new england regional final game

im wathing the CT vs RI final..1-0 in the last inning (might be over before im done)...they just used instant reply to overturn a call...pitched ball hits batter but ump doesnt see it...they get together and no one sawe it so they put the kid up...then someone from bristol calls the ump over and they overturn it....i know they are using replay in williamsport but (game over CT wins) i (nor the DC) thought they could use it in this game

and (if you saw the game) - i though thye could have easily called interference on the RI runner sliding in to break up DP in 6th

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came in from mowing the yard and flipped over to see the last inning. It was ridiculous! The CT coach argued that replay is not to be used at the regional level and was apparently talked into accepting the reversed call. Hello? Protest?

I didn't watch the replay on high-def, but it was a RHP curveball to a LH batter that kicked right. That's what its supposed to do, right? It looked mighty close to me, not close enough to reverse the collective agreement of the crew on the field. I suppose all you LL guys better get ready to hear it from all the dads with video cameras.

p.s. the kid did slide at the fielder, not the bag. Not sure of LL rules, but would be an out at most levels.

Edited by midmoump

I saw that same play at second. I thought the game was over at that point. It wasn't over until two batters later.

Had the Umpire called interference it would have been a great learning opportunity for all of SportsNation.

I saw it too, and I saw the "replay" incident and what the commentators said was that it was a director or umpire supervisor who came down and got the call "right". But from what i saw it looked hard to tell if it hit him even on the replay. And if I was the umpire i would of been pissed! They got together and came up with no HBP and the fact that they threw them under the bus and said it did was just horrible. Plus i don't like Little League using replay on "close plays". Another way to stick it to umpires and taking there judgment out of the game.

Yeah, I saw it happen too. At the plate the kid had no reaction. The ball did deflect but it could of been off a bad spot in the dirt, etc. He then ran to 1st because someone said he was hit. The PU calls him back. Then he calls the crew together and he keeps the decision. He is about to resume play when he's called over.

I would either have not gone over at all. Or, I would have said, that's my call, it judgment and walked away. I wouldn't put up with that crap. What are they going to do, give me a bad evaluation?

I stopped watching the LLWS stuff a couple years ago after watching them call pitches in the dirt strikes. I understand that these guys are the best in little league, but it's a real shame to have bad umpiring on television.

I stopped watching the LLWS stuff a couple years ago after watching them call pitches in the dirt strikes. I understand that these guys are the best in little league, but it's a real shame to have bad umpiring on television.

Its hard to tell watching from the center field camera angle but it does seem like there are some very very low strikes called.

Edited by JaxRolo

Actually they are not the best in little league.

They are the guys who got the nominations from their leagues, District Administrator, Regional Directors.

It is all politics and about volunteering.

If you take money to work regular season games you would not be eligible.

I wonder how many games they worked this year.

I worked just over 80 LL games but was paid for probably 75 of them. I would not be eligible to get a nomination nor would I ever want one.

While the volunteer umpires may work 20 games a year for 4 or 5 years before they even get nominated.

Not saying there aren't some that work more, but from local experience, I see volunteer umpires work very few regular season games and then jump in for All-Star, District and Sectionals.

It is all Politics.

You missed a very good PU on the Central region final. Jason is an excellent HS/college umpire that also does LL.

I'm suprised he got to work the game. It was explained to me by friend who was in the state LL comitee that they generally don't want umpires who have been pait to work at any level. But congratz to them.

Actually they are not the best in little league.

They are the guys who got the nominations from their leagues, District Administrator, Regional Directors.

It is all politics and about volunteering.

If you take money to work regular season games you would not be eligible.

I wonder how many games they worked this year.

I worked just over 80 LL games but was paid for probably 75 of them. I would not be eligible to get a nomination nor would I ever want one.

While the volunteer umpires may work 20 games a year for 4 or 5 years before they even get nominated.

Not saying there aren't some that work more, but from local experience, I see volunteer umpires work very few regular season games and then jump in for All-Star, District and Sectionals.

It is all Politics.

I've also heard about the politics involved. It is quite a shame.

