Switch pitching?

MT_Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4378 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Found this on Youtube while just browsing around wasting time today... last i checked there was no rule claiming that the pitcher had to 'define' the way he pitches....if you dont know what im talking click the link....

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly (dont have my rule book in front of me) the batter must declare which side of the plate he will bat from and then the pitcher can declare. Also if I remember correctly this video is the reason for the rule change.

If I remember correctly (dont have my rule book in front of me) the batter must declare which side of the plate he will bat from and then the pitcher can declare. Also if I remember correctly this video is the reason for the rule change.

You remember it incorrectly.

The pitcher must indicate first.

8.01(f)

A pitcher must indicate visually to the umpire-in-chief, the batter and any runners

the hand with which he intends to pitch, which may be done by wearing his glove

on the other hand while touching the pitcher’s plate. The pitcher is not permitted

to pitch with the other hand until the batter is retired, the batter becomes a runner,

the inning ends, the batter is substituted for by a pinch-hitter or the pitcher incurs

an injury. In the event a pitcher switches pitching hands during an at-bat because

he has suffered an injury, the pitcher may not, for the remainder of the game,

pitch with the hand from which he has switched. The pitcher shall not be given

the opportunity to throw any preparatory pitches after switching pitching hands.

Any change of pitching hands must be indicated clearly to the umpire-in-chief.

There was no rule at the time - which is why the circus act.

• 2 weeks later...

There is NOTHING in the rule book that states that the pitcher must be "set" to pitch before the batter steps in the batter's box. However, it is TRADITIONAL that the batter steps in the batter's box FIRST, THEN the pitcher can toe the rubber and become set.

That being said, I could have stopped this "dance" in a heartbeat.

First, I would have called my partner in to discuss my plan.

Second, I would call BOTH managers out and said: "This is how we are going to settle this: I will call 'batter up.' He steps in to whichever box he chooses, but he stays there. I will then call 'Play' to the pitcher. He can wear the glove on the hand he chooses, but it stays on that hand. This is a baseball game, not a dance. Let's go." And, if a manager should choose to "discuss" it further, he runs the risk of being ejected because I JUST SOLVED THE PROBLEM FOR THEM.

There is NOTHING in the rule book that states that the pitcher must be "set" to pitch before the batter steps in the batter's box. However, it is TRADITIONAL that the batter steps in the batter's box FIRST, THEN the pitcher can toe the rubber and become set.

Second, I would call BOTH managers out and said: "This is how we are going to settle this: I will call 'batter up.' He steps in to whichever box he chooses, but he stays there. I will then call 'Play' to the pitcher. He can wear the glove on the hand he chooses, but it stays on that hand. This is a baseball game, not a dance. Let's go." And, if a manager should choose to "discuss" it further, he runs the risk of being ejected because I JUST SOLVED THE PROBLEM FOR THEM.

Or, you could just follow the rule.

Follow the rule: Well, we have OBR, NCAA, NFHS, LL, and probably more I have not mentioned. There has to be MORE uniformity in the rules (and their applications) among these organizations.

Follow the rule: Well, we have OBR, NCAA, NFHS, LL, and probably more I have not mentioned. There has to be MORE uniformity in the rules (and their applications) among these organizations.

There doesn't need to be any uniformity.

It is up to the organization to modify the rules of baseball as they see fit.

As a Umpire it is your job to know the rule set you are umpiring under.

Also realize that there is a lot of uniformity.

The difference is in Safety and things like Balks, When a Ball is Declared Dead, DH, EH etc

If you truly know OBR you should not have a problem knowing the differences under the other sets if you are working games under them.

This rule is the same in pro, college and HS rules so its not that hard to know the differences. Of course if youd still like to make s*** up, as your previous post seemed to say, then go ahead.