussions scares me.

Again, is there an updated list of masks used by MLB umpires for 2014?  Thanks, Bill Slope CA_D62 / OCBOA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys, just wanted to let you know Im on it.  I have compiled data since opening day and am coming up with some incredible stuff.  Fittske is Jordan, Im Kobe.  In other words, Im improving on his already greatness.  Here is a quick glimpse at how methodical my study has been.  Here is Chris Segal wearing the Diamond (non matte), Honig's 4", and Black TW  in a game.  I believe this should be all sewn up by the All Star break and I will post then.

• 1 month later...

An up-to-date list I typed up:

MLB Umpire Masks

1. Bruce Dreckman – Mizuno 2QA 121 with Wilson non-wrap around pads with Mizuno throat guard
2. Dan Bellino – Wilson Chrome Moliben with Wilson memory foam pads (black)
3. Tim Welke – Wilson Dyna-Lite with Two-Tone pads with Wilson throat guard
4. Chad Fairchild – Wilson Titanium with Two-Tone pads with Wilson throat guard
5. Dale Scott – Wilson Dyna-Lite with tan non-wrap around bottom pad and two-tone wrap around top pad
6. Mark Carlson – Wilson Titanium with black Team Wendy’s
7. Brian O’Nora – Nike Titanium with black Team Wendy’s with Wilson throat guard
8. Jeff Kellogg – Wilson Dyna-Lite with Black Team Wendy’s with Wilson throat guard
9. Brian Gorman – Wilson Titanium with two-tone wrap around pads
10. Phil Cuzzi – All Star FM 25 with black Wilson memory foam pads
11. Tony Randazzo – Wilson Dyna-Lite with Two-Tone wrap around pads and sun shield
12. Gerry Davis – Wilson Dyna-Lite with Black Wilson Pads with throat guard
13. Todd Tichenor – Nike mask with tan Belgard pads and Unequal with tan pads
14. Mark Wegner – Wilson Dyna-Lite with Two-Tone wrap around pads with Wilson throat guard and sun shield
15. Ed Hickox – All-Star MVP4000
16. Mike DiMuro – Wilson Dyna-Lite with black Team Wendy’s
17. John Hirschbeck – Wilson Dyna-Lite with Two-Tone pads and Wilson throat guard
18. Marcus Patillo – Wilson Low-Profile Titanium with tan Wilson memory foam pads with Wilson throat guard
19. Vic Carapazza – Nike titanium with black Wilson memory foam pads
20. Tom Hallion – Wilson Dyna-Lite with black Wilson memory foam pads
21. Hunter Wendelstedt – Wilson Titanium with tan Team Wendy’s and Spyder throat guard
22. Joe West – Wilson Dyna-Lite and black Wilson memory foam pads
23. Lance Barksdale – Wilson titanium with Two-Tone Wilson pads
24. Jerry Layne – Wilson Titanium with Wilson two-tone pads
25. Fieldin Culbreth – All Star FM25 with black Wilson memory foam pads
26. Bill Miller – Old Wilson Dyna-Lite with tan Wilson non-wrap around pads
27. Larry Vanover – Old Wilson Dyna-Lite with tan Wilson non-wrap around pads with Mizuno throat guard
28. Jim Wolf – Nike Titanium with black Wilson memory foam pads and Wilson throat guard
29. Sean Barber – Nike Titanium with Nike pads
30. Rob Drake – Wilson Powder-coated Titanium with black Wilson memory foam pads and Wilson throat guard
31. Pat Hoberg – Wilson Titanium with black Team Wendy’s and Wilson throat guard
32. Dana DeMuth – Wilson Titanium with Wilson Two-Tone pads
33. Mike Winters – Wilson Dyna-Lite with Team Wendy’s and Honig’s throat guard
34. Sam Holbrook (as of ‘13) – Wilson Powder-coated Titanium with black Wilson wrap-around pads
36. Tim McClelland (as of ’13) – Nike Titanium with black Wilson non-wrap around pads and throat guard
38. Gary Cederstrom – Wilson Shock FX with modified frame (possibly powder-coated white)
39. Paul Nauert – Wilson Dyna-Lite with black Wilson memory foam pads
40. Jeff Gosney – Wilson Titanium with black Team Wendy’s
41. Jerry Meals – Wilson Titanium with tan Wilson memory foam pads and Wilson throat guard
43. Paul Schrieber – Wilson Dyna-Lite with Wilson black wrap around pads
44. Kerwin Danley – Wilson Shock FX with Wilson throat guard
45. Jeff Nelson – Mizuno 2QA 129 with tan Team Wendy’s
46. Ron Kulpa – Wilson Dyna-Lite with black Wilson memory foam pads
47. Gabe Morales – Black Honig’s with Black Wilson wrap-around pads with throat guard
48. Anthony Johnson – Wilson Titanium with black Team Wendy’s and Wilson throat guard
49. Andy Fletcher – Wilson Titanium with Wilson black memory foam bottom pad, two-tone top pad and throat guard
50. Paul Emmel – Wilson Dyna-Lite with black Wilson wrap-around
51. Marvin Hudson – Wilson Titanium with tan Team Wendy’s
