List of face masks worn by active MLB Umpires as of 6/21/2012

Fittske24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2570 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Sorry... got the 2510 or what ever it is. Lets just call it the basic shell and steel cage System7 HSM. I do not know the reason more don't wear the Mizuno or Easton. Probably because they just haven't broken into the marked for us umpires. I like the look of the Mizuno catchers gear. Not to much for the Easton. (The Easton HSMs have this really weird "bump" on the forehead part of the helmet.... don't know why, but it looks aweful.)

• 2 months later...

Go all-star. The MVP4000 has washable pads. The Wilson one are glued in and can fall out. I have had no trouble with my All-Star helmet. Great purchase. Great protection.

think I'm gonna make this investment after I get a couple of checks from my Hs association. The shock FX is getting a bit old as the doggone shock absorbers keep breaking and I would really like to be able to remove the pads... I've read that you can put the team wendys pads designed for the military helmets inside of the mask to replace the stock ones...m anyone have any experience with this?

Never tried Team Wendy pads in my MVP4000, but it is an intriguing idea. I really like the stock all-star padding. I have had no issues with it whatsoever. 

Hey Fitts-

Are more guys wearing Nikes with TWs this year, or do I just notice them more?

A little of both. I thnk more guys are wearing TW more than anything. There was a big bush to get more guys in TW to help with concussions.

Hey Fitts-

Are more guys wearing Nikes with TWs this year, or do I just notice them more?

A little of both. I thnk more guys are wearing TW more than anything. There was a big bush to get more guys in TW to help with concussions.

I love it when Fittske talks dirty! LOL :D:wave:

Watching Sunday Night Baseball tonight and a couple things come to my mind watching F. Culbreth:

1. Wilson Pads do not seem to fit the FM25 mask well...something just looks off.

2. His TG looks like a duck billed platypus :wave:

I've been looking at this thread for quite some time, and was curious, so I bought a Wilson a3007. I have no idea why there are so many MLB guys wearing this mask. I also own a Wilson Ti and the a3007 is inferior in every way.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a journeyman Millwright/Fabricator/Welder. If it's made of metal, I can build it, weld it, or fix it.

The lower bars (TG portion) are not part of the integral structure. If you have them removed, the joints should be tig welded together to prevent any deformity/bending of the rest of the frame. It's not a complicated task. Should cost about $100. Someone listed the removed part of a Nike on ebay for $200.

I personally wouldn't do it, not because it would diminish the structural integrity, but I just don't like it. Each his own.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...