LL Ump great game

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone call him and tell him to STOP ringing kids up on swinging 3rd strikes!

Scuzz

Didn't notice that but if that is his only quirk I will take it!

Japans pitcher wasnt to thrilled about not getting those outside pitches, other than that I thought he called a great game. Although I was origionally flabergastic about Japan's 3 run homer because I thought I wanted them to win but now I am upset with our friends south of the border's loss - I guess I am one of those nutty fans. :home:

And has a interesting ball bag too!

He probably washed it with his wife's underwear.... :shrug:

And yeah, another umpire using the "chainsaw" on swinging third strikes. :big_no

And is it really necessary to stare at your indicator like that just to roll the dial to the next number? :HS

Edited to add:

Bottom 6th...

Ow! He just rang up strike 2 on a PR batter... in the dirt - catcher pulls it up and holds it. STRIKE! PR catcher did something similar an inning earlier on an outside pitch.... pull.... hold....wait... STRIKE!

Criminy.

Edited by BrianC14

And is it really necessary to stare at your indicator like that just to roll the dial to the next number? :HS

My first year, I had an evaluator watching me from the stands. After the game he asked to see my indicator. I was puzzled but handed it over to him. He examines it, spins all the wheels then hands it back to me and said, "I thought you must have had an indicator with naked ladies on it the way you were always looking at it."

My first year, I had an evaluator watching me from the stands. After the game he asked to see my indicator. I was puzzled but handed it over to him. He examines it, spins all the wheels then hands it back to me and said, "I thought you must have had an indicator with naked ladies on it the way you were always looking at it."

*SNORT*

I'll bet that cleared it up. :HS

BTW, during that same game 2nd base looked as though it came loose when a runner slid into it.... U2 was busy re-attaching it to the post... when... TA DA! Out comes his... wait for it...

wait...

wait...

BASE BRUSH.

*SNORT*

I'll bet that cleared it up. :shrug:

BTW, during that same game 2nd base looked as though it came loose when a runner slid into it.... U2 was busy re-attaching it to the post... when... TA DA! Out comes his... wait for it...

wait...

wait...

BASE BRUSH.

Was it the ultra deluxe model with the built in indicator and digital time piece? I believe that was being allowed in with the replay rules. :HS

Japans pitcher wasnt to thrilled about not getting those outside pitches, other than that I thought he called a great game.

I would have been irritated to watch F1 and F2 freeze while waiting to see if I'd change my mind on my initial call on some of those corner pitches.

THAT was irritating:bang:

Brian, as much as cleaning bases drives me crazy, in this case it is necessary. LL uses a base that is attached by magnets. To get it to hold you have to brush out the base bottom.

LL doesn't subscribe to a specific type of break-away base; they leave it up to the individual leagues to determine what type is best for them.

That being said, LL & other youth leagues use a variety of different types, each of them necessitating some cleaning when re-seating the base. The magnetic ones are OK as long as there's not too much material piled up; the 'dimpled' ones are a major PITA and there have been times when I thought (just thought, mind you!) having my plate brush to clean up the base would not only be easier, but more effective. So far, I have resisted the temptation.

I would have been irritated to watch F1 and F2 freeze while waiting to see if I'd change my mind on my initial call on some of those corner pitches.

THAT was irritating:bang:

Yeah, but the thing is, there were several occasions where he did seem influenced by that... one that was in the dirt that F2 pulled way up -- -STRIKE!.

Another that he pulled way IN --- STRIKE! :GL:

So you are going to run a ground guy out everytime somebody slides into second? I realize that they don't specify a certain base but the question was about Williamsport and they use the dimpled type.

We use the type with the big square base. Those I just tell the runner to reseat the base. I let him do the digging, not me.

So you are going to run a ground guy out everytime somebody slides into second? I realize that they don't specify a certain base but the question was about Williamsport and they use the dimpled type.

We use the type with the big square base. Those I just tell the runner to reseat the base. I let him do the digging, not me.

Hey I go a baseball field to umpire.

If you could see my lawn you'd know why I shun anything to do with "grounds". :fuel:

Someone once explained it to me as a matter of liability in an umpire resetting the bases. If you were the last one to reset the base and the next time little Johnny slides in and gets hurt somehow you could be on the hook.

I'd bet someone would try to sue you if they were involved in a car accident on the way home, simply because if you hadn't called the last pitch a strike, they would have stayed at the field longer.

I'd bet someone would try to sue you if they were involved in a car accident on the way home, simply because if you hadn't called the last pitch a strike, they would have stayed at the field longer.

Well that's a bit silly isn't it?

I think Warren has a valid point about resetting the base... if that breakaway base doesn't break away when Little Johnny slides in, then perhaps Little Johnny's father might want to find someone who's responsible for Little Johnny's broken ankle.

It just so happens that the September 2010 issue of Referee magazine has an article entitled: "Heads-up on Business, Legalities Good for All" and one of the points it makes is "Liability Basics", dealing with things like equipment checks.

In our all-too litigious society, it doesn't matter if it sounds ridiculous to sue someone for such a thing as resetting a breakaway base, but the sad fact is, lawsuits like this can and do happen. And regardless of whether the suit actually makes it to a court, a baseball umpire is going to have to spend his own money in obtaining the services of his own shark - sorry - lawyer - in order to defend himself.

Sad but true.

In our all-too litigious society, it doesn't matter if it sounds ridiculous to sue someone for such a thing as resetting a breakaway base, but the sad fact is, lawsuits like this can and do happen.

Thanks for making my point.

LL doesn't subscribe to a specific type of break-away base; they leave it up to the individual leagues to determine what type is best for them.

That being said, LL & other youth leagues use a variety of different types, each of them necessitating some cleaning when re-seating the base. The magnetic ones are OK as long as there's not too much material piled up; the 'dimpled' ones are a major PITA and there have been times when I thought (just thought, mind you!) having my plate brush to clean up the base would not only be easier, but more effective. So far, I have resisted the temptation.

I don't bring a brush out either. Most leagues around here either use bases with basically a tongue and groove type style or are rubber with a large square that inserts into the ground. The groove type ones I can just kick the dirt out and it goes back in place. The other, if it won't set you need someone with a spade anyway. So I usually just have the player at the base fix it anyway.