All the above being said, I don't want to take away form this milestone in these guys' umpiring careers. Whether you or I agree with their system there are many hundreds of guys actively involved in their LL organization and this is their goal to make it to Williamsport, Easley, or wherever else.

The President and CEO of Little League was at the game and was looking at a TV monitor. He directed the Assistant Director to "make the call right." So not only was IR not to be used at this level, it wasn't even used in the manner prescribed by LL to be used at the WS level. Slippery slope indeed!

The President and CEO of Little League was at the game and was looking at a TV monitor. He directed the Assistant Director to "make the call right." So not only was IR not to be used at this level, it wasn't even used in the manner prescribed by LL to be used at the WS level. Slippery slope indeed!
Not to mention it wasn't THAT obvious. I'm pretty sure they were just taking ESPN's word for it.

See below from LL's facebook page. Not exactly what I remember. Sounds like a CYA statement to me.

The call on the field was not overruled by anyone. Here is what actually happened...

In the sixth inning, an inside pitch was ruled by the Umpire-in-Chief (Plate Umpire) as a ball. The batter reacted a...s if the ball had struck his foot. The offensive team’s manager properly requested that other umpires be consulted to determine if the pitch hit the batter.

While the umpires were meeting, Corey Wright (the Assistant Tournament Director at the game, and the Eastern Region Assistant Director) and Mike Lantierre (the volunteer Umpire Consultant for that game), watched ESPN’s replay from separate locations, and it appeared to both of them that the ball did indeed hit the batter.

After consulting with the other umpires on the field, it was determined that none of the umpires could conclusively say the ball hit the batter. However, the plate umpire was still not sure the correct call was made, and he asked Mr. Wright and Mr. Lantierre if they could offer any assistance.

While such a request is unorthodox, it is not unique and did not violate any rule or regulation. Another more common example of such an inquiry is when the Umpire-in-Chief of a game requests assistance from a league or tournament official on the status or an approaching storm. While the ultimate decision in that case – and regarding the incident on the field described above – rests solely with the umpire, there is nothing in Little League Rules or Regulations that prevents an umpire from requesting assistance from a game official. (There is, however, a prohibition against “mingling” with spectators, which would prevent an umpire from seeking assistance from a fan at the game.)

Mr. Wright and Mr. Lantierre stressed to the Umpire-in-Chief that the call was ultimately his alone to make, but that it appeared to them that the batter was hit by the pitch. The umpire replied that it was important to make the correct call, so he ruled that the pitch hit the batter, awarding the batter first base.

Mr. Wright and Mr. Lantierre, as game officials, did not attempt to overrule the umpires on the field, nor were they instructed to do so. They merely offered assistance to the Umpire-in-Chief when requested.

In response to the email circulating from Soucy:

Also, incidentally, Mr. Soucy's comments noted above (in the email) were made before he had a chance to know the full story. Unfortunately, others without knowledge of the full story also spoke or wrote without knowing the facts. As a result, we're glad to clear up the issue with our statement above.

Edited by txump81
added an ending I found later

See below from LL's facebook page. Not exactly what I remember. Sounds like a CYA statement to me.

The call on the field was not overruled by anyone. Here is what actually happened...

In the sixth inning, an inside pitch was ruled by the Umpire-in-Chief (Plate Umpire) as a ball. The batter reacted a...s if the ball had struck his foot. The offensive team’s manager properly requested that other umpires be consulted to determine if the pitch hit the batter.

While the umpires were meeting, Corey Wright (the Assistant Tournament Director at the game, and the Eastern Region Assistant Director) and Mike Lantierre (the volunteer Umpire Consultant for that game), watched ESPN’s replay from separate locations, and it appeared to both of them that the ball did indeed hit the batter.

After consulting with the other umpires on the field, it was determined that none of the umpires could conclusively say the ball hit the batter. However, the plate umpire was still not sure the correct call was made, and he asked Mr. Wright and Mr. Lantierre if they could offer any assistance.

