Ball bags: sweat/water proof

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5005 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's step back here a moment.

If I'm sweating so much that the ball bags are getting soaked, I think I've got more important things to worry about. Like my eminent death.

I was given a pair of the OC ball bags, that have some sort of plasticy material in them. I'll use them the next time rain is effecting the condition of the baseballs here in San Diego. They are well built, though. I'll try them on this afternoon at the fields.

I was given matching, gray ball bags for my Gerry Davis pants. They're small, and ugly. They'll go into the same retirement bag with the pants. Actually, I'll probably save the OC bags, and Davis pants for muddy conditions. That's the ticket. So maybe in a couple of years, when it rains again, I'll be ready.

Good answer Kevin!! Not being a smart***, but I don't think "They" will ever make it to Wyoming. However, I foresee an equipment upgrade in the near future. Oh yes 2 more weeks with a splint and then hand rehab. But i am going to be on field next weekend.

I wish you all the luck in the world in getting back out there! You need it; it needs you!

If I'm sweating so much that the ball bags are getting soaked, I think I've got more important things to worry about. Like my eminent death.

Kyle, You've probably never worked in the southeast. From June to September a cool day is 85 degrees and we'll never get below 90% humidity. The sweat starts pouring quickly.

A few times every year my shoes get so filled with sweat I slosh as I step or run. I can actually take off my shoe and dump out the water. It's the downside of all of the performance wear I wear. All the sweat wicks down and then gets stuck in my shoes.

I know a lot of people look down on it but down here you have to take some water on the field with you.

Mazz, John and the guys in the gulf area have it worse than I do and I can feel for them.

In this day and age, with all that is known about the devastating effects of dehydration, it's incomprehensible why an umpire bringing a water supply on or near the field is frowned upon. Absolutely preposterous.

Aside from the general well-being of the human being, brain function--including vision--is adversely affected by even mild dehydration. You would think hydrating would be encouraged.

I'm all for doing things exactly the way "they" want it done---except this one thing. There are ways to do it that don't look bad.

There was a thread on another site where some people commented it was not professional to bring a water bottle on the field.

So whats more important Own Safety or Professionalism.

I vote for Safety!

I will always have water on the field with me.

Last weekend i had 3 games in 98+ degree with heat index over 100 and Humidity over 90%. No shade whatsoever.

I drank 7-10 waters and gatorades a game.

This particular day the consession stand was right behind the backstop so they kept bringing us drinks as we needed them but i have taken my own cooler on the field before.

Even had water breaks for the kids a few times.

So whats more important Own Safety or Professionalism.

I vote for Safety!

I will always have water on the field with me.

Last weekend i had 3 games in 98+ degree with heat index over 100 and Humidity over 90%. No shade whatsoever.

I drank 7-10 waters and gatorades a game.

This particular day the consession stand was right behind the backstop so they kept bringing us drinks as we needed them but i have taken my own cooler on the field before.

Even had water breaks for the kids a few times.

It never gets any hotter than 110 or 112 here with 70 percent humidity, so it's not so bad. :shrug:

I wish you all the luck in the world in getting back out there! You need it; it needs you. ....... And just so you know, if you use the @ symbol to write the word @ss, the profanity filter won't catch it.

Thanks for the well wishes. I have definitely been going stir crazy sitting around the house. Also in response to your second post - note that i used three asterisks * :shrug:

When I was running competitively, I learned the importance of hydration. Now I start drinking water hours before games when the weather is hot, and in this area it is commonplace for umpires to have a drink of water between innings. Following the game, I like a sports drink.

I prefer finding someone in the dugout to bring a cup of water out to me, but if that's not possible, a bottle near the backstop will work. It's American Legion, not the MLB!

The popular saying here in the mid-south this time of year is "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

I've tweaked that for umpiring: "It's not the heat, it's the stupidity!"

I see guys show up after work, slug down a Red Bull, and then wonder why they get dizzy, lose their strike zone, or cramp up during a game.

Cardinal Fan:

Your comment about having a fan bring you water reminded of a funny tale:

A caveat: I intend no disrespect to the Hispanic folks.

A couple of yrs ago i was working dish for the local AmLg team, about the fourth inning i scanned the crowd and found a young lady, who was also one of my students, and asked her to get me a bottle of water. she comes back and then facetiously says: "sure get the Mexican to do this" (Yes she is Hispanic) We both laughed. For the next two yrs she would always come to class saying "Hey your favorite Mexican is here" This past spring, at our last concert, she brought me out 2 cases of bottled water as her senior parting gift. ;)

Cardinal Fan:

Your comment about having a fan bring you water reminded of a funny tale:

A caveat: I intend no disrespect to the Hispanic folks.

A couple of yrs ago i was working dish for the local AmLg team, about the fourth inning i scanned the crowd and found a young lady, who was also one of my students, and asked her to get me a bottle of water. she comes back and then facetiously says: "sure get the Mexican to do this" (Yes she is Hispanic) We both laughed. For the next two yrs she would always come to class saying "Hey your favorite Mexican is here" This past spring, at our last concert, she brought me out 2 cases of bottled water as her senior parting gift. ;)

That's funny. The world would be a better place if we all had her sense of humor.

Water on the field is a must at times...worked games yesterday with air temp in the low 90's...heat index was around 105. I was on bases and drank about 6 16.9oz bottles of water and still needed more. I don't ever want to get dehydrated again...like being drunk without the fun! I also see the need for ball bags that will keep sweat away from the baseballs...when your pants are wet from the waistband to the knees your ball bags are getting soaked!

Water on the field is a must at times...worked games yesterday with air temp in the low 90's...heat index was around 105. I was on bases and drank about 6 16.9oz bottles of water and still needed more. I don't ever want to get dehydrated again...like being drunk without the fun! I also see the need for ball bags that will keep sweat away from the baseballs...when your pants are wet from the waistband to the knees your ball bags are getting soaked!

Ahhh....the good old tw0 tone pants from the heat....:TD:

Ahhh....the good old tw0 tone pants from the heat....:D

The association wants charcoal grey when I only have heather grey, fine I'll give them charcoal grey in about a hour in this heat and it was well worth the two dollar bottle of water investment to look "professional". :TD: