I have to share ....

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4936 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the 2010 models in low tops and have worn them all season. Last night I got a pair of 2009 mid tops for $47 on eBay. I figured it can't hurt to have a spare pair and rotate them out to make each pair last longer.

While we are sharing......

I just got an e-mail from Brad at All-Star....My upgraded MVP4000 is on the way back to me. Can't wait to see it. Plus I also purchased an extra set of pads for the helmet as well.

And the best part is....I might even have a game in the next week or so. Not much baseball close to home these days, but the local high school is about to start some fall ball.

While we are sharing......

I just got an e-mail from Brad at All-Star....My upgraded MVP4000 is on the way back to me. Can't wait to see it. Plus I also purchased an extra set of pads for the helmet as well.

And the best part is....I might even have a game in the next week or so. Not much baseball close to home these days, but the local high school is about to start some fall ball.

Congrats, I know you'll love it. I have two games tomorrow and two on Sunday (one plate each day), looking forward to working with the new helmet.

I wanted to wait on the all-blacks also, but something very compelling took over my thinking.

I hate to do this ... well, hate's a strong word. I'm doing this with the appropriate sensitivity. There, that's better.

Well, here goes: A mentor of mine told me that he stumbled across some Reebok plate shoes at a Ross store. (They have a random collection of open-box and last season's shoes in every store. I go there often, because my son and I have sizes that are not available at most stores.)

So, being in San Diego at the time, I made my way up the freeway to Los Angeles, stopping at each Ross I spotted, and a few I knew about in the L.A. area once I got there. Well, the guy was right: I found quite a few pairs of the 2009 Reebok plate shoes! There were mid-cuts and low-cuts. Most of the sizes were very large or very small: 7, 7.5, 8, 14, 15 (and even a 16). Then I started finding my size: 13. Here's what I came up with:

DSC_9309.jpg

Read the tag carefully:

DSC_9311.jpg

So for a grand total of $32 and change, I get to trot out there alternating between my mids and my lows. I no longer am annoyed by all those white logos.

I inspected the shoes, and I tried to see if they were defective in any appreciable way. I was able to come up with this one flaw in the mid-cut pair:

RBK.jpg

See those little blue marks? I guess I can white them out or something. Or Maybe my pants will fall over it enough of the time. I guess it's one of the things you have to deal with when you're getting a pair of shoes for the cost of shipping on a pair from ebay.

So now you know that many of the shoes that are going on ebay for $30 or more were bought at Ross for $14.99 plus tax.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

That day and parts of two more. (There are a lot of freeways and a lot of Ross stores around here.) And I got two for me and a pair for one guy who needed a 13.5. I also got a pair of 13.5s for the guy who steered me. And a guy I steered found a 10.5 the first store he went to, after thinking I was BS'ing him that he could get plate shoes at Ross. When he saw me hand the other guy his pair a couple of days later, he rushed out and scored a pair (he couldn't wait to write me. :2cents: ). I was steering Thunder, but it might be a west coast thing, and it's definitely a rare pair of normal sized ones that I see.

So, I found two 13.5 mids, a 13.5 low and a 13 low (I'm normally a 13). I kept one 13.5 mid and the 13 low and gave the other two to my bros. Reeboks run a little narrow, so a half size up and it's perfect for me in the mids, but to go to a EE width is too wide. The 13 lows are a workable width as my back-ups. For $14.99 plus tax, I'll adjust.

Here's a link to three pairs of Reeboks listed on ebay that were purchased at Ross in L.A. (or so it certainly appears). The seller's from Sylmar, which is near the mountains on the way out of L.A. He's selling three sizes: 7.5, 8 and 13.5, which are all in the range of the hard-to-sell sizes that you see getting cleared out at all of the Ross stores (I didn't hit the north end of the valley).

The seller's listing.

Don't get me wrong, all the power to him. I'm just trying score a couple for me and find all my bros with big feet and grab some for them and spread the word to everyone who can get out and find them. I've scored a few so far, and I may not even be finished.

It's been a blast!

P.S. Here's a page of listings, among which are several that appear to be from this Ross unloading (all from S. California): More listings

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

That day and parts of two more. (There are a lot of freeways and a lot of Ross stores around here.) And I got two for me and a pair for one guy who needed a 13.5. I also got a pair of 13.5s for the guy who steered me. And a guy I steered found a 10.5 the first store he went to, after thinking I was BS'ing him that he could get plate shoes at Ross. When he saw me hand the other guy his pair a couple of days later, he rushed out and scored a pair (he couldn't wait to write me. :2cents: ). I was steering Thunder, but it might be a west coast thing, and it's definitely a rare pair of normal sized ones that I see.

So, I found two 13.5 mids, a 13.5 low and a 13 low (I'm normally a 13). I kept one 13.5 mid and the 13 low and gave the other two to my bros. Reeboks run a little narrow, so a half size up and it's perfect for me in the mids, but to go to a EE width is too wide. The 13 lows are a workable width as my back-ups. For $14.99 plus tax, I'll adjust.

I still have my brother in law looking Kevin, ....good score buddy!!! NICE!

We don't have any Ross stores here and I wouldn't know where to look for plate shoes in a store around here save for about two regular sporting goods stores (Where the price will be way jacked up) and Between the Lines. I'd love to get them for $15 but $47 for a pair of the best plate shoes on the market is still a pretty good deal for me.

Kevin, if you find any more 13's for $15 let me know and I'll pay for the shipping if you'll mail them to me.

I'm heading to Ross right NOW!

That's a better deal than the $35 West Vests on Amazon from a few years ago. If I can find them, I'll stock up on little sizes for my Junior umpires.

I've been hitting the local Reebok outlet store in Carlsbad on occasion with no luck.

Give me a number (of pairs) of 7s, 7.5s and 8s and I'll grab some up for you if I see some more and you don't. I go to S.D. quite often these days.

But my guess is that you'll see some at the first couple of Rosses you visit. This visiting-whatever-Ross-was-next-to-the-freeway adventure was pretty cool. I did it with my daughter and she had a blast too. She came away with some Sketchers and some Cons of her own. :nod:

One of each would be great, thanks. The kids have my hand me downs, but nothing smaller. No luck at my local Vista store. I'll check some others later. I'm guessing you hit all the ones off the 5, right?

Good info Kyle, I have my brother in law looking at the local Ross stores, I'll tell him not to go to Vista. He checked San Marcos the other day with no luck either .....

Keep me posted if you find something in 10.5 also, ...I have Kevin looking for me too. No "Ross" in Michigan :cheers: