Thrown Bat?

SnareDrum
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 394 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Thrown in anger? EJ with no out. (but I am guessing you are not talking about a pissed off batter who throws his bat after striking out)

Thrown due to his inability to hang on to it?

FED: 7-3-6 . . . If the bat breaks and is hit by the ball or hits a runner or a fielder, no interference shall be called. If a whole bat is thrown and interferes with a defensive player attempting a play, interference will be called.

PENALTY: The batter is out and runners return. If, in the umpire’s judgment, interference prevented a possible double play, two players may be ruled out.

OBR: 6.05(h) After hitting or bunting a fair ball, his bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory. The ball is dead and no runners may advance. If the batter-runner drops his bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play. If the batter is in a legal position in the batter’s box, see Rule 6.03, and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, a batted ball that strikes the batter or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball;

Rule 6.05(h) Comment: If a bat breaks and part of it is in fair territory and is hit by a batted ball or

part of it hits a runner or fielder, play shall continue and no interference called. If batted ball hits part of a broken bat in foul territory, it is a foul ball.

If a whole bat is thrown into fair territory and interferes with a defensive player attempting to make a play, interference shall be called, whether intentional or not.

Had this happen the other day FED rules kid threw the bat and PU warned team. Next time up same kid hits a double and throws bat. At conclusion of play we let coach know he needs a new runner at second as batter/R2 has been ejected for a thrown bat. He wanted us just to make him out and no ejection. We told him no out is recorded but the ejection stands.

• Like 1

Had this happen the other day FED rules kid threw the bat and PU warned team. Next time up same kid hits a double and throws bat. At conclusion of play we let coach know he needs a new runner at second as batter/R2 has been ejected for a thrown bat. He wanted us just to make him out and no ejection. We told him no out is recorded but the ejection stands.

I had to make this call last night in a 10U rec game-kid hit catcher in the foot once, warning, and then me in the thigh the second time-eject. My question is can somebody tell me where this is addressed in FED book-just for my reference? Thanks in advance.

Had this happen the other day <ACRONYM title="Federation Rules (High School)"><ACRONYM title="Federation Rules (High School)">FED</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> rules kid threw the bat and <ACRONYM title="plate umpire"><ACRONYM title="plate umpire">PU</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> warned team. Next time up same kid hits a double and throws bat. At conclusion of play we let coach know he needs a new runner at second as batter/<ACRONYM title="Base runner at 2B"><ACRONYM title="Base runner at 2B">R2</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> has been ejected for a thrown bat. He wanted us just to make him out and no ejection. We told him no out is recorded but the ejection stands.
I had to make this call last night in a 10U rec game-kid hit catcher in the foot once, warning, and then me in the thigh the second time-eject. My question is can somebody tell me where this is addressed in <ACRONYM title="Federation Rules (High School)"><ACRONYM title="Federation Rules (High School)">FED</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> book-just for my reference? Thanks in advance.

ART. 1 . . . A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not:

a. leave the dugout during a live ball for an unauthorized purpose;

b. fake a tag without the ball;

c. carelessly throw a bat;

d. wear jewelry (players participating in the game) or wear bandannas;

e. hit the ball to players on defense after the game has started;

f. use television monitoring or replay equipment for coaching purposes during the course of the game;

PENALTY: At the end of playing action, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected, except for (f), where the coach shall be ejected. In (B), it is also obstruction (8-3-2).

Our rec league has a local rule to address thrown bats, because there's no thrown bat rule defined in Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken/OBR. We are instructed to warn both teams the first time a bat is thrown, after that every one is an immediate dead ball out.

FED rule is 3-3-1c (in my 2011 rule book), warn on first occurrence, eject for subsequent offenses.

Thanks guys-I found it just after I posted. It has always been assumed in our local league that it is dead ball out and I just wanted to be able to cite if it came up. Mike-we just switched to FED this year so at least we have some justification now.

Remember a carelessly thrown bat is a safety issue and should be a warn and eject, just like any other safety violation. It should never be an out, that penalizes the team for one knucklehead. Do you throw or call an out for a bat thrown in anger?

• 11 months later...

You make the call if any and please provide rule you would use.  Only one of these is an actual situation.

Situation 1:

Bases loaded, two outs, bottom of the sixth inning with game tied.  Batter hits the ball to third but throws the bat which hits the catcher.  The third baseman throws the ball toward the catcher who is down on the ground holding his arm.  The ball goes to the back stop and runner on third scores. Game over?

Situation 2:

Runner on second, one out, top of the fifth inning.  Batter, who had been given two prior warnings for throwing the bat is up.  Batter hits pop fly to left field which is not caught.  The bat is thrown and deflects off the umpires shoulder and goes to the back stop.  Batter stops at 1st and runner on second scores.  You make the call.

