Hockey style helmet

fan1775
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5002 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Trying to decide from a variety of hockey style helmets. Main focus is on light-weight and comfort...I do mainly select type baseball, very little high school, so I don't need the greatest protection in the world (relatively speaking of course)....

Any opinions on the following? (I am completely ignorant on this topic...)

Rawlings CFA1 COOLFLO® Adult Hockey Style Catcher/Umpire Helmet

Rawlings CFA2 CoolFlo ABS Hockey Style Catcher's Mask

Diamond DCH-EDGE Umpire Mask

Champro Hel-Max Adult Catchers Baseball Helmet

All Star MVP2300SP BK hockey style headgear

Any other suggestions? (I can find all of these in the $75 range, so that's what I'm looking for....)

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It runs about $100, but the new All-Star MVP2500 would be a great helmet for you. I wear the 4000, but they are very similar. The new moisture wicking padding that All-Star put in this year is great....it is even washable. I was not a fan of the older model all-stars, but I have been converted.

Great products.

Trying to decide from a variety of hockey style helmets. Main focus is on light-weight and comfort...I do mainly select type baseball, very little high school, so I don't need the greatest protection in the world (relatively speaking of course)....

Any opinions on the following? (I am completely ignorant on this topic...)

Rawlings CFA1 COOLFLO® Adult Hockey Style Catcher/Umpire Helmet

Rawlings CFA2 CoolFlo ABS Hockey Style Catcher's Mask

Diamond DCH-EDGE Umpire Mask

Champro Hel-Max Adult Catchers Baseball Helmet

All Star MVP2500 hockey style headgear

Any other suggestions? (I can find all of these in the $75 range, so that's what I'm looking for....)

Thanks!

That's also my suggestion in the under-$100 HSM category.

Hey Fan,

I hope you don't mind if I chime in... My name is Brad and I'm one of the product development guys (among other things) over at All-Star.

The MVP2300 is a great helmet. It has the same shell and cage as the MVP2200. The only difference is the liner. The MVP2300 has a "dual density" foam liner meaning that it has a firm EVA foam against the shell... and that is backed with a soft fitting foam... to keep it comfotable. Depending on useage, the MVP2300 will only last for a season or two at best. The foam just breaks down faster than others.

The MVP2300 does test extremly well though. Compared to the MVP2200, the two helmets test virtually identical in terms of impact tests (we have our own testing facility here). Hands down, you should feel completely confident behind the plate wearing the MVP2300. The helmet will do its job. In fact, we use to supply our minor league catchers with the MVP2200 up until we began phasing it out for the new System Seven™ masks....

... which leads me to my next point... For just a bit more (as Slo and Kevin already mentioned... thanks guys!) you could go with the MVP2500. This compared to the MVP2300 is a massive upgrade.

If you have any questions feel free to ask! Good luck in your mask hunt!

-Brad

gotta tell you, I'm in love with my Shock FX

I was too...until I wore my All-Star MVP4000. Not sure how often the Shock will come out of the bag anymore.

Not sure what the life is, but all of the moisture wicking padding throughout the the helmet is attached using velcro so it can be washed...and I know that they sell replacement padding sets as well.

From the look of the padding there will probably not be much breakdown. I plan on getting a couple years out of the padding in mine. I will probably order some replacement pads soon just so I have them when I need them.

I have yet to find anyone that sells the pads online, but I know that All-Star sells them.

The padding in the 4000 and 2500 will last you many, many seasons. The padding is easily removable and washable. This also allows you to clean the shell of the mask inside and out.

Here's a link to a video of my brother (Stan) talking about the padding of the mask:

If for any reason you want an extra set of padding, contact me or anyone else at All-Star. The only items we can sell direct are replacement parts... including padding. If you mention this forum, I'll even knock a few points off the cost.

-Brad

Brad,

I'm still standing by for your new chest protector. I was going to drop some extra coin on a WV Gold, but if your's is in the pipeline, I can hold off. Any updates?

Kyle

Looks like next summer we should have something. My goal is for the beginning of spring. Technically, it will be a product for 2012, but once the design is finalized, I'm planning on having a limited amount brought in for the 2011 season.

It's in the design process now. In fact, a prototype is sitting right next to me.

