plate video (feedback appreciated)

PonyUmpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4047 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hi guys. I'm a youth umpire, and am looking for feedback on my plate mechanics, timing, and basically anything else you can think of. Please don't be too harsh about my attire,

because as a youth ump, I really don't have enough money to buy my own equipment, so I just use what the league provides. Any suggestions about affordable equipment,

however, would be most welcome. Here are a few videos of me working the plate in a PONY game (11-12 yr olds). Please comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfXOVl7ai1c

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First suggestion I have is going to a second hand store and finding a nice pair of grey pants that will fit your shin pads underneath them. I've found just like new for dirt cheap in that kind of a polace before, just adds to the image.

When there is no one on first, exit out the left and follow the runner up the line unless there is a fair/foul call on 3rd base line

Solid Strike mechanic, pretty good timing

Good that you stay down longer on a ball call, makes it clear visually to everyone the call you are making

Runner on first get to 3rd base to make the call if necessary (from first video, you seemed to have done that on the 3rd video) and be prepared to call off your partner so you don't both make a call

Foul calls were very quiet, don't be afraid to make some noise

Good that you don't lock in until the pitcher comes to set (or so it seems, as we can't see the pitcher, but the timing makes sense)

One piece of harsh criticisim..... for gods sake, don't wear your hat backwards

I wish a lot of kids I worked with had mechanics anywhere near as good as yours, like the rest of us, there is room for impovement but thats what experience and time gives us. I think i was being pretty nit picky, and I may be way off but I say you are off to a good start.

I agree with everything renegadewolf said. I liked your timing also.I'll emphasize a few things he touched on.

Make the close foul ball calls loud. Let everyone hear you. No problem just holding up your hands on the obvious fouls off the screen, etc., but when they're hit close to the line and foul, Yell it out.

A pair of grey slacks from walmart or the 2nd hand shop will make a huge difference in appearance. A small investment there, and another $10- $15 or so for a combo hat so you can wear it forward under your mask. Those 2 things will make a tremendous difference.

Oh yeah..Get a ball bag (another minimal investment), and get that coach in front of the 1st base dugout behind the fence!

Good job! Keep working and always look to improve! :rock

I agree with everything else thats been said. Overall, very impressive!

On the 1st video, maybe try to get slightly lower in your set, especially with the smaller kids to see those low pitches. That may be tough to do as you seem like a pretty tall guy, and with that balloon its harder. You might try having a more open box stance to get a little lower

At the very beginning of the 3rd video, on the BatterRunner being called out at 2B, the BU is coming in from A way late, behind the runner and ends up making the out call while moving and too far away. Make sure you pivot in ahead of the runner and bust your butt to get to 2B and be ready to make the safe/out call closer and not moving.

Here are my thoughts take them or leave them.

Like the timing, good work.

Like the strike mechanic strong

Like your positioning

I really like that you are removing your mask with your left hand.

What I would work on.

Your stance, you are leaning forward quite a bit. I would try to squat more like you are sitting down vs leaning in. It is a bit harder on your legs until you get use to it but much better on your back.

When I work with smaller kids I worry less about head height, it is too hard to get proper head height, comfort needs to come into play at some point.

Finally, I know we're not really going into look, but please turn the cap around. Even if you are wearing an 8 stitch cap you can wear it forward when wearing a mask.

Overall good job :clap:

I was told by my evaluator not to call the obvious fouls back to the screen or out of play. Mechanics are pretty good. I understand the clothing issue, but you have to address it at some point. The backward hat is a big deal. The shins and jeans. The balloon. Anyway, look pretty good. I don't personally say, "foul ball" I just say "FOUL!" Voice projection is important.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I agree w/all the positive things said by others and applaud you for being out there.

Your stance: As UIC pointed out, you are leaning too far. To me, it looks like you are directly behind the catcher, rather than in the slot. You need to work from the slot, and to do so you need to widen your stance a lot. I always tell guys I'm training that if their legs are far enough apart for them to feel uncomfortably exposed, they're probably close to wide enough. This is especially true for taller umpires (I'm 6'5") I recommend you look up 'heel-toe box stance' on-line for a diagram; I'm sure there's more than one on this site - but using heel-toe in the slot will put you in much better position to call all pitches, especially the low outside corner and will save your back a lot of stress (I know - you're young - you can take it) Using that type of stance (along w/others, but not what you're doing) also allows you to clear the catcher more easily on passed balls and pop-ups around the plate.

