JaxRolo

Unbearable heat

Worked a DH yesterday. HS Level. Temp was 100 with a heat Index of 112.

Games were at 10am and 12pm. I had the plate on the second one.

In the first game I went to my partner a few times to see how he was doing. He didn't look to well.

The second game the heat was worse. I was drinking water and Gatorade constantly. Towards the 6th inning I was feeling a bit sick to my stomach. Thank goodness we had a quick inning.

HT was ahead 2-1. Last Inning. So I was hoping the HT Defense would not allow a run. And they didn't. Game over! :confused: I really dont think I could have gone another 1/2 inning.

As soon as the game was over i stood at the plate and took all my gear off right there. I didnt wait to get to the car.

Other than the heat the games went really well. No complaints whatsoever.

Prehydrating is more important than making sure you have a drink on the field.

Once you get on the field and feel thirsty, you're pretty well screwed as by then it's too late.

Have lots to drink before a game on hot days.

Worked a DH yesterday. HS Level. Temp was 100 with a heat Index of 112.

Games were at 10am and 12pm. I had the plate on the second one.

In the future, Take ONLY one game when the temps are that high plus the heat index.

OR

At the plate conference ask if they would rather play 1 9 inning game and call it a day. Last week same thing happened to me BUT the teams were obliging and ONLY played 1 nine inning game.

Umpiring is NOT our day job and the vast majority of us have to go to work the next day. If your association has no-one else - Oh well it's not worth it.

The flip side also occurs meaning I have had F2's on the verge of passing out.

FWIW: Games are cancelled when it rains / snows or extreme cold. IMO, When the temps are that high with the index the game should also be canclelled.

Pete Booth

FWIW: Games are cancelled when it rains / snows or extreme cold. IMO, When the temps are that high with the index the game should also be canclelled.

+1. I've seen more problems on a baseball field with heat than with cold.

I'd rather it be cold. It could be 20 degrees and I'd be comfy. I'd had an awful game this year where it was about 90 at the start of the game and that was 10AM. The dew point was 74 it felt like 110 out there and humid and I had the plate. I lost several pounds during the course of the game.