Chest protector help....

fan1775
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5008 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm a relatively small guy (under 6', 150 lbs) and am looking for a new chest protector. I want something that will do the job it's supposed to do, but I'm doing mainly youth league rec and tournament ball, so it doesn't have to be able to stop a speeding bullet. I mention my size because I also want something that fits as "unseen" as possible under my shirt and doesn't make me appear as if I'm wearing a bullet proof vest and/or football pads.

So any suggestions on a reliable chest protector that is relatively thin and not too bulky in both the chest and shoulders?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a relatively small guy (under 6', 150 lbs) and am looking for a new chest protector. I want something that will do the job it's supposed to do, but I'm doing mainly youth league rec and tournament ball, so it doesn't have to be able to stop a speeding bullet. I mention my size because I also want something that fits as "unseen" as possible under my shirt and doesn't make me appear as if I'm wearing a bullet proof vest and/or football pads.

So any suggestions on a reliable chest protector that is relatively thin and not too bulky in both the chest and shoulders?

One question: What level of baseball do you WANT to umpire in the future?

Just rec ball 16U I would go with the diamond IX3.

I had an iX3 and I do not recommend it for 16U. I got hit a few times and decided to get the WV Gold. Best purchase ever.

fan1775,

I use a Honig's K1. Very low-profile and lightweight, and I have found the protection perfectly satisfactory doing HS Varsity, D-III & JUCO college ball, Men's League, and summer travel up through 18U.

I'm about your size, maybe a tad larger.

JM

fan, I'm 5'-9" & 135 on a good day. I tried a few CP's including the mentioned Honigs K-1, the K-1 felt HUGE on me. I looked like a 12yo linebacker. I bought a champion P220 and have used it for about 20 plates this season and I love it. I'm not trying to compare its protection to a gold or platinum but its perfect for a small guy doing up to 16U baseball. I have heard of some guys wearing it for varsity and juco ball but I'm not sure I'd try it. 1

Edited by 1dumbquestion

I had an iX3 and I do not recommend it for 16U. I got hit a few times and decided to get the WV Gold. Best purchase ever.

Really? I love the iX3 for lower level ball. But the upper level no doubt I go with the gold. The gold is just so hot and when it comes to the lower level stuff I'll take the cooler of the two.

A Douglas would be my recomendations based on the desire for a lack of bulk and to maximize the level of protection. The Douglas models are in limited supply, they have a few left. The other benefit is that they come in various lengths. I am 5'-8" and 175 and I bought a 13". The fit is great and very low profile as compared to other hardshell CP's. I think there are some photos on this board of someone wearing one of these.

Best of luck.

The Honig's K-1 was a pretty good one for me but I felt a couple of college foul balls, no injury but I felt it so I lost confidence in that one. For your level it would do fine but it might be a little bulky for you.

Wilson makes a WestVest Gold in a small size. I heard about it on Rob Drake's now defunct site and I decided to try it. I ordered from Ump-Attire and spoke with Jim Kirk himself when I ordered it.

I am 5'9" and weigh 185 with a 44" chest. It fits nicely and is not bulky. I really like it. My friend Gus, a minor league umpire, calls it the "kiddie sized chest protector". Do I care? Not in the least bit. If that size is good for a MLB umpire it's obviously good enough for me. I worked, until I came to Afghanistan, anything from LL to NCAA D-1. I wore it all levels. You need it more at the lower levels. Seemed like I took 5 or 6 hits per game with younger players.

Plus, it will stop anything that can be thrown or tipped into you in case you decide to move up. AND, they hold their value very well if you switch to something else and want to sell on e-bay.

My two cents......

Good luck.

wilson charcol..i wear it from u10 to hs

Second the Wilson Charcoal.

I wear it from LL Minors up through Varsity HS and Adult Ball.

I am 5'9 165 and I love it.

Have never felt a hit in it.

I have the Diamond Ix3 and have no complaints....I have taken a few fould balls to it with no problem. LL to HS Varsity....I would not reccommend it for anything higher. Felt a couple, nothing big, but some big boys would be a different story...

Do yourself a favor, and spend a few more nickels and get a Gold. You'll thank yourself, and the rest of us, later.

Buy pro gear. Because somewhere down the road, you'd wish you did.

Plus, as a bonus, you can resell pro stuff for a lot more dough a few years later. You won't get squat for a used Diamond or Honig's rig. A used Gold with fetch $85 all say long. So it's a good investment.

I have the Diamond Ix3 and have no complaints....I have taken a few fould balls to it with no problem. LL to HS Varsity....I would not reccommend it for anything higher. Felt a couple, nothing big, but some big boys would be a different story...

The Diamond is flat-out dangerous. The collarbone is a delicate structure, and the Diamond is not protective at speeds of over 70 m.p.h. And as Kyle noted, it is essentially worthless at resell time.