Oh, and vocalize 'Ball' calls as well

Nice work. Keep it up.

First, I agree w/all the positive things said by others and applaud you for being out there.

Your stance: As UIC pointed out, you are leaning too far. To me, it looks like you are directly behind the catcher, rather than in the slot. You need to work from the slot, and to do so you need to widen your stance a lot. I always tell guys I'm training that if their legs are far enough apart for them to feel uncomfortably exposed, they're probably close to wide enough. This is especially true for taller umpires (I'm 6'5") I recommend you look up 'heel-toe box stance' on-line for a diagram; I'm sure there's more than one on this site - but using heel-toe in the slot will put you in much better position to call all pitches, especially the low outside corner and will save your back a lot of stress (I know - you're young - you can take it) Using that type of stance (along w/others, but not what you're doing) also allows you to clear the catcher more easily on passed balls and pop-ups around the plate.

Oh, and vocalize 'Ball' calls as well

Nice work. Keep it up.

I was definitely in the slot (my head was a little bit to the left/right of the corner of the plate). The toe of my slot foot was even with the heel of the catcher. I guess it must have looked a little unusual because it wasn't wide enough.

What size pants do you wear, for you to have the guts to post your video on here for feedback shows me that you want to improve as an umpire. If your waist size and inseam is close to mine, I will send you a pair of my old poly wool plate pants so you don't have to wear jeans out there. You look like you might sneak into a 34 with a belt...if that's the case, I don't think I can help you, but I'll wait for your reply.

Keep reading what others are posting on here and take the advice of those who watched your videos on here.

On foul balls where everybody in the stadium knows they're foul, don't verbalize those...especially the screamers to the back stop. Save your voice for when you really need it.

Let's see if we can get somebody else to step up and send you a combo cap.

I have to admit, when I first started out, I'm glad there wasn't a lot of video. Again, good for you for posting your video on here for feedback. That takes guts!

Thanks for all the equipment offers guys. I'm going to college in San Diego this coming fall, and am joining an association once I get down there. For this reason, I've already started to throw together a set of equipment (My parents said they'd chip in as a graduation gift). So far, I have a pair of smitty charcoal grey combo pants, pairs of black, blue, and creme shirts, a chest protector (used for $10), and a pair of new reebok field magistrates (which I found on Amazon for $35 :D). I found a pair of used shin guards and a mask, which I will be picking up this weekend.

@johnyg08 - Thanks for the offer, but I already bought a pair of smitty combo pants. I think 34 would be a bit to big for me anyway.

@Trout78 - I'd love to take you up on your offer for a cap, but my new assignor down in SD says hats will be provided (I'm assuming there's some specific logo or something).

• 2 weeks later...

PM me with what you need. Don't be shy, it is a pleasure to help. Right now one pair of pants may do it for you but I carry four or five in my car along with two of every color shirt. I get called a lot on short notice and some are to go out of town or state.

I could not tell if it was you or the camera but on a few it looked like you were slightly moving as the ball came in. Work on making your signals sharp. How far up the line did you go on the ground ball and throw to first base? It was hard for me to see. I think pulled foot and then a slap tag are missed on a ball field more than anything else.

Overall keep up the good work and work on the little things. Looks like you have a pretty good base to build on.

PM me with what you need. Don't be shy, it is a pleasure to help. Right now one pair of pants may do it for you but I carry four or five in my car along with two of every color shirt. I get called a lot on short notice and some are to go out of town or state.

I could not tell if it was you or the camera but on a few it looked like you were slightly moving as the ball came in. Work on making your signals sharp. How far up the line did you go on the ground ball and throw to first base? It was hard for me to see. I think pulled foot and then a slap tag are missed on a ball field more than anything else.

Overall keep up the good work and work on the little things. Looks like you have a pretty good base to build on.

This is the new and improved Ponyump

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/36387-back-for-more/#entry112252

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...