Forfeit for metal spikes

Paperipper17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4902 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had a 12U DH this afternoon. I'm on the dish for game one, and in the 3rd R3(visitors) tries to score on a passed ball. He's out by a good bit, but the problem is he stays tangled with F1 for a good while. Finally they get unwrapped and go to their dugouts. Between innings (After the next half), the park coordinator and visiting HC come to me and my partner. Apparently, R3 gave F1 a nasty spike wound on his ribcage (He showed us as we were leaving; it was pretty bad. Oozing blood 20 minutes after the fact). PC was adamant that it was his insurance policy, and the game couldn't continue until the visiting team's six or seven offending players switched to molded cleats or shoes. VC was equally as adamant that 12U teams all over the city were wearing them and his kids were only following along. FWIW, home HC was indifferent; it hadn't been a dirty slide or anything. VC started to get belligerent, accusing PC of trying to "screw [his] team again." No idea what happened the first time. He tried to appeal to us, but my partner (who is FAR more senior than I am) said that our job is to ensure safety and follow the rules of the park; ergo, if the park coordinator says no spikes, then no spikes. So, instead of having his kids switch to molded cleats (which most of them had) or tennis shoes-which, IMO, were more of a safety risk than steel cleats-he pulls his team off the field and forfeits both games. I was really disappointed; the first three innings had me expecting two very good games. I haven't done much 12U this fall, but I haven't noticed any teams wearing spikes, either this year or last. From what I remember of my own 12U days ten years ago, we weren't allowed to wear steel cleats until 13U. Are they standard for 12U in any of your areas?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USSSA - No metal in 12U Play.

I have not seen any 12U using metal.

Check with your league.

Then one important question for plate meeting.

"Are your players legally and properly equipped".

Mangers/Coaches better say Yes or we are not playing until they do.

USSSA - No metal in 12U Play.

I have not seen any 12U using metal.

Check with your league.

Then one important question for plate meeting.

"Are your players legally and properly equipped".

Mangers/Coaches better say Yes or we are not playing until they do.

Absolutely. That's mandatory for our pregame meetings as well. Now on I'll know to ask about that particular matter with that age group.

VC specifically said "We went to the USSSA nationals and they all had metal spikes on." I knew he was talking out of his ass.

Nah, the coach just went to the Standard Response Checklist for Arguing with Umpires (2010 edition):

Response One: "He didn't do it" (Nope, we can all see that he's wearing them)

Response Two: "It's not a Rule" ( I guess it's a rule, that's not going to work)

Response Three: "They never call that" (Getting close)

Response Four: "The last guys didn't call it" (BINGO!)

They use this for everything from OB to Strike Zone: seeing them use this for metal spikes is nothing out of the ordinary.

So, instead of having his kids switch to molded cleats (which most of them had) or tennis shoes-which, IMO, were more of a safety risk than steel cleats-he pulls his team off the field and forfeits both games. I was really disappointed; the first three innings had me expecting two very good games. I haven't done much 12U this fall, but I haven't noticed any teams wearing spikes, either this year or last. From what I remember of my own 12U days ten years ago, we weren't allowed to wear steel cleats until 13U. Are they standard for 12U in any of your areas?

I echo others. I know of NO league that allows metal spikes below age 12. Having said that you and your association as a whole need to get the HOUSE rules where-ever you umpire in. Some have penalties when an individual does not have proper equipment.

At the Plate Conference I echo another poster "Teams properly Equipped"

Also, your OP is a MAIN reason to get PAID at the plate before the games begin. If you are scheduled for a double DIP then you get paid for 2 games unless there is a potential rain storm etc. coming your way. We cannot control the weather BUT it's NOT our fault or problem if a team forfeits for no reason. In your situation payment is for 2 games.

Pete Booth

I believe PONY allows metal cleats at any age as long as they are not altered by "sharpening". The local PONY league can have a house rule not allowing them but I'm told once you go to tournament play no house rules are allowed.

Jim is correct, it allows metal cleats but doesn't specify any age restrictions. Nice catch.