Was I wrong?

ncblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5045 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

12u game tonite. Batter squares to bunt and lays bunt down. It hits home plate and bounces back up and hits the bat. I didn't call anything as under 6.05(h)-imo-he is not out. Got a lot of garbage from fans and a little from dc-not a lot but just wanted to make sure I got it right

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12u game tonite. Batter squares to bunt and lays bunt down. It hits home plate and bounces back up and hits the bat. I didn't call anything as under 6.05(h)-imo-he is not out. Got a lot of garbage from fans and a little from dc-not a lot but just wanted to make sure I got it right

Should have called "FOUL".

Rich, can you find the clarification online somewhere?

There was a pdf floating around for awhile

Here's the relevant part:

8. Ball striking batter, or his bat a second time, while batter is still in

batter’s box

Rule 6.03: The batter’s legal position shall be with both feet within the batter’s box.

APPROVED RULING: The lines defining the box are within the batter’s box.

Rule 6.05: A batter is out when—

(g) His fair ball touches him before touching a fielder. <If the batter is in a legal position in the batter’s

box, see Rule 6.03, and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the

course of the ball, a batted ball that strikes the batter or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball>;

Change to past practice:

1. Rule change: if a batted ball strikes the batter or

his bat while the batter is in his legal position:

foul ball.

2. If the batter has one foot outside the batter’s box,

batter is out for interference.

3. If the batter intentionally interferes he is out

regardless of his position in the batter’s box.

There was a pdf floating around for awhile

Here's the relevant part:

8. Ball striking batter, or his bat a second time, while batter is still in

batter’s box

Rule 6.03: The batter’s legal position shall be with both feet within the batter’s box.

APPROVED RULING: The lines defining the box are within the batter’s box.

Rule 6.05: A batter is out when—

(g) His fair ball touches him before touching a fielder. <If the batter is in a legal position in the batter’s

box, see Rule 6.03, and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the

course of the ball, a batted ball that strikes the batter or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball>;

Change to past practice:

1. Rule change: if a batted ball strikes the batter or

his bat while the batter is in his legal position:

foul ball.

2. If the batter has one foot outside the batter’s box,

batter is out for interference.

3. If the batter intentionally interferes he is out

regardless of his position in the batter’s box.

PURE AWESOMENESS RICH!! :notworthy: Thanks ....

So, if the LEFT leg is lifted in the start of a run but still within the box area, and with the right foot still on the ground in the box, and the ball hits his LEFT knee, ...foul ball ?!?

Yes, foul ball.

thanks! After I posted it, I started thinking, ...DUH,..I know this, but thanks anyhow.

It's one foot totally OUT of the box ...which is really more of a rareity. Meaning, you're going to have a foul ball MOST of the time......

thanks! After I posted it, I started thinking, ...DUH,..I know this, but thanks anyhow.

It's one foot totally OUT of the box ...which is really more of a rareity. Meaning, you're going to have a foul ball MOST of the time......

It can get tricky if you have a batter who is skilled at laying down a drag bunt.

Let us know if you see one - they're pretty rare at even the highest levels of baseball these days.

what if the foot is touching the plate and the Batter's box line at the same time?... what do you have now?

what if the foot is touching the plate and the Batter's box line at the same time?... what do you have now?

What is this, a quiz ?! :crazy:

FOUL BALL still.......if he's on the batters box line, he's in the box regardless of whether his foot can touch the plate

Edited by Thunderheads

Batter's out. You're not allowed to touch the plate while hitting the ball. I don't care how close the lines are drawn.

Batter's out. You're not allowed to touch the plate while hitting the ball. I don't care how close the lines are drawn.

Based on what? In some codes (I think it's FED, but it might be NCAA) this is true, but not in OBR. Check 6.06(a). It just says he must have a foot entirely outside the box - there's nothing about the plate.

I believe that FED and NCAA codes make the "or step on the plate" addition to the foot outside the box on a swing rule. Don't have those books here to look at though.

The key to what Mazza posted was, ...his one foot is on the line of the box, which we all know = "in" ....so .....if you want to call a kid out w/ both feet in the box, ....have fun!:o

on edit: bikerider, NOT intended for you persay, just a general comment....:o

Bikerider is correct.

Both FED and NCAA have the "touching the plate" included in their illegally batted ball rule.

NCAA: 7-10

An illegally batted ball is:

a. A ball hit, fair or foul, by the batter when either one or both of the

batter’s feet are upon the ground entirely outside the lines of the batter’s

box or when touching home plate;

FED: 7-3 A Batter Shall Not

ART. 2 . . . Hit the ball fair or foul while either foot or knee is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box or touching home plate.

Bikerider is correct.

Both FED and NCAA have the "touching the plate" included in their illegally batted ball rule.

NCAA: 7-10

An illegally batted ball is:

a. A ball hit, fair or foul, by the batter when either one or both of the

batter’s feet are upon the ground entirely outside the lines of the batter’s

box or when touching home plate;

FED: 7-3 A Batter Shall Not

ART. 2 . . . Hit the ball fair or foul while either foot or knee is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box or touching home plate.

So, in Mazza's scenario, we have in OBR, he's fine, but in FED or NCAA he's out. One foot in the box, and the other touching the line but also touching the plate?

YES?

So, in Mazza's scenario, we have in OBR, he's fine, but in FED or NCAA he's out. One foot in the box, and the other touching the line but also touching the plate?

YES?

Yes by the rule.

IMO it's a tough call in practice though unless the batter steps on the plate enough to move his body into your field of vision to make you realize he has stepped too far.