Leg Guard Feedback

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5022 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys,

I’ve been overwhelmed with the support and feedback you guys have shown us, so it only seems natural for me to ask for more... if you guys don’t mind.

Talk to me about umpire leg guards, please!

What would your dream LG’s be like? Where do you need the protection? Where do you want less protection? How can the bottom be designed to work better with your shoes? Do you want toe protection? Low profile? Sizes? What modifications have you made to yours? Do yours tend to twist and turn? Where are they uncomfortable? Pro’s and cons?

Feel free to post up directly here, PM me, or even shoot me an e-mail (bjurga at all-starsports dot com). I appreciate any info you may have!

Thanks so much,

-Brad

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me I would really like a low profile triple knee shin guard. I have had a lot of trouble finding a pair that's slim enough to fit under my pants and can still offer a decent amount of protection. Toe protection isn't necessary if you have good plate shoes however ankle protection is nice. One thing that's really nice is about the GD shinguards is the strapping. The velcro straps are really nice. I think if there was one extra strap on top of the guard it would reduce the twisting and turning. My hockey shin guards have the same strap system and I can't go out on the ice without taping them for fear and annoyance of them moving out of place while I'm on the ice.

So, in conclusion, my dream shin guard would be a low profile, triple knee shin guard with well placed velcro straps.

I wear low top plate shoes, never have liked the mids and ankle protection, for me, is essential. I use the Wilson Charcoal 17 shins. Very good product, does what I need it to do. The loops and the hooks on the straps will rust though, making adjusting them difficult. Another complaint I have is the weight. Now I can do 3 in the dish a day with them but I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for a lighter weight set of guards.

Velcro straps would be nice. I've seen catchers with some like that.

If you could somehow make some quality guards and shed some weight, I think you'd get a winner.

Sizing - I'd offer SG designed specifically to be worn with Mid-cut shoes and a separate model for those who wear low cut shoes. This could be done by changing the shape of the bottom of the SG at the front.

The toe flap is completely useless I wouldn't even offer it.

Side flaps, I like them.

I also prefer the triple knee.

Profile, lower profile they don't need to be the lowest profile, but nobody likes bulkiness

Straps and clasps, I don't care for the steel clasps they end up rusting and squeaking. there has to be a better alternative but better and longer lasting than plastic.

I currently wear the original Douglas West Vest triple knee and really like them their downside is that they are heavy and that they do not breathe at all so I'd want something that is breathable.

I'd also want something which is easy to clean. Maybe even be able to remove the padding and throw it in the washer.

Thats all I have for now.

I bought a pair of catcher leg guards and cut off the toe flaps they breath very well and give great protection. I would like to find umpire guards that are low profile and agree with all the men in blue as far as low profile. I would like to change the inside hardware so it wouldn't rust. Imho i prefer the clips they fit more snugly

Cool !! Brad, when is this going to happen? For 2011? Because if you're doing this for 2011, I'll wait for the All-Star version. Let us know! I do/will need leg guards after the season, so.................before I pull the trigger on a good deal, keep us informed!

OK -

I like Warren's idea of the removable padding! NICE! :D Also, maybe you can incorporate your padding in the MVP System 7 HSMs!?:yippie:

Your LUG313s got great reviews from MidMoumps blogsite, but they're "white" :no: Why don't you simply take the 313, add a triple knee extention, make them black, add ankle padding (abs) and utilize the System 7 removable padding. AND...come up w/ the nice straps/clasps set up??

And ...size them for different shoes :D

See the attached mutated picture w/ added ankle padding! :D

Cool !! Brad, when is this going to happen? For 2011?

I'm not Brad, but I doubt it. The 2011 season is only 9 months away, and they're only at the prototype level of development. I'd guess we'll see them in 2012.

I don't know if I'd design shin guards to "stick up" out of your pants, to protect your hands.

No, on further thought, that's just silly.

Rawlings made a shin guard a few years back called the Lobster, with both a catcher's and an umpire's model. It had a unique knee protection design, like a lobsters tail, that went from the shin, and curled up over the knee. It's a bit heavy, with all the plates, but provided great protection and sizing.

Some shin guards have a flat section right at the knee cap. Not good, as you want as much deflection as possible. Round off every thing.

The metatarsal flap is cut off of every decent umpire's shin guards. There's no need for it if you're wearing proper plate shoes.

A CoolMax, or similar, lining is a must. Sweaty vinyl is awful.

Wide, velcro straps work great. Throw in a couple of spares when you buy a pair. We'll need them somewhere down the road.

Ankle protection is a bonus. Some mid/high top shoes offer some protection, but it's nice to have that option. A better solution would be if the shoes actually had a plate over the ankle bone, instead of just leather. (Note to self: email Reebok/NB about this for their next redesign). My motorcycle roadracing boots have that.

The less metal parts the better, as they'll rust.

No need to be pretty, as they won't be seen. Your logo on the ankle protector, which just peeks out from the bottom of the pants, would be the best placement. No need for carbon fiber, but if you want to put a little bit on them, that would be the place, as it would look pretty cool. Your new logo, on carbon fiber, peeking out the top of the shirt, the bottom of the pants, and on a throat protector would be pretty damn impressive (and visible).

Brad, ...see the picture, ...see where the umps hands are positioned? If the top plate doesn't strap down too much, it'll stick up a little and it sort of protects your hands in a Davis stance.

I cant' see the picture very well, and I can't get it to open larger, but it seems like what I was talking about.

And "stick up" may be the wrong phrase. If the top cap goes above the knee when standing and isn't too tight, then the hands can slide under / behind the cap and be a little protected.

Specially designed hand protectors for umpires and no coach these brass knuckles are only for when you don't like my strike zone. :D

Those lobster leg guards will be great with my red shirt and I can keep my partner amused the whole game, a two for one special. :TD:

Edited by T-Rav

mw-llg.jpg

I believe these were the ones Kyle was talking about.

Those are the ones. The umpire models don't have the pointless foot protection.

My son has both models, for both applications. He has access to my dizzying array of gear, yet like his Lobsters. They fit better for him because the knee isn't just one spot. Your knee can be anywhere in that flex point. It's a pretty neat idea. He works the Davis, and hides his hand under the top "flap".

They are heavy, and not too nicely lined. They do take a wicked pop, with nothing felt. It's just an idea to run by Brad.