I received a reply from Diamond (they are always very quick to respond to any issues). The 17" model has a 1.25" gap from bottom of knee cap plate to top of shin plate pad. The gap is not large enough for a baseball to pass without contacting the plastic plate(s).

Diamond reports that there is a design improvement in the works for 2011 to add flexing to the knee cap and close the gap on the 17" guards.

Below is a picture Diamond sent detailing the 17" Diamond UMP-DLG Lite:

UMPLite.JPG

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wear a pair of these shin coverings (I can't really call them guards) to work games higher than 10 or 11 year-olds, you're taking an absurd risk. An inch and a half?! Are you sh!ttin' me?! I can't believe these things made it to market.

They should come with a speed rating:

NOT TO BE USED FOR GAMES IN WHICH BASEBALLS ARE BEING THROWN AT 60 MPH

Well, I'm pretty good in most depts with good stuff.

NEED:

-More shirts, can't ever have enough shirts, going to try a new brand.

-More hats, fitted both mesh and wool, navy and black

-Honig's poly-wool plate and base and/or Smitty's heather plate and base pants (I may decide to bypass attempting to match colors as you usually aren't matched in something), I don't like my Davis plate/base pants.

-Equipment bag, need to upgrade what is essentially a hockey bag.

-Additional backup accessories, indicators, ball bags, brushes, etc

WANT:

- thicker regular leather belt. The one I have the leather bunches and causes wrinkles, still use the patent leather.

-maybe a jacket for that one game it might be nice to have. Otherwise it could be 10 degrees and I'd still feel comfy.

-attend 2-day clinic

-base shoes, the NB ones I ordered about a year and a half ago weren't the all black ones like the ad said.

-wish for Wilson Titanium mask, may be able to do something like this the following year.

Brandon, if you want flex fit, why not get the regular Richardson Flex Fits that LOOK like fitted wools?:D

Honig's sells fitted mesh hats, I think they are Richardson. I have one, I prefer the wool, but with my head the crown of any hat flattens out after a while anyway.

I received a reply from Diamond (they are always very quick to respond to any issues). The 17" model has a 1.25" gap from bottom of knee cap plate to top of shin plate pad. The gap is not large enough for a baseball to pass without contacting the plastic plate(s).

Just when I had considered buying one of their masks and replacing the crappy pads, they said that???

Forget it. Wilson makes quality stuff. I didn't wear crap like that when I was 27. I dang sure ain't gonna wear it when I'm 47!

Just when I had considered buying one of their masks and replacing the crappy pads, they said that???

Forget it. Wilson makes quality stuff. I didn't wear crap like that when I was 27. I dang sure ain't gonna wear it when I'm 47!

LOTS of people happy with their masks, ...but, ..I do realize your concern ....:hi5:

I REALLY like the Diamond frames. The pads are junk, but I didn't realize it until I took one on the chin. Replace them with original WV pads, and you've got yourself a nice rig (the wrap arounds are a tough fit). The reason they put those flimsey pads in is for weight savings. They want to boast about their one pound mask.

That said, I saw an MLB guy on TV this week wearing one of those masks with the light weight pads. It's all good, until you take one on the button.

• 2 weeks later...

My fall shopping list includes:

Reebok Base shoes. (May go with the Reebok NFL Quag Mid cut as I haven't seen the Magistrates in a mid cut option.)

Check out Dick's Sporting Goods. Doesnt look like they have a lot of sizes in now, but they had a bunch available earlier in the year. From what I remember Jim Kirk saying, Reebok was a pain to order from so that might have something to do with it.

And I can personally vouch - dont get the Diamond guards.

I noticed quite a few MLB guys wearing these Nike shoes and I gotta admit I think they look kinda good.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02CX0bjfobfNR/x610.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07K41Np8oQcl2/x610.jpg

Needs:

Me-shinguards (not sure which ones yet)

Plate shoes (Reebok if they come out with 4e all black)

Couple of fitted hats

GD charcoal plate and base (already reccieved those last week)

Son-mask

base shoes (NB's)

Couple of fitted hats

Wants: Balk video, some instructional reading material

Enjoyed the Southern Ump Camp this year, so I want more of that brutality. So we are both attending the state high school one day clinic next month.

Check out Dick's Sporting Goods. Doesnt look like they have a lot of sizes in now, but they had a bunch available earlier in the year. From what I remember Jim Kirk saying, Reebok was a pain to order from so that might have something to do with it.

And I can personally vouch - dont get the Diamond guards.

I noticed quite a few MLB guys wearing these Nike shoes and I gotta admit I think they look kinda good.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02CX0bjfobfNR/x610.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07K41Np8oQcl2/x610.jpg

Awww, those are Nike's eh?? I was wondering what Jim Wolf was wearing the other day. What model are those? Any way to get a better look at them?

Awww, those are Nike's eh?? I was wondering what Jim Wolf was wearing the other day. What model are those? Any way to get a better look at them?

Those are Nike Air Max+ 2009 Men's Running Shoe. they run about $160 a pop. I guess when you make over $300k a year thats a mear drop in the bucket...

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:104090/sku:54744010/nike-air-max-2009/?cm=57831#sku=54744018

If you want to make them all black like Jim's then that will run you $185 via NIKEiD website:

http://nikeid.nike.com/nikeid/index.jsp?sitesrc=uslp#launchBuilder,nikeairmax.11380.0,_414d506c75303930382e2e31,INSPI_193715_v9_0_20100125

Those are Nike Air Max+ 2009 Men's Running Shoe. they run about $160 a pop. I guess when you make over $300k a year thats a mear drop in the bucket...

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:104090/sku:54744010/nike-air-max-2009/?cm=57831#sku=54744018

If you want to make them all black like Jim's then that will run you $185 via NIKEiD website:

http://nikeid.nike.com/nikeid/index.jsp?sitesrc=uslp#launchBuilder,nikeairmax.11380.0,_414d506c75303930382e2e31,INSPI_193715_v9_0_20100125

That's what both Wolf and Joyce have on?

That for a shoe that probably does not offer much traction on the fields that we work on. I can wearing a spikeless shoe on the MLB diamonds because they are in such good shape, but I can imagine falling on my rear with out a little traction.

for me

wants:

everything I ordered from sos sports to come in

2 pairs of smitty base pants

2 clif keen polo blue shirts with black trim

1 clif keen cream shirt

1 smitty long sleeve black shirt

1 pair of reebok field magistrate 2 base shoes

will hope for the best and see what comes

Edited by tommy