AllStar vs. Douglas CP

T-Rav
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4382 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm debating what CP I should get, I own a gold and love it but it's pretty hot and it doesn't cover all of my ribs, but I also own a honigs zero gravity and love it for 12U and below but don't have to much faith in it for big boy games. I know that you guys have been saying how you all love the allstar and the douglas but I want to find out what would be best for me. It's typically 80+ down here and with these tournaments coming up it would be common to get 4+ plates a day. I plan on doing HS baseball next year, but I am currently at LL seniors and big league along with travel ball up to 16U. Please give me your recommendations.

On a side note I am also experiencing slippage with the gold, is it easy enough to transfer to a delta flex harness?

TRav

I posted a long comparison of the All Star vs Douglas in another thread. For the reasons you mention I would recommend the All Star. The beauty of the Douglas is its simplicity. It is a thick plastic red solo cup velcroed to nylon covered padding. It has some concerned about gaps and the harness could be better. At the same price the All Star is a better choice IMO.

TRav

I posted a long comparison of the All Star vs Douglas in another thread. For the reasons you mention I would recommend the All Star. The beauty of the Douglas is its simplicity. It is a thick plastic red solo cup velcroed to nylon covered padding. It has some concerned about gaps and the harness could be better. At the same price the All Star is a better choice IMO.

The All Star looks like a Bubble on your upper body. Am I the only one that thinks it looks funny under a shirt?!?

I looked at all the allstar threads and just have one question, several posters mentioned that the allstar rubs their neck, is this the case for most and is it fixable?

I have never had any chaffing at the neck. I does fit tight but in order to protect the collar bone that has to be close. Some have used a small basketball to stretch that area a little.

I looked at all the allstar threads and just have one question, several posters mentioned that the allstar rubs their neck, is this the case for most and is it fixable?

yes it is a snug fit , i dont have an unusually thick neck so no rubbing for me . but this can be an issue depending on the individual .

marc

TRav

The All Star looks like a Bubble on your upper body. Am I the only one that thinks it looks funny under a shirt?!?

iam a big man to begin with 6'4" 250 ish (i hope) , with a good size chest . the allstar does look kinda big under my shirt .

marc

I took a direct shot to the shin today a +90 mph untouched fastball. Made a big bang, but didn't hurt a bit.

The shin?

I contacted Ump-Attire today and they are out of the 15 in all star, they said around Early May they will get back in stock. I hope they have the flex delta harness for my gold instock and the pink shirt I can't wait to wear.

So I'm now debating getting just the douglas since UE won't have the allstar instock for another month, after all I'm sure the allstar will be around for a while, while the douglas may not. However which is more comfy?

I haven't but have seen them recommended here before.

My All Star was waiting when I got home. I like the fit very much and the 15" fits me perfectly. It is tight in the neck but there is no doubt the collarbone is protected.

I hate to recommend not giving Jim your business but there is another option.

http://www.baseballp...-Protector.html

$149 plus free shipping.

Have you purchased from there before? If so how is the service, for the price and free shipping it's looking like a better deal...

Give it a try and let us know. That's how we all learn. If not, maybe another company will match their price...never hurts to ask.

I hate to recommend not giving Jim your business but there is another option.

http://www.baseballp...-Protector.html

$149 plus free shipping.

Have you purchased from there before? If so how is the service, for the price and free shipping it's looking like a better deal...

Give it a try and let us know. That's how we all learn. If not, maybe another company will match their price...never hurts to ask.

I'm pulling the trigger as we speak, thanks for enabling the inner gear-junkie in me UE. :BD:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've worn my CPU4000 for 3 games so far and I must say I do like it. My only issues with it have been the neck pad has been an annoyance but I finally got it properly adjusted and the plastic shoulder pads kept digging into my biceps causing a bruise. All of that just needed to be adjusted on my part and it all works great, I've taken 2 shot's, one on the right shoulder- just heard a loud bang and threw the F1 a new ball and the other shot was right to the torso on a uncaught fastball probably 75 MPH and I didn't feel a thing, and the ball rolled back halfway to the mound. Overall I really like the all star and am planning on getting their shin guards as the funds become available, so that will make me the all star man, HSM, CPU4000, and their shins. I do have some issues with the CPU4000:

• Plastic Buckles that seem hard if not impossible to replace if a ball breaks one
  • Size: This CP seem's much more rigid and bulky compared to my gold and certainly has less flex to it, as it essentially has a large plastic plate
  • The neck area seems like it's going to suffocate me, I think that has to do with the lack of padding that conforms to the neck. Can our resident allstar poster boy chime in on that?

I am disappointed that allstars products seem to be priced so high but I think they are generally worth it.

I used my All Star today for the first time.I received it friday night when i got home it was waiting for me. Took about an hour to set up trying to get it so i didnt choke trying to put shirt on and mask on. It took some adjusting but got it right. Its TIGHT around your neck but you just have to adjust to get it right. I loved it today took 2 shots and didnt feel a thing. It looks much more sleek than my platinum and does not move at all i love the harness. Yes the plastic buckles would break but they are on the side and i can imagine getting hit on the side at least they arent in front. Im 6ft 190 and got the 12inch and it fits my ribs perfect just covers them i wouldnt want it any longer.

I have used my All Star for 8-9 games. I have tinkered with the shoulder caps, put a basketball in the neck, loosened straps and tightened straps. I finally figured out the issue. On the neck there is a small pad the sits between the two main pads. The air channel pad if you will...it continually choked me. I turned it over, moved it up and down as much as I could to no avail. I have some indutrial strength velcro at the office so I put a piece about 1/2-3/4 of an inch under the factory installed piece. I moved the pad down and what a difference it has made. The original location put the pad right in the notch in my collarbone and it was pressing on my neck. Hope this might help someone else...