LMSANS

He actually kicked dirt on me!!!!!

I was working a 13u tourney this weekend. We were doing the semifinals, when the VT coach wouldn't stop arguing a balk (or lack of ) call. I ejected him and he came out and kicked dirt on me. I ended the game right there.

The VT was down 8-6 going into the top of the 6th.

The guys running the tourney are always 100% behind us. When I gave them the verbal report, their reaction was..."you want some water?" In other words they had no problem with the actions taken.

Larry,

I don't understand why you ended the game instead of just dumping the coach and continuing the game to its conclusion.

What did he think the pitcher was doing that was a balk?

JM

I too am perplexed as to why having dirt kicked on you is grounds for the game to be ended.

As a matter of fact, one umpire friend close to me had dirt kicked on him by a coach because a player went off my friend in a championship game, and the coach could not think of an argument while running onto the field to protect the player.

Point being, he kicked dirt on you....you tossed him....so what?

I am all for upstanding professionalism on the field, but personally, if a coach kicked dirt on me in a game, I'd channel Jerry Crawford for a bit, but that's all. No forfeiture necessary.

End of game?? Things like this happen and we have to deal with it, but ending the game is a little harsh. I know we get worked up when a coach goes crazy, but I think you went a little too far.

OBR 13.4 h. Dirt kicking forfeiture--if dirt reaches only POLISHED SHOES eject only. If dirt reaches belt line, eject and restrict team. If dirt reaches chest and/or clean shirt--forfeit. The soil type will determine forfeiture procedures. If sandy soil or Carolina red clay---IGNORE this rule.

Edited by poppyfor3

A: I had already ejected the coach, not an option, and

B: I do not officiate to be abused. I don't care what is acceptable in the pros or other areas. This is stepping way over the amateur line.

JM - He was saying the lefty pitcher was crossing the plain before going to first. I couldn't see it from B or C.

MST- It was the Beach Blast in Red Bank, NJ. I don't think I know Terry/Skinny.

B: I do not officiate to be abused. I don't care what is acceptable in the pros or other areas. This is stepping way over the amateur line.

MST- It was the Beach Blast in Red Bank, NJ. I don't think I know Terry/Skinny.

a 13U ejected coach comes back for more and kicks dirt on you.........and you ended the game.......personally I got no problem with that.......and it seems the tourney staff didnt either......

I know MSTaylor and I have both been on tourney staffs and if you didnt...it sounds as if the TD's would have..........we all have our limits....

a 13U ejected coach comes back for more and kicks dirt on you.........and you ended the game.......personally I got no problem with that.......and it seems the tourney staff didnt either......

I know MSTaylor and I have both been on tourney staffs and if you didnt...it sounds as if the TD's would have..........we all have our limits....

Agreed.

I think for a 13u game if you dump a coach, I'm assuming he was in bench area and he comes out to you on the field and does anything other than ask you a question or bark for a short period of time, ending game is probably ok. Thats still young enough where coaches do some really stupid things sometimes. Being that anything under 13 or 14 year old teams is the pinnacle of coaching, thus the best coaches in the game forgo their major league careers to stay in that level. :jerkit:

my initial thought was that this was an awfully quick forfeiture but I think that at 13U, its OK for an ump to say "enough is enough." I really hate the idea of "I'm tossed, now what are you gonna do to me."

my initial thought was that this was an awfully quick forfeiture but I think that at 13U, its OK for an ump to say "enough is enough." I really hate the idea of "I'm tossed, now what are you gonna do to me."

That is my thought as well.........the "I'm already ejected and there isnt anything more you can do to me so I can behave in anyway I please attitude" needs to be addressed.....

we all have our limits............I wont be spit on and I wont be beaked or touched.......

We at the Rec level need to be aware that we are not MLB baseball, we don't make 200 grand a year to put up with this nonsense, and there are kids watching and copying our every move. We've got more at stake, here. So, while I may not walk off the field, you can bet this coach will actually acquire hang-time to the parking lot, followed by a group meeting in front of our BOD.

Larry,

I'm suprised. I've not posted much this year due to time constraints but this seems a little harsh for you given your past posts. I have a partner who threw a Legion coach for "balk" abuses about 3 weeks ago. He would not leave the bench. He promptly killed the game after giving him several "outs" to leave the field.

Who got punished? The kids.:( In this case, the coach punished both teams for not leaving the field. In your case, I believe, you punished both teams. No winners there.

Thoughts?

Roy

Larry,

I'm suprised. I've not posted much this year due to time constraints but this seems a little harsh for you given your past posts. I have a partner who threw a Legion coach for "balk" abuses about 3 weeks ago. He would not leave the bench. He promptly killed the game after giving him several "outs" to leave the field.

Who got punished? The kids.:( In this case, the coach punished both teams for not leaving the field. In your case, I believe, you punished both teams. No winners there.

Thoughts?

Roy

Since it was the semi-finals and a close game, the coach punished his team. As has been commented and was part of my thought process, he was already ejected. There was nothing I could do to him. But more to the point, this childish behavior should not be tolerated.

I have no problem with my reaction to what he did. I do not accept the "what about the kids?" argument. I was not the one out of control and acting childish.

If you feel that you should tolerate someone kicking dirt on you "for the kids", then by all means, do what you think is right.

Therefump. No winners?? Forfeit in 6th inning--not too many more pitches or at bats. But I almost guarantee that some players, coaches, and parents got a life lesson. One game in a season of games for 13 year olds versus a chance to learn respect for authority and common courtesy ( sometimes not easily learned). Kids get punished all the time--sometimes unjustly. Just like adults. Some people call it LIFE. YMMV. Jack

Punished both teams? Heck one team got a win. What i've seen so far thats all that the parents care about anyway. How fair would it be to the team that didn't have a coach ejected to watch all of the ejected coaches antics go un puninshed.

You can't let coaches get away with everything because to hold them accountable is punishing the kids.

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinved that walking off is the proper thing to do here. You've tossed this nitwit already, and both sets of kids are watching this clown act like a 6 year old. I think just standing and letting him carry on until he decides to let the rest of you play sends the wrong message. We try and teach our lids that there are consequences for our actions. He argued, he got tossed. He threw a nutty and wouldn't let the game continue, so y'all left. Simple as that.

Terry is the owner of ECTB and Skinny is one of his TDs. Skinny was the TD on a final one time that I kicked the wheels out of. He finally convinced me to finish but only on my terms. It was something I didn't do lightly but I saw as the only recourse.