List of face masks worn by active MLB Umpires as of 6/21/2012

Fittske24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2543 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I don't like the look and I would question the protection. If you take a hit in the throat guard, you are creating leverage through your jaw to the top of your head.

Perhaps maybe he is protecting himself from hits the lowest bar of the mask as well as adding throat protection. Those shots can be painful. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23792817&c_id=mlb

I don't like the look and I would question the protection. If you take a hit in the throat guard, you are creating leverage through your jaw to the top of your head.

definitely changes it from a pendulum to a fulcrum. Strange

now i gotta hit the dictionary

Cory Blaser does this too

Not quite. Blazer uses a Nike mask with the built in throat guard removed. His mask functions like a Mizuno mask.

8174112c10964c32d289ce803e59c950.jpg

What is the point of removing it?

To allow the throat guard to swing more freely. The TG has unresricted movement and dosen't bind or clank against the lower built in throat guard bars.

I've been thinking about removing the bottom off of my Nike as well.

I'd think twice before messing with the structural integrity of the mask by sawing off a section of it.

Just because MLB umpires do something, fellas, don't blindly believe it's tested, or even well thought out. I've met a few of these cats, and there's no rocket scientists in the bunch. They're just regular Joes.

• Like 1

I am a journeyman Millwright/Fabricator/Welder. If it's made of metal, I can build it, weld it, or fix it.

The lower bars (TG portion) are not part of the integral structure. If you have them removed, the joints should be tig welded together to prevent any deformity/bending of the rest of the frame. It's not a complicated task. Should cost about $100. Someone listed the removed part of a Nike on ebay for $200.

I personally wouldn't do it, not because it would diminish the structural integrity, but I just don't like it. Each his own.

That Cory Blaser rig is a terrible set-up....right Fitts?

Oh contraire mon frere ....

You have a Nike, do you wear it that way?

Nope I wear the full nike mask. I do know some that wear the mask this way. To the points made by Jocko, there is no harm in cutting the lower bars off as long as you don't damage the lower welds. The mask will function the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The only advantage of titanium over steel is weight, each will bend just as the other will, i've had 3 wilson shock fx titaniums that have bent on me after taking foul balls off the mask. Steel bars bend the same, i just prefer the titanium because of weight. I wish i could still wear a traditional mask, a couple concussions and trips to the hospital later and i have to wear a bucket, however i would like to see more choices in HSMs in addition to the shock fx and MVP 4000 though.

A company rep is always going to tell you to never modify their product. That's a CYA on his part, and a smart one.

exactly..............its smart business.....esp when speaking to us umpires as tinkering with gear is inevitable......

wearing your that guard in front of your mask only gives you extra protection against a ball that would normally zip directly beneath your facemask. The "pendulum" protects that as well as a ball that bounces up underneath the mask.

• 5 weeks later...

You have the Easton and Mizuno as well as others. I have found that the MVP is the most comfortable. I just purchased the MVP2500 since it was less expensive. I might upgrade to the titanium cage when the steel one eventually bends.

I don't think i've seen the mizuno, and I don't like the looks of the older all stars mvps rawlings or any of those hsms for that matter. The 2 that i like the looks of are the shock fx and the MVP 4000 i will have to look into the mizuno though