Sign in to follow this  
Mike Prince

Injured batter

Level of play is Cal Ripken majors with bat-around rule. 1-1 count on the batter and pitch goes off his bat directly to his face. He is down for several minutes but continues in the game.

Question is, how to handle if he cannot continue? I was watching this game after mine got over tonight, my good friend had the dish. I said since a pinch hitter isn't possible with bat-around someone would have to inherit the 1-2 count and finish the at-bat.

But, who would finish it? One way would be to use a "courtesy" batter, similar to a runner. Or, the next batter in the order could finish the injured player's AB and then take his normal turn at bat.

I checked my Babe Ruth rulebook when I got home and couldn't find anything which addresses this situation.

Any input appreciated, thanks.

I don't know if any of the major youth systems actually tell you how to handle this with a continuous batting order. Several methods have been suggested over the years, next batter takes his count and just continue or last out takes his count. Then next time through, just condense the lineup.

I would say that the last out gets a second chance of sorts, like they do as courtesy runners.

I wouldn't want to punish the next batter because his buddy ahead of him got hurt. He would be starting with a 1-2 count. How is that fair?

I would think that if the next batter finished up the injured player's AB, he would get his own AB after that (using a courtesy runner if needed). That way no one is penalized.

The LL Rules Instruction Manual says for LL:

League uses the continuous batting order and a player gets hurt while at-bat. What do we do now? Answer: The next batter in the order takes his/her place and assumes the count and the game continues. If that injured player is unable to continue in the game the next time he/she is scheduled to bat merely skip over him/her and continue the game.

• Like 1

LL didn't address this situation until recently. We had a local rule before that, to handle it in the same manner. Just understand that partial at-bats don't count as a full AB, for minimum play requirement.

Mike, realize your asking about CalRipkin so this may not apply. Had the same thing happen recently at a LL Juniors (14u) game that was using continuous batting. We used Rich I's method above, which is the latest published in LL's 2012 RIM. I also found something similar on LL's website. The one on their site however was originally published in 2007 and complicates the issue. My advice, what ever your group decides, keep it simple.

Here is the link the interpretation;

http://www.littleleague.org/learn/rules/ruleinterpretations/0704ruleinterpretationapr07.htm

here we go with local rules again... our LL uses CBO and specifies that if a batter is injured and can not continue his at bat, he is out. :jerkit:

I'm starting to wonder how they manage to keep their charter.

What is CBO?

Continuous Batting Order - Everyone on the roster is in the batting order, as opposed to only the 9 who currently have defensive positions.

Thanks! I'm just a rookie!!! :smachhead:

here we go with local rules again... our LL uses CBO and specifies that if a batter is injured and can not continue his at bat, he is out. :jerkit:

I'm starting to wonder how they manage to keep their charter.

CBO, or the Continuous Batting Order (as opposed to bat 9), is an afterthought for Williamsport. They haven't, until just recently, thought about the ramifications of different situations such as these. Currently, there is are two different intepretations being hashed out over injured batters, and who takes their place, over on the LL side.

Up until that point, we had a legal local rule for that, that stated the next batter assumed their spot, and count. It was a 9.01© situation before that. There's no way to call an out for that, on the LL side, without applying for a waiver, as that's a playing rule. (it would be denied, BTW).

On the Ripken side, it's also a 9.01© call, unless they've specifically addressed it, or your local has.