Mask Refubishment??!!

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4321 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I started my new job about about 4 weeks ago at a local painting company. One of the cool things about this job is out powder coating part of the business.

One of our senior umpires had this aweful looking mask but he loved it and didn't want to get a new on so I talked him in to letting me have it for a few days so I could make it like new again. He has been talking about my silver mask so we went with that for the powder color. It looks great now and I like the color better than my new one! Take a look and let me know what you think.

a4e1ae19.jpg

3729967f.jpg

1af61632.jpg

1e8f5eb6.jpg

5dd1dd89.jpg

7d5c1f87.jpg

c1971d1d.jpg

031fd7c7.jpg

bd907ad0.jpg

So what ya think!!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like great work! Can you walk us through the process you used? Did you sandblast the old coating off? Did you heat treat the frame before powder coating?

1)We blasted it in the sand blast bay during a blast session.

2)Then it was taken to the powder coater who the sanded off any left over finish.

3) Then it was washed with a charged water (this makes the powder stay one the mask).

4) the powder coater the takes it to the powder bay and shoots it with the powder.

5) it is rolled out of that bay to the over. It is baked at 450 for 30 - 40 mins

6) it's pulled out to cool and it's all done.

Powder coating is 100% better then liquid paint and last 10x as long. We do lawn furniture all the time.

would it be able to be done on a Wilson Dyna lite mask? My mask looks like has a hard plastic coating over the frame or would that come of during the sand blasting phase of the powder coat. And would the finished product have thinner bars than it has now?

would it be able to be done on a Wilson Dyna lite mask? My mask looks like has a hard plastic coating over the frame or would that come of during the sand blasting phase of the powder coat. And would the finished product have thinner bars than it has now?

The the mask probably would look thinner. I can blast these masks with plastic and not sand. I'm going to look Monday and see I they have a flat silver color. I know we have a flat black that would look cool so I bet they have flat silver. If I have a 5 or 6 of us that wanted masks done I could probably get a price brake. Maybe we could do this on the off season or something.

I would like to get a Champro Mahnesium done. Standard silver is fine.

The off season is different for everyone so that may be hard. My magnesium is my spare mask so I can send it at anytime.