semper_fi_72

High School Association Meetings

Our Association requires attendance at 6 meetings that are scheduled Jan through May on Monday nights. The meetings start at 6 PM and last any where from 2 to 2.5 hours. Usually there is a make up meeting scheduled in case you can not make one of them.

I received email listing the dates for 2011.

The meetings are held in a HS lecture room.

I immediately noticed one of the meeting dates was Monday, Feb 14th, Valentines Day.

It was also pointed out that there were no make up meetings scheduled for 2011.

I responded to the email stating that I and I would assume others, would have problems with a meeting on that night. As we would want to spend it with our significant other and family.

I received a response back from the Association that the dates where provided by the School District and they had no control over the dates the lecture hall was available.

The response also said that we all have to make sacrifices at times and that it is only a few hours. The responder also said his wife understands. It also said if anyone misses a meeting they may not be eligible for playoffs and may not be considered a member in good standing.

I immediately responded to that email.

I stated that if missing a meeting on Valentine's Day to be with my significant other and family on that day would keep me from being a member in good standing that I wanted a ruling from the BOD now. I could careless about playoff games. Additionally, should the BOD decide that I would not be a member in good standing then I would expect an immediate refund of my Association and Assignor Fee since these dates and requirements were not made public prior to the fee deadline.

I made enough sacrifices that involved my family during my 20 year Military Career and do not consider umpiring High School Baseball worth sacrificing anything when it comes to my significant other or family. It is only a very, very small portion of my yearly games. Especially when you consider making 6 meetings that I could be working games and getting paid and having to work three HS games just to recover the Association, Assignor and required insurance costs.

I have plenty of Umpiring I can do at other levels. They may not pay as much as High School but are generally closer to home and usually a lot easier and more friendly to umpire than a High School game.

I have also been asked to consider being the UIC for a Little League which I consider a honor and am giving a lot of consideration to.

Just irks me when someone says we have to make sacrifices over significant others for something like Umpiring HS Baseball. :kissass:

Unless they have served in careers such as the Military, Law Enforcement or as a Fire Fighter, these people have no idea what making a personal sacrifice is. :hi5:

At this point I may be done with HS Ball because of this but I will not sacrifice anything when it comes to my significant other and family at this point in my life.

:shakehead:

:kissass:

:hi5:

In 34+ years of marriage, I have never observed 2/14 as anything other than the day after 2/13. I recognize that I am probably a very small minority that can claim that. That has nothing to do with anything.

You do not have to be Military, Law Enforcement or Fire Fighter, to make personal sacrifice. While I am a veteran, it was not the military that kept me away from my son in his early years, but my professional business career.

I think it is unconscionable that your organization expects attendance at 100% of the meetings. And then to take a truly belligerent attitude when questioned about the schedule...:shakehead:

I hope you are able to work things out, but wouldn't blame you for walking.

Good luck with your decision.

It's a shame your group is being so unreasonable. You might want to mention they need to be careful about requiring your games being dependant of 100% attendance. It is a slippery slope toward them changing your status from independant contractor to employee. If they give you a percentage of meetings or as in the past, alternate meetings then your staus is in tact. If they require 100% attendance, they are crossing from requiring some training to telling when and where to be to get work. It is a slope they don't want to go down. Our group wanted to do the same thing last year and I pointed the same thing out.

For almost nine years, I have worked in an industry that's open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and in a position that requires to me to possibly work any of those hours with any days off for my weekend (usually together). For the past year, I've worked night shift (11p-7a) with weekdays off as my weekend. Needless to say, I've sacrificed a lot.

My family and I have learned through the years that holidays don't have to be celebrated on the holidays. I've had Thanksgiving on every day of the week, Christmas on December 30th, and celebrated New Year's with every timezone between +0200 and -0900. Like Larry, Valentine's Day is just another day -- I might get her a card or let her know how much I love her on 02/14, but she would be just as happy going out for dinner on 02/17 or 02/18 -- plus the lines are much shorter.

That said, I respect your feelings. My organization only has one mandatory meeting for baseball -- everything else is optional as long as you attend enough to keep your status active. They also offer weekly training classes in Jan/Feb, but attendance is only "highly suggested" for new umpires.

If your organization's rules are not what you want, then I respect your decision to leave. Maybe your leaving will have them look at their decision.