52. Bill Welke – Wilson Dyna-Lite with black Wilson wrap-around pads and throat guard
53. Greg Gibson – All Star MVP4000
54. C. B. Bucknor – All Star MVP4000
55. Angel Hernandez – Wilson Dyna-Lite with black Wilson memory foam pads
56. Eric Cooper – Wilson powder-coated Titanium with black Wilson memory foam pads and Wilson throat guard
57. Mike Everitt – Wilson powder-coated Titanium with black Wilson memory foam pads and Wilson throat guard
58. Dan Iassogna – Mizuno 2QA 122 with tan Wilson non wrap-around pads and Mizuno throat guard
59. Jon Byrne – Wilson Titanium with black Team Wendy’s
60. Marty Foster – Wilson Dyna-Lite with two-tone pads and sun shield
61. Bob Davidson – Wilson Dyna-Lite with tan Wilson wrap-around pads and Wilson throat guard
62. Chad Whitson – Wilson powder-coated Titanium and tan Wilson memory foam pads
63. Laz Diaz – Wilson Dyna-Lite with black wrap-around pads
64. Alan Porter – Wilson Titanium with black Wilson memory foam pads and Wilson throat guard
65. Ted Barrett – Wilson powder-coated Titanium with black wrap-around pads and Mizuno throat guard
66. Jim Joyce – Wilson Titanium with black Team Wendy’s
67. Seth Buckminster – Nike Titanium with Nike pads
68. Chris Guccione – Wilson Dyna-Lite with Team Wendy’s
70. D. J. Reyburn – Mizuno 2QA 121 with tan Team Wendy’s
71. Jordan Baker – All Star MVP4000
72. Alfonso Marquez – Mizuno 2QA 122 with Wilson grey pads and Spyder throat guard
73. Hal Gibson – Mizuno 2QA 122 with Wilson two-tone pads and Wilson throat guard
74. John Tumpane – Wilson Titanium with black Team Wendy’s
75. Tom Woodring – Wilson Titanium with black Wilson wrap-around pads
76. Mike Muchlinski – Nike Titanium with black Wilson memory foam pads
77. Jim Reynolds – Wilson powder-coated Titanium with black pads
78. Adam Hamari – Nike Titanium with two-tone Belgard pads and MacGregor throat guard
79. Manny Gonzalez – Wilson Shock FX
80. Adrian Johnson – Wilson Dyna-Lite with black Wilson memory-foam pads
81. Quinn Wolcott – Nike Titanium with tan Team Wendy’s
82. Clint Fagan – Wilson Titanium with black Team Wendy’s
83. Mike Estabrook – Nike Titanium with black Team Wendy’s
84. Angel Campos – Mizuno 2QA 122 with black Mizuno pads and Spyder throat guard
85. Stu Scheurwater – Wilson Dyna-Lite with black Team Wendy’s and Spyder throat guard
86. David Rackley – Nike titanium with Wilson two-tone pads and Wilson throat guard
87. Scott Barry – Nike Titanium black with Wilson memory foam pads
88. Doug Eddings – Wilson Ti with blk Wilson memory foam bottom pad and Wilson two-tone top pad, Wilson throat guard, and sun shield
89. Cory Blaser – Nike Titanium with black Wilson memory foam pads and
90. Mark Ripperger – Mizuno 2QA 121 with black Team Wendy’s and Mizuno throat guard
91. Brian Knight – Wilson Dyna-Lite with two-tone pads and Honig’s throat guard
92. James Hoye – Wilson Dyna-Lite with tan non-wrap around pads
93. Will Little – Nike Titanium with Wilson grey pads
94. Lance Barrett – Nike Titanium with black Team Wendy’s
95. Tim Timmons – Wilson powder-coated Titanium with black Team Wendy’s
96. Chris Segal – Diamond black with Black Team Wendy’s and Honig’s throat guard
97. Ben May – Wilson Dyna-Lite with Two-tone pads
98. Chris Conroy – Nike Titanium with Black Team Wendy’s and Wilson throat guard
99. Toby Basner – Nike Titanium with black Team Wendy’s

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Im a little slow if you can't tell.  Still have a list coming.  Just wanted to give you all these two dandies.  (Who cares, but I have the information so here you go.)   

1.  Chris Guccione left his mask out on the table one night and it seems one of his children may have went a bit crazy with the Sharpie.  As you can tell, these were born TAN TW pads, but the front of the chin pad and the top of the forehead pad as well as SOME of the velcro has been sharpied!!! 

2.  Mr. Marvin Hudson knows someone!!!!  Either Tony at Mask it (which I would recommend)  or someone at Wilson because he indeed has the 2014 Wilson Aluminum but in Wilson Ti grey!!!!  Enjoy

• Like 1

Seems to me that out of the guys who wear HSMs, the MVP4000 is far and away the most popular choice.

Interesting...

All Star saw an opportunity and jumped.  They designed it according to input from the big boys as All Star does with much of its equipment.  But, as HSM go, Wilson is worn too. 

• 6 months later...