Jboval

Jewelry rule

If the rules say no jewelry then it means exactly that and it it all has to go even if it is popular. I know the girlfriend may have given it to them or it has some amazing skill giving ability but it is still illegal.

Are phiten necklaces somehow safer than any others?

Yes they are. They're soft, non reflective, and the clasp lets go on a hard tug. They're not distracting, nor unsafe.

That said, they're sort of jewelry, and I don't want to see them on the LL field. If I see them before the game, I remind the player that if I don't see them (i.e. tucked into their Under Armour shirt) we won't have a problem.

If I see jewelry during the pledge, I'll take one player aside and tell him "you're on jewelry duty. I saw "x" necklaces. Find them all, or I'll eject your manager". It's always worked.

It's such a non-big deal, but I do want the kids ready for the post season Storm Troopers. I've seen coaches ejected over pins on their hats. Honestly, I don't see these cloth necklaces as an issue, but I know some folks do. So I don't want to see them.

I'll take one player aside and tell him "you're on jewelry duty. I saw "x" necklaces. Find them all, or I'll eject your manager". It's always worked.

It would have been a golden opportunity for one team we had when (name withheld) was the manager.

The manager was relieved if his duties part way into the season.

I simply don't understand the reluctance on the officials part to enforce this simple safety rule. It is a SAFETY rule, never ever pass on a safety rule whether it's hemets, bats o jewelry. I'm not a big ltigation fear monger but why invite yourself into a liability position on something so simple. This isn't aimed at anybody in particular but something I see all over the country.

Me thinks a great deal of the "lack of enforcement" is an interp of what jewelry is and is not. I am sure many players and coaches feel that if it is not shiny and metal it is okay. I ask at the plate meeting "Are your players properly equipped?" This includes all "jewelry" metal and otherwise. I have had several pitchers with cloth necklaces that were tied on, not a magnetic closure. how safe is this? If in my opinion it is "body adornment" it better be off.

If it didn't grow on them and it isn't a sweat band then it goes. Other than USSSA I can't think of a youth organization that allows jewelry.

Someone once explained it to me like this:

Jewlery is just an accoutrment which serves no real purpose. If it serves a legitimate purpose like a religious or medical, then fine. Otherwise it has to go.

This was brought up in the discussion of the "Live Strong" type bands. But it applies to phiten or anything else.

But if the league has no specified jewelry rule, play on...

I'd be okay with the crown if it had ear flaps :nod:

Oh gosh, just what we need. Don't pass this on to the HS boards. Someone will come up with it. :(

American Legion is the only league I know where it's mandatory that "unless you're born with it you can't wear it during the game".

American Legion is the only league I know where it's mandatory that "unless you're born with it you can't wear it during the game".

Never done a Fed game?

Unless you mean Legion doesn't allow medical or religious jewelry either.

I had an instance where a kid was wearing a Live Strong bracelet that my partner and I didn't see. Kid slid head first into home and the bracelet got caught on the Catcher's Cleats and the runner took the catcher's leg with him as he slid. Since this incident, I always make sure to get jewelery off the players. When I'm checking hats and bats, I remind them to take off all jewelery, then at the plate conference I remind the coaches, then if someone is on the field with it, I remove it. After that I start tossing. I feel that 3 warnings is more than enough.

I could not find any such rule in their rule book.

LL district game. Coaches reminded about jewelry during plate meeting. Kid comes to bat with a black lanyard type necklace tucked into his shirt. After a foul ball, I address Jake (the hitter) and ask him to not be wearing the necklace when he comes out next inning. He says "it's not a necklace, it's a heart guard". Floored me. Of course I apologized.

LL district game. Coaches reminded about jewelry during plate