Jewelry

Middle School Varsity game, played under FED rules. Me and my partner arrive and take the field. We both immediately notice that every kid has on a sports necklace, including the HT catcher who has his gear on and is ready to go.

Plate meeting goes as normal, at the end of the plate meeting after we get confirmation from coaches that all players are legally and properly equipped, I decide to make mention to both coaches that the jewelry has to go (usually I will not say a word but every kid had something on and it was obvious that they had no intention of taking it off).

HT coach asks me if I will be issuing warnings on this. I reply "I just did coach". I couldn't believe he was serious, my partner said after the game it took everything he had not to laugh.

Middle School Varsity game, played under FED rules. Me and my partner arrive and take the field. We both immediately notice that every kid has on a sports necklace, including the HT catcher who has his gear on and is ready to go.

Plate meeting goes as normal, at the end of the plate meeting after we get confirmation from coaches that all players are legally and properly equipped, I decide to make mention to both coaches that the jewelry has to go (usually I will not say a word but every kid had something on and it was obvious that they had no intention of taking it off).

1. What is a Middle School Varsity Game?

2. Being HS why would you not always enforce the no jewelry rule?

We have varsity and JV MS teams here. JV plays under Cal Ripken 70' rules, Varsity plays on 90' field with FED rules (except for bats, they can use -3 or -5).

We always do enforce the jewelry rule, just funny that obviously someone before us had let it slide with these teams and let them wear whatever they wanted (the MS season is nearly over here). I usually don't talk about it explicitly at the plate meeting since it is a rule that should be followed anyway. If one kid has something on, we will deal with it when we see it.

Just funny (to me at least) in this case because everyone had something on and the coaches acted like I was the first person that had ever asked them to take it off. Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum :)

I may be totally off but I thought the whole purpose for the new age necklaces and bracelets were to help older, injured, golfers with aches and pains? Something to do with magnetic properties in the jewelry. Now I see teens and LL kids wearing them? Makes no sense to me.

Kevin:

I am perfectly willing to enforce jewelry rules. In some cases it is actually dangerous, other times I just don't like it. I have mentioned this stance many times but I have no clue why kids even want to wear crap on the field other than they see it at the MLB level.