This piece of gear should not even be used for hardball of any kind. Get real on this and use a hard shell.

The Honig's K-1 was a pretty good one for me but I felt a couple of college foul balls, no injury but I felt it so I lost confidence in that one. For your level it would do fine but it might be a little bulky for you.

I had one and loved it. Then I got the platinum -- based on this board. It's a little less comfortable, but I thought, "well, if it protects more, then that might not be a bad trade-off."

Wore it all HS season, and all summer (so far). Hadn't been hit (and isn't that the best protection?).

Then, in the past two weeks -- got hit just below the protector twice. The K1 would have stopped / slowed /mitigated the hit. Got hit in the outer chest -- felt it just as much as I would have from the K1.

So, now I might go back.

Just to show you how personal CP discussions can be........I also have the K1 and the Platinum...

I only wear the K1 for Sub-Varsity levels of baseball..........(.read rec ball in that statement)....For anything above I wear the Platinum ....... and the confidence it gives me outweighs the minimal advantage of the K1.

I have taken shots with both and the K1 (for me) does not protect to the level of the Platinum....

Now on to the "big mistake" and everyone is entitled to make one.....but heed the veteran advice......buy the best gear you can afford.......OR you will end up spending far more when you have to upgrade to find that level of protection you need.....

and as so rightly stated before, if you decide that this umpiring stuff just isnt for you, you will recoup far more of your initial investment off of pro level gear than you will with the cheap stuff....

The Diamond is flat-out dangerous. The collarbone is a delicate structure, and the Diamond is not protective at speeds of over 70 m.p.h. And as Kyle noted, it is essentially worthless at resell time.

This piece of gear should not even be used for hardball of any kind. Get real on this and use a hard shell.

Your entitled to your opinion. Like I stated, I have taken hits from HS Varsity players, over 70mph square in the chest, and I will admit that it was a shock when hit, it is not dangerous. I would imagine you get this with a hard shell as well. Again, I would not recommend it for higher than HS.

Your entitled to your opinion. Like I stated, I have taken hits from HS Varsity players, over 70mph square in the chest, and I will admit that it was a shock when hit, it is not dangerous. I would imagine you get this with a hard shell as well. Again, I would not recommend it for higher than HS.

With a hard shell your hear the hit and never feel it!!!!

I always love taking a good shot and being asked if I am ok becasue of the racket it made. I just reach into the ball bag and throw another ball to the pitcher.

Lets Play :shakehead:

With a hard shell your hear the hit and never feel it!!!!

I always love taking a good shot and being asked if I am ok becasue of the racket it made. I just reach into the ball bag and throw another ball to the pitcher.

Lets Play :shakehead:

+1. I wear a Platinum and once I got it adjusted right, the thing is like armor. It is a little iffy on the lower rib coverage. I velcroed an extra pad on there and I feel better about that coverage. Got hit in the right shoulder on Weds. and never felt a thing. But like Kyle said, buy the best you can afford. You won't regret it.

This is exactly when I decided to upgrade from my iX3. I took a shot to the collar bone that hurt for days.

I have the Honig's K1, calling mostly Jr BR and AmLg (16-19), Have taken several shots, without a problem. I really like the shoulder protection, have taken 1 or 2 there and as Semper fi stated you just reach in the ball bag and throw another one into play.

Don't imagine; listen to the words of those who actually know.

And it's not safe higher than low-level high school, which is where they top out in the low-70s. And it's barely safe enough for that.

I am not guessing; I've used them all, so unlike you, I don't need to "imagine" if you're better protected with a hard shell. You are!

Just as we are entitled to our opinions, we are also free to base them on either fact or supposition. I'll continue to employ factual analysis; you go ahead and do what you do.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

All I know is.... I got my gold...can't imagine using anything less at this point.

I use the Gold when I work any kind of pitching where they're bringing it anywhere from the mid-80s and up. I use the Douglas most of the rest of the time, and I loan the Platinum, or use it in an emergency.

The Gold is the elite, and truly protects more completely than any of them. Better coverage; thick, resilient plastic; thickest padding---it's the best there is.

Don't imagine; listen to the words of those who actually know.

And it's not safe higher than low-level high school, which is where they top out in the low-70s. And it's barely safe enough for that.

I am not guessing; I've used them all, so unlike you, I don't need to "imagine" if you're better protected with a hard shell. You are!

Just as we are entitled to our opinions, we are also free to base them on either fact or supposition. I'll continue to employ factual analysis; you go ahead and do what you do.

+1. I owe my new gear to the wisdom and experiance of KF and others. Upgrading to pro level gear (after buying two other CPs) was one of the best decisions I made. It has improved my skills and increased my enjoyment. I completely confident that I am protected. I personally will never wear another CP that is not a true hard shell.