Ball bags: sweat/water proof

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5025 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone using either the Dri-lo or Officials Choice ball bags that are both said to be sweat proof and water proof? If so, how do you like them or rate them. I am thinking about adding one or the other to my umpire wardrobe.

I don't see a need for a "Sweat Proof" bag. Never seen anyone seat that much that their ball bags got wet.

I prefer Smitty Ball bags and highly recommend them.

Anyone using either the Dri-lo or Officials Choice ball bags that are both said to be sweat proof and water proof? If so, how do you like them or rate them. I am thinking about adding one or the other to my umpire wardrobe.

I use the Dry-Lo's and they work great, like a ball bag should. My experience with very ball bags isn't extensive since I've only used a honig's ball bag before that a veteran umpire game to me on my first plate game. Here in Florida there's allot of rain and humidity so it didn't hurt to get the Dry-Lo, but I never encountered any problem with my Honig's ball bag and I only purchased a Dry-Lo was because they looked cool and I liked the feel of the material.

My rating of the Dry-Lo's has be excellent except I have had to bring out the scissors on several occasions since occasionally there would be some strings that are showing or hanging out. In fact I just went to honigs today and purchased another Navy Dry-Lo and the guy asked me what color I wanted but I said navy, but it appears on there website that they our out of stock for the black one for the 2010 season, I saw that the jim evans store sells them and they probably are sold at other stores but these ball bags have been pretty good to me and I have had no problems with them and I deal with rain on a regular basis and the heat and I have never had damp baseballs. They fit 3 softballs which I wouldn't recommend because I tried that in one bag and it was overly stuffed but manageable, and that prompted me to get another one so now I am the proud owner of 2 navy's and 1 black. :hi5:

I have used the Ultimate ball bags from Ump Attire for about two seasons now. They are really nice, made of good material, don't bunch up. The only problem is that I wish they were a bit bigger and had a bigger opening. It is difficult at times to get baseballs out of them quickly.

I ordered some stuff from Honigs last week and they had their large ball bags on sale so I got two of them. I wore them in a game last week and I like them because they're easier to retrieve baseballs from. I'll probably keep using both the UA and the Honigs bags, as both work pretty well.

I don't see a need for a "Sweat Proof" bag. Never seen anyone seat that much that their ball bags got wet.

I prefer Smitty Ball bags and highly recommend them.

Normally I do not have a problem, but with humidity and 3 solo games a couple of Sundays ago, they were absolutley soaked. I have been looking at these as well. Curious as to what the guys in the warmer climates think....

If you remember the CWS last year they wer throwing new balls in from the dugout because they were getting so wet from the ump.

I use the Ultimates from Ump-Attire and really like them.

Screw the baseballs getting wet.. I put my check in one of the inside pockets and it doesn't get ruined.

I sweat liek a pig, actually so bad my shoes have become waterlogged because everything wicks down. But I've never had a problem with my sweat making the baseballs too wet to play with.

I don't sweat much, but I wear the Dri-Lo bags anyway. I think I may buy a pair of the Ultimates from Ump Attire this winter, just to see which ones I like better.

The Dri-Lo bags have plenty of room, the inside pockets are good, and the construction is adequate, even though I've also had to trim loose threads from time to time.

Our evaluators have a policy of, while telling us what we need to work on, to "find something positive to say about the umpire".

My eval? "You don't sweat much for a fat guy"

..I guess I'm good with the Smitty's...

Normally I do not have a problem, but with humidity and 3 solo games a couple of Sundays ago, they were absolutley soaked. I have been looking at these as well. Curious as to what the guys in the warmer climates think....
Smitty ball bags are as generic as they get, except for one thing: the inside pockets are as deep as the bag itself, which makes retrieving anything exceedingly difficult. I used them once and gave them away. The standard Honig's bags are the recommended ones in this generic type of bag.

The Dri-Los and the UA Ultimate are quite similar. Dri-Los are slightly larger; Ump-Attire's are made of a higher-quality, fade-resistant fabric, and the pockets are made of the moisture-proof material, rather than the fabric found on the outside. Also, the Dri-Los are more accessible, because they're larger and there's more space between the tunnel loops.

The principal difference other than size is the hidden zippered pocket on the UA Ultimate. It's pretty handy for securing things you don't normally need access to (game fee; keys; etc.).

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

the inside pockets are as deep as the bag itself, which makes retrieving anything exceedingly difficult. I used them once and gave them away. The standard Honig's bags are the recommended ones in this generic type of bag.

I had these Smitty ball bags and had a devil of a time getting my brush out. I ended up taking them to my mother to sew the pockets more shallow.

While the discussion continues: Is there "preferred" color. I have seen black, heather grey, dark navy. Does it depend on shirt color or some other aspect, OR shall i lodge this in the WGAS file? (Who Gives a ****)

It does depend on the locale. IMO, the grey looks worst -- it never quite matches the pants, and it's too close to be contrasting.

I wear navy with the navy shirts, and black with the black and polo shirts. I'd also wear it with the cream shirts, if I wore those.

If you're wearing maroon or brown or green or .... then it doesn't really matter what color you wear because your believability is shot already.

While the discussion continues: Is there "preferred" color. I have seen black, heather grey, dark navy. Does it depend on shirt color or some other aspect, OR shall i lodge this in the WGAS file? (Who Gives a ****)
Black is the default ball bag color, because it always matches the belt and shoes, and is a complementary color to the charcoal gray slacks. Navy ball bags can be worn with a navy cap and shirt, or with a powder shirt and navy cap, but black can worn at any time.

Gray ball bags are out and have been out for a few years now. Navy is disappearing as both a shirt and ball bag color.

Black Dri-Los are a good choice.

Black!

Here is my next question/statement: (Devil's Advocate) Who in the he** are the "style police" that have made these decisions as to color, appropriate pants (combo, no combo pants, plate pants only for plate work) Navy Shirts are going away, red is dead. etc.... ? Rhetorical - no need to answer, unless you really want to. : ) ty

Here is my next question/statement: (Devil's Advocate) Who in the he** are the "style police" that have made these decisions as to color, appropriate pants (combo, no combo pants, plate pants only for plate work) Navy Shirts are going away, red is dead. etc.... ? Rhetorical - no need to answer, unless you really want to. : ) ty

They're the ones who decide that you'll do low-level games forever if you don't comply and instead wear gray ball bags or heather slacks.

I've used the Dry Lo's for several seasons now....without a problem.

2 ball bags / Saddlebags for the adult leagues that give me 6 balls to start with....these bags handle 4 baseballs easily.

I'll use a lesser bag....the OC ones they give you free sometimes for other games if needed....but my comfort zone lies with the Dry Lo bags.

Scuzz

The same ones who decided that white long-sleeved shirts and bow ties were no longer to be used, and that navy pullovers should replace the elbecos, ....

They're the ones who decide that you'll do low-level games forever if you don't comply and instead wear gray ball bags or heather slacks.

Good answer Kevin!! Not being a smart***, but I don't think "They" will ever make it to Wyoming. However, I foresee an equipment upgrade in the near future. Oh yes 2 more weeks with a splint and then hand rehab. But i am going to be on field next weekend.