Show you cool, or laid back my HS assoc is.. We are suppose to have a meeting on Jan 11th.. National Championship game for College foot ball right?.. well at the meeting the other night we were going over night of meeting and this night came up... and the Assignor says, shoot I forgot ( in my best Southern accent) ..ok move it to tues instead...LOL

See it can be done.

I have received two responses back from the Association.

First one said missing the one meeting may keep me from getting playoff assignments but would not take me out of the Member in Good Standing Status.

Second one said that if I miss any other meetings, I could always try to attend a meeting with one of our neighboring Associations and return a signed letter from them stating what training was covered during the meeting to get credit.

Both said they would hate to lose me as a member.

As said above, it can be done and is what they should have stated from the beginning instead of taking such a hard line approach.

I also understand I may be a little hard nosed on this but at this point in my life that is how I feel. As mstaylor stated they are not a employer but seem to be crossing the line and acting as one. I will address that with them so they do not get the Association in trouble, especially here in California.

Go SF72---All this crap for an """""avocation""""" not a vocation.

Of course I imagine (no I have not taken a poll) a few (not all thank goodness) of these boards and assignors are on power trips concerning their power and position. They get all the games they want, including all the good games. And, I imagine some assignors in certain areas of the country, assign multiple sports and pull down a 6 figure amount as an assignor, and demand absolute allegiance without fail, and if they do not get it, they put the screws to you and could really care less about you, because there is always someone else waiting in line. Now, I am not saying that I know about any situation like this personally, but I am just speculating this does occur somewhere. Once again, officiating is an avocation supposedly, not a vocation.

And I would also imagine (no, I've never taken a poll on this either) there have been several "divorces" cause by "over officiating" and the word "over" does not mean being nit picky and literal about the rules on the field. All for an avocation, not a vocation?????

Edited by dumbdumb

For almost nine years, I have worked in an industry that's open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and in a position that requires to me to possibly work any of those hours with any days off for my weekend (usually together). For the past year, I've worked night shift (11p-7a) with weekdays off as my weekend. Needless to say, I've sacrificed a lot.

My family and I have learned through the years that holidays don't have to be celebrated on the holidays. I've had Thanksgiving on every day of the week, Christmas on December 30th, and celebrated New Year's with every timezone between +0200 and -0900. Like Larry, Valentine's Day is just another day -- I might get her a card or let her know how much I love her on 02/14, but she would be just as happy going out for dinner on 02/17 or 02/18 -- plus the lines are much shorter.

That said, I respect your feelings. My organization only has one mandatory meeting for baseball -- everything else is optional as long as you attend enough to keep your status active. They also offer weekly training classes in Jan/Feb, but attendance is only "highly suggested" for new umpires.

If your organization's rules are not what you want, then I respect your decision to leave. Maybe your leaving will have them look at their decision.

I work in the entertainment business so holidays are part of my business. I understand exactly what you are saying but others are in a different mindset and holidays are special. I was born on Memorial Day week-end and I actually cut my honeymoon a day short to work a show, that was 24 yrs ago.

I do enough boneheaded things both on my own and through umpiring that it has placed unnecessary strains on my marriage. This year alone the list includes:

*Working a DH Legion game on my B-day (Had it blocked out but was such a busy weekend was begged to take some choice games and gave in)

*Forgetting to block out my wife's cousin's wedding day.

*Forgetting to block out another dozen day's my wife asked me to block for one reason or another.

*Games getting rescheduled at the last minute. (Ex had games at 9 & 12 moved to 1 & 4. It's an issue when you made your plans around the original times)

*Overall amount of time I'm not at home for umpiring

And I barely went over 100 games this year (new low for me)

But to schedule a meeting on a day which while not a true holiday is revered as time to be spent with loved ones it a bit much, and it probably wouldn't have been as bad if it weren't for the responses "We all have to make sacrifices" & "my wife understands"

I'd have half the mind to stage a drive to get guys not to attend, then see what they do.

Like others have said this is an advocation, not a job, not a lifelong committment. My wife would gripe but understand if it were for work or something that mattered in the grand scheme of things; but this is doesn't fit the bill. :wave::banghead::banghead:

While I understand and agree with semper on this, I guess I'm lucky, my wife seems to understand my passion for umpiring. I've been umpiring since 2000 and this year was the first that I didn't have games on: valentine's day, her birthday, and/or our anniversary.