Guest Brydgie

Force out how far can a player retreat

Question

Guest Brydgie

Playing MLB rules . one out .R1and R2 . Ball is lined to second baseman he elects to tag player going to second. R1 stops . As the second basemen attempts to tag him he retreats back to a now occupied 1B by no less than 5 steps. Before he can tag him he try's to throw out player going home. He fails to get player at home. Retreating player now advanced to second. Everyone was safe? Q. Should the player advancing to 2B be called out emediatly for avoiding the tag by retreating more than 3feet as he would be if he went off the base path?

12 answers to this question

If the ball was lined to F4, did F4 catch the line drive for the out?

Let's pretend that F4 didn't catch, intentionally drop the line drive, and it wasn't an infield fly.

As you describe it, I would not call out R1. I'm interpreting the retreat to be in a straight line back to the base after the initial tag attempt. I call it good base running.

Thanks for your question.

Guest Brydgie

Ground ball to 2nd base. So you say the R1 can go all the way to where he came even if that bag is now occupied? If this is the case can you also retreat back to home plate if on a bunt and a pitcher elects to tag the batter and allowing a player to advance to third base say.

Ground ball to 2nd base. So you say the R1 can go all the way to where he came even if that bag is now occupied? If this is the case can you also retreat back to home plate if on a bunt and a pitcher elects to tag the batter and allowing a player to advance to third base say.

Of course he can do that. When going back to home he's out when reaching or passing home but when going back to another base he can stand on that base. The "forced to leave a base" concept only means that the base is no longer a safe haven for the runner and he will be out if tagged even while touching the base.

A BIG myth in my area is that as soon as the BR starts retreating backward between HP and 1B that he is out and that is a big misunderstanding of the rules.

A BIG myth in my area is that as soon as the BR starts retreating backward between HP and 1B that he is out and that is a big misunderstanding of the rules.

The misunderstanding comes from softball where the B-R IS out if she retreats toward home.

• Like 1

The misunderstanding comes from softball where the B-R IS out if she retreats toward home.

I had heard that before, but wasn't sure. That would make a lot of sense.

The runner's base path is a direct line BETWEEN bases. As long as he doesn't deviate >3' from his established base path LATERALLY, he he is entitled to run back and forth until he becomes safe at 2b or is put out. Consider this : R1 gets pickled on the OP play. F4 throws to F3 standing on 1B before BR touches. BR is out. F3 throws to F4. R1 retreats to 1B and beats the throw. He is safe. Good base running. Especially if a run scores due to his efforts.

• Like 1

The runner's base path might be a direct line between the bases but it might not!  The runner makes his own base path. 

Once a fielder has the ball and is attempting to make a tag the runner's base path is a direct line from where he is to the base to which he is advancing/retreating.  He cannot deviate from that line by more than three feet in an attempt to avoid the tag.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2012 at 9:12 AM, Rich Ives said:

Correct ...

For softball umpires ... remember, the batter-runner must take a step backwards to be called out.  Just stopping is not illegal.

11 hours ago, Lou B said:

The runner's base path might be a direct line between the bases but it might not!  The runner makes his own base path. 

Once a fielder has the ball and is attempting to make a tag the runner's base path is a direct line from where he is to the base to which he is advancing/retreating.  He cannot deviate from that line by more than three feet in an attempt to avoid the tag.

Finally.  I've been waiting nearly 7.5 years for someone to add that.  I'd just about given up.

• Haha 2