<acronym title='Obstruction'>OBS</acronym> into 2nd

cbiesecker
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4374 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

12U game, playing OBR. No runners, 0 outs. BR hits up the left field line for what looks like an easy double. On his way into 2nd, the BR and F4 bump into each other. It wasn't really much of a collision as the BR was already pulling up for the stand up double. The throw from F6 on the relay was off target and caused F4 to move a few steps off 2nd base towards 1st base. The ball was only halfway to F4 when the bump occurred. BR easily steps onto 2nd, and F4 knocks down the throw. At the bump I pointed towards F4 and called OBS. I left the BR on 2nd as I didn't judge that he would have been able to obtain 3rd and his last legal base was first. Did I get this right, or should I have awarded the BR third?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback. You read about these situations and then when the occur, they happen so fast. Trying to sort out all the information without giving the impression that you don't know what you're doing is nerve racking. So its good to know that I got my first OBS call correct. Thanks.

Would any of you even called OBS on this? It apparently happened near the bag, it was obvious there wasn't a close play, and it was probably just as obvious no advance to 3B was on the runner's mind.

Would any of you even called OBS on this? It apparently happened near the bag, it was obvious there wasn't a close play, and it was probably just as obvious no advance to 3B was on the runner's mind.

I would give it a point and an OBS verbal, if it was clear that F4 shouldn't have been there. There's really no downside as your showing everyone that you saw it and no matter what else transpires you have already made everyone aware that something unusual happened.