Little League does have a throwing of the bat rule already in place.  It is Rule 6.05 (g) on page 72 of the 2013 rule book.  The rule is enforced if the bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory and judgment of intent is assessed if the ball hits the bat in fair territory.  In either case the rule is enforced due to the throwing of the bat. The result of the bat hitting the ball does not mean that the defense cannot make a play and in some cases it may help them as the ball gets to the defense faster. It is not the end result that causes the out but the possiblity of interference that is ruled.  The rule 9.01 © is what I use in Little League to enforce this since the rule does not specify the bat hitting the catcher or umpire.

Just as in these situations, I believe that if a batter throws the bat and it hits a catcher or umpire than just as the rule states the batter is out and no runners may advance.  In throwing the bat toward the catcher or umpire and hitting them with it causes the interference and should be ruled dead ball out.  I think ejecting is a little harsh for these situations but could apply.

Several years ago, im BU in a Little League All-Star District Tournament....

The same batter let the bat fly into my partner 3 times in 3 consecutive at-bats.

1st time, "Watch the bat!"

2nd time, Warning

3rd time, "TIME!  Batter out. Ejected"

Manager 100% understood!

The same batter let the bat fly into my partner 3 times in 3 consecutive at-bats.

2nd time, Warning

Manager 100% understood!

You'd lose the protest on the out.

There is throwing a bat, and there is the snap throwing a bat from the knob backwards . First inning, kid hits glances off my shin guard, and bat lands 15 feet behind me. Warning to him, and his manager for throwing the bat.  5th inning, he strokes a triple, nails me THUMP right on my left forearm. OUUUCCCHHHHH!! I follow through on the play, call time, walk up to him and ask him if he was the player I warned in the first inning, and I toss him, put a bench sitter on third.. I then ask for 5 minutes to get some ice for my arm, already swollen.  Inside I was mad as hell. But never, ever let em see you sweat!

It bis never, ever, ever an out. Warn the first time, eject the second time. It is a team warning, otherwise you have to let every player have a free shot. In the OP 

(post 12) the first could be either nothing or an out for interference. The second is one run scores, R1 but he now the sub for the ejected R1

2nd time, Warning

Manager 100% understood!

Interestingly enough I was at a 9/10 allstar game, umpire ejected a BR for throwing his bat. The protest went to Williamsport and the damn janitor said to call him out instead.  :hopmad:  :smachhead: The PU was a guy I trained and he asked WTH? I talked to Andy about it later and he was upset that was their ruling. 

I find it interesting that there are so many different ways to make the call on throwing the bat (most have ejections) in replies. It seems that in Little League it would be clear.  The rule should state that any bat that strikes a catcher or umpire is interference and ruled dead ball out.  Just as a bat that ends up in fair territory could cause interference. (depending on what happens after the bat is thrown, hits nothing, "no harm no foul"  should apply to this call.  In addition, a bat that rest inside the catchers box or in fair territory after hitting a ball and in the judgement of the umpire interferes with a play should be ruled interference and ruled out and dead.  No runners advance.

I have seen a situation in softball (not baseball yet) when a slap hitter pounds the ball into the ground creating a big bounce and while running up the line throw the bat into fair territory creating a distraction for the first baseman making the play.   The at bat is legal and by rule unless the bat hits the ball or the ball hits the bat, I have no call for interference.  Little League rules should create this rule.  Takes the gray out of it.

I find it interesting that there are so many different ways to make the call on throwing the bat (most have ejections) in replies. It seems that in Little League it would be clear.  The rule should state that any bat that strikes a catcher or umpire is interference and ruled dead ball out.  Just as a bat that ends up in fair territory could cause interference. (depending on what happens after the bat is thrown, hits nothing, "no harm no foul"  should apply to this call.  In addition, a bat that rest inside the catchers box or in fair territory after hitting a ball and in the judgement of the umpire interferes with a play should be ruled interference and ruled out and dead.  No runners advance.

I have seen a situation in softball (not baseball yet) when a slap hitter pounds the ball into the ground creating a big bounce and while running up the line throw the bat into fair territory creating a distraction for the first baseman making the play.   The at bat is legal and by rule unless the bat hits the ball or the ball hits the bat, I have no call for interference.  Little League rules should create this rule.  Takes the gray out of it.

So maybe we make the batter stop and put his bat in the bat rack before going to first?  Do we make the fielders wait for him to do it?

2nd time, Warning

Manager 100% understood!

Not saying my partner was right, just at that point with his elbow all swollen nobody questioned it!

So maybe we make the batter stop and put his bat in the bat rack before going to first?  Do we make the fielders wait for him to do it?

Throwing a bat can hurt someone, catcher, umpire. At the level you think it could hurt, warn. If done twice send em.  It is injury we are warning about, not interference, right?

No, we keep catchers and umpires safe from bats that do not need to be thrown in their direction.  Batters do not need to throw the bat to perform hitting but catchers and umpires need to dodge those bats just because why?

No, we keep catchers and umpires safe from bats that do not need to be thrown in their direction.  Batters do not need to throw the bat to perform hitting but catchers and umpires need to dodge those bats just because why?

I was commenting on the bolded part.

When you played what did you do with your bat after hitting the ball?