Smitty Polywools

Welpe
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3549 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I like U-A Ultimates.  Wish they came in more colors.  Also have had good luck with Honig's I purchased in 2006 and 2007 that I am still wearing.  No issues with The Official's Choice cheap shirts either.   I have so many shirts and rotate them they have not worn out.   I don't doubt you but I haven't had any problems with any of my other shirts so far to justify trying a Smitty branded one.

Smitty in my closet:

Pro style Shirts=Great - very close to Majestic

Old style shirts=Great - stretchy

Polyester pants=OK value

Polywool pants=yuck

Ball bags=thin and cheap, more yuck

Pro style jacket=OK value

Their version of the Therma Base is exactly like the Majestic. I have one and love it. 

I was lucky enough to score a black and a blue Majestic Brand MLB shirt from Gerry Davis back in February or March for $20 each.  Cheapest shirts I have ever purchased in regard to price.  Only worn the black one once so far. 

I was lucky enough to score a black and a blue Majestic Brand MLB shirt from Gerry Davis back in February or March for $20 each.  Cheapest shirts I have ever purchased in regard to price.  Only worn the black one once so far. 

I ordered those as well..... Awesome shirts!

The new Honigs shirts are great. Much better than the mesh ones they did about 4-5 years ago.

As for pants, not sure what the Milb guys are wearing this year. Last year was when Jim posted about getting Honigs to help him complete the order since the company he was trying to use for PW pants in 2013 folded.

Wish we could go back to 2012 when Hardwicks was making PWs for both Honigs and UA. That way we had an option. standard pants, or ones with a flex waist. I guess honigs got some sort of exclusivity with Hardwicks.

Not sure what I will do for pants in the future. My goal is to be way too small for my current pants by the time next spring rolls around.

• 1 month later...

Adding Smitty PW intel to this thread.

I bought 3 pairs of Smitty PWs.   One for each of myself and my two boys. 

I HATE them. 

Biggest problem is keeping them wrinkle-free.   tried hanging them damp, tumble dry low and hang cool, tumble dry medium until they were bone dry and hang them up.   Little tiny wrinkles no matter what I did. 

Even the regular smitty polyester pants don't wrinkle out of the dryer. 

Second issue - 

I ordered the S384 (base), S385 (combo) and S386 (Plate).   Both the plate and combo pants have very narrow legs.   Combo pants are un-usable behind the plate.  Simply not enough room to flex/crouch. 

I did notice that the descriptions between PW plate and Polyester Plate had a key difference.

• S376-CC Smitty Polyester - Room in legs for shin guards (approx 24"  knee)
  • S386 Smitty Polywool - Standard leg width

I got the pants for about $41 each, but the UA price is $50.    Now that Honigs PWs are at $67/$70 I just can't justify trying to save $20, even for wreck ball. 

Cam and I have Honigs PWs and there is absolutely no comparison between Honigs and Smitty PWs.   Two completely different animals. 

Honigs PWs are like silk, drape well at the plate shoe, roomy and hang perfectly straight. 

There is something that is not quite right about the Smitty PWs.   I even remember Smitty had mislabeled some of the pants as plates that were actually combos, or vice versa.    I think I may have at least one pair of mislabeled pants. 

Yuck, yuck, yuck.   I would sooner wear Smitty Polyester over Smitty PW any day. 

Edit:

Here are some reviews from Ump-Attire confirming the small-leg issue in Smitty PWs.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Clothing-Apparel/Pants-Shorts/S386_Smitty-Poly-Wool-Umpire-Plate-Pant?id=546

CUSTOMER REVIEWS
AVERAGE: 

David L.

Durham, CA

I purchased these a while back based on a number of reviews I read on a random umpire forum. These were highly recommended over the competitor's pants. When I received these, I was HIGHLY disappointed! It looked like they were put together by a D student taking an upholstery class at an underfunded junior college. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. I would like to say that I was VERY satisfied with Ump-Attire.com's customer service as they not only refunded my money, but even refunded the shipping given the condition these pants were in. 

Jim T.

Oshawa, ON

Been a while since I have been on website and read reviews, after reading the reviews that have been noted here, NOW I feel I am not crazy. Apologies Ump Attire.com these are not good fitting in the lower leg. Ordered 34 this season, previous order, was a little bigger, my 36's leg in them is much better,..........WHAT did Smitty's do?

Buck B.

Aurora, CO

Like everyone else, I found the legs too tight for shin guards. Since I had already had them hemmed, all I could do was pay the tailor another $20 to take them in and turn them into base pants.

Ryan C.

West Chester, PA

Agree with previous reviews. I wear a thirty three dress pant the thirty two felt loose and they just don't fit around my shinguard's. Honig's still has the best pants, even if I have to spend the extra $.

Robert 

Rocky Mount, VA

I like the feel very much. However, I agree with the last review, they are tight with shin guards on. You must iron them after washing if you want to look professional. I prefer a more carefree pant.

See All Reviews

I bought a pair of the base pants today. Didn't buy the plate pants because of the reviews.

Wash and dry these before getting hemmed.  They shrink.  And the reviews about the plate pants are spot on. I forwarded the email from UMPATTIRE to our unit and let them know about the issues with the plate pants.