While such a request is unorthodox, it is not unique and did not violate any rule or regulation. Another more common example of such an inquiry is when the Umpire-in-Chief of a game requests assistance from a league or tournament official on the status or an approaching storm. While the ultimate decision in that case – and regarding the incident on the field described above – rests solely with the umpire, there is nothing in Little League Rules or Regulations that prevents an umpire from requesting assistance from a game official. (There is, however, a prohibition against “mingling” with spectators, which would prevent an umpire from seeking assistance from a fan at the game.)

Mr. Wright and Mr. Lantierre stressed to the Umpire-in-Chief that the call was ultimately his alone to make, but that it appeared to them that the batter was hit by the pitch. The umpire replied that it was important to make the correct call, so he ruled that the pitch hit the batter, awarding the batter first base.

Mr. Wright and Mr. Lantierre, as game officials, did not attempt to overrule the umpires on the field, nor were they instructed to do so. They merely offered assistance to the Umpire-in-Chief when requested.

In response to the email circulating from Soucy:

Also, incidentally, Mr. Soucy's comments noted above (in the email) were made before he had a chance to know the full story. Unfortunately, others without knowledge of the full story also spoke or wrote without knowing the facts. As a result, we're glad to clear up the issue with our statement above.

Then the PU is just as big of a boob as the clowns in the press box. Make your call and stick with it!

It's the American Idol version of Baseball" "Text in 33405 if he's Safe and 33406 if he's out. A maximum of 10 votes per call"

Standard Text fees apply...

...shouldn't take more than 4-5 days to finish a game.

I just rewatched the play in question. PU tells batter to get back in the box after the conference and then you hear him say to back out. It is then that PU goes to the screen. From what I know about umpiring, you don't tell a kid to get in the box and then tell him to step out just because you want to check with someone outside the fence. I think the "explanation" from LL is complete hogwash(to keep it mild). After you hear him tell the batter to step back out, he just turns his head and is listening to someone behind the screen. Then he goes to the fence.

Time for LL to put down the shovel.

Just happened to see a critical miss by the PU in this game (NJ vs PA).

Situation - NJ has based loaded with one out, down 2-1 in the first inning. Batter hits high chopper toward the pitcher, who fields and attempts to beat R3 to the plate for the force. R3 clearly reached the plate prior to the pitcher's arrival, but was called out.

I've had many bangers like this over the years and we all, on occasion, miss a close one. This one wasn't even close. The next batter struck out and a potentially big inning for NJ was thwarted.

I'm not associated with either team, so no bias here.

I felt badly for the PU whose critical error was shown via instant replay to the viewers.

My point is that without knowing anything about the PU, an experienced, seasoned umpire would not miss a call like this. What is the criteria for the selection of these umpires?

i think the guy assumed that there would be a throw how for the force out so was getting in position to make that call...and then the pitcher surprised him by running at the plate...and then the runner slid.....even seasoned, experienced umps get surprised and caught by rapidly changing plays

The umpires work local ball, then they work their way through districts and states. When the individual umpire wants to apply for a regional they turn their paperwork in to their DA. Regions then select from that list. it helps if you attend a regional school so they can put a face to a name. Once you work a regional you are eligible for a world series.

If you have spent much time reading boards you will know that the paid/unpaid argument has been run many times. Quality isn't determined by rate of pay.

Just happened to see a critical miss by the PU in this game (NJ vs PA).

Situation - NJ has based loaded with one out, down 2-1 in the first inning. Batter hits high chopper toward the pitcher, who fields and attempts to beat R3 to the plate for the force. R3 clearly reached the plate prior to the pitcher's arrival, but was called out.

I've had many bangers like this over the years and we all, on occasion, miss a close one. This one wasn't even close. The next batter struck out and a potentially big inning for NJ was thwarted.

I'm not associated with either team, so no bias here.

I felt badly for the PU whose critical error was shown via instant replay to the viewers.

My point is that without knowing anything about the PU, an experienced, seasoned umpire would not miss a call like this. What is the criteria for the selection of these umpires?

The missed call was bad enough, but then the NJ manager went straight to the scorer's table to ask for a replay or to have them overturn it, which is a joke by itself. THEN the PU gets together with the three infield umpires for a conference.....on a force play at home! Get your own call and stick with it....how difficult can this be?