You guys on the forum have been amazing! There have been a handfull of you guys who have contacted me regarding what their dream CPU would be. Ive gotten tons of feedback and welcome any more! You guys will be the ones wearing this thing, so your feedback and ideas are going to be a huge factor in the success of this.

If you have ideas or want to tell me the pros and cons of your current or past chest protectors feel free to PM me here or e-mail me: bjurga (at) all-starsports (dot) com

Thanks!

Looks like next summer we should have something. My goal is for the beginning of spring. Technically, it will be a product for 2012, but once the design is finalized, I'm planning on having a limited amount brought in for the 2011 season.

It's in the design process now. In fact, a prototype is sitting right next to me.

You guys on the forum have been amazing! There have been a handfull of you guys who have contacted me regarding what their dream CPU would be. Ive gotten tons of feedback and welcome any more! You guys will be the ones wearing this thing, so your feedback and ideas are going to be a huge factor in the success of this.

If you have ideas or want to tell me the pros and cons of your current or past chest protectors feel free to PM me here or e-mail me: bjurga (at) all-starsports (dot) com

Thanks!

Ohhhh Brad, I hope you have a lot of room in your inbox buddy!!! :cheers:

You guys on the forum have been amazing! There have been a handfull of you guys who have contacted me regarding what their dream CPU would be.

Brad, you're the one who should be commended. The interest and responsiveness you've shown is commendable. Too many times it seems manufacturers make what they want to make and don't listen to what their customers want. Your willingness to get out here and listen to what the "small people" (as BP's Chairman would say) have to say - good and bad - is awesome. I trust that your willingness to listen and adjust will be rewarded by successful products. I, for one, definitely look more favorably on All Star products (a brand I hadn't really considered in the past) because of your presence here.

My main recommendation would be to test it, test it, test it. Get it out in the field as soon as possible in as wide an array of conditions as possible. LL, High School, College, Pros, Baseball, Softball, warm climates, cool climates, you get the idea. I, of course, would be happy to test it but there are many far more eminent here than myself...:clap:

Or maybe Warren's the one who deserves all the credit - he's the one who created this great place for us all to interact...:cheers:

Edited by ukce1861

So what makes the All Star better than the others, just the comfort? Are they lightweight compared to the competition?

MUCH better looking, and All-Star has their own air cannon and rifles balls at their masks / HSM for durability .....find testing on youtube! PLUS....how many Wilson or other mfgs do you see on here chatting it up with potential customers ?!?!?!?! Answer: NOT MANY!:cheers:

Brad's the shizzle!! :clap:

So what makes the All Star better than the others, just the comfort? Are they lightweight compared to the competition?

My son was a catcher---and a man-sized one at that---when he was a kid. He wore a middle-of-the-line ($150 or so in 2001) All-Star, which, of course, is what I wore when I caught scrimmages and bullpens. It was an extremely durable, well-balanced, extremely protective helmet that we retired only because he stopped catching, and I stopped catching his bullpens.

If I went back to an HSM as an umpire, it looks like I would be buying the All-Star 4000. Excellence in hockey style catcher/umpire masks.

I am also looking forward to seeing the new CP designs when they come out.

As for the HSM... I looked at and tried on an MVP4000, and, while I was not comfortable enough to make the switch from a traditional mask, If i was to do so, The MVP4000 would without question be my choice. In fact, I would probably spring for the extra cash and get the Titanium cage.

Currently I am using the FM25TI Mask...and I love it!

Edited by NuBlue

I have a rather large coconut, thus the one that fits me best is the Easton Stealth Catchers Helmet. I love it and have cracked two, but very protective. You can do a little searching and usually can find the price of it on a retail side of $119, to be dropped into the $65 dollar range...and YES, I wear a 6'' Wilson throat protector with it, and that is also a KEY.

As for the HSM... I looked at and tried on an MVP4000, and, while I was not comfortable enough to make the switch from a traditional mask

This is my problem. I can't feel comfortable inside a HSM. I'm waiting on the new traditional mask from All-Star -- would love to see it in action.

• 2 weeks later...

I run the MVP2200AL. I got one of the last ones honigs had. I ran this mask for almost 7 years before too. The new MVP's are amazing masks but they have one MAJOR ISSUE. They are so narrow if you wear Oakley's pro m or m frames they will not fit in the narrow mask. I really wanted the 4000 TI but I couldn't get my sunglasses in them.