the use of the major league Baseball shirt black

umpire08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4990 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

hey all this is umpire 08 have not posted for a long while hope all is well but i wanted to know if the i guess you could call it the default color used by MLB is ever used in youth baseball I do not wish to offend anyone i just wish to know because I am considering purchasing that color sometime soon and i would just like to know thanks and i will look forward to the replies

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on if your league or association has a uniform code and what that code is. In our LL there is no set uniform style, though everyone just defaults to navy. I have worn MLB black and polo blue shirts in LL games when by myself. Both of which look tons better on me than navy does. Clothes never fit me right, and those styles lessen that. LL has used those styles in regional and world series games. There's nothing wrong with using these shirt styles. MLB umpires used to wear the navy, look back at the mid to late 90's for that.

Yes they are worn. In fact, I wore black twice this week working LL All-Star games. I wear black when working with guys who have purchased their own. The LL I work in issues the powder blue to its umpires so I wear that most of the time.

First of all, ......... PUNCTUATION IS YOUR FRIEND!:ranton:

Second, ...as long as you match w/ your partner, no one would/should say a peep, unless your association demands only 1 color.

Wore black , red, cream, polo, white, etc, in a season ending 11u tourney last week! The parents, coaches and players loved it as we rolled a different color every game!:clap:

Edited by Thunderheads

Provided your association doesn't have different rules black is fine.

I think the problem comes when amateur guys wear uniforms with the MLB logo. Those are earned. Sure have those items to wear around the house into town etc, but not on the field.

Provided your association doesn't have different rules black is fine.

I think the problem comes when amateur guys wear uniforms with the MLB logo. Those are earned. Sure have those items to wear around the house into town etc, but not on the field.

First and foremost....... you must check with your league and association guidelines to be sure if there isnt a regulation regarding dress....

For my HS association, we are limited to Navy and powder blue.....another association is Black and Polo blue....

warren nailed it here..........we umpires have been following the MLB crew fashion standards for years.......if your league allows it, as long as you match your partner it should not be an issue....

I have and wear:

Black

Cream

Polo Blue

Navy

Grey

Powder

as warren states, the only issue is when someone wears an MLB logo or any other logo (ncaa/naia) that they are not entitled to.....that is considered bad form......

the color alone is not an issue

Edited by Stan W.
usual suspects.....spelling and clarity

hey all this is umpire 08 have not posted for a long while hope all is well but i wanted to know if the i guess you could call it the default color used by MLB is ever used in youth baseball I do not wish to offend anyone i just wish to know because I am considering purchasing that color sometime soon and i would just like to know thanks and i will look forward to the replies
Listen to Thunderheads. You're lucky if anyone responds to a post like this. It's not a nine-word text message, it's a post on a forum. It's intellectually lazy to write like this, and it is insulting to people to make them do the work of deciphering it for you.

Just being honest and helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I will also repeat. Check with your local league/association. In my area there is a dress code - shirts must be navy or powder blue (alternate colour). Black is only used for Baseball Canada National Championships.

in my local area , are umpire assoc.(s) allows any color (h s excluded) . i have and wear black,mlb blue,powder blue, creme , and have the navy . some in are area also wear red, grey/green (i think) . bottom line as long as the crew is matching . hs does have some color req.'s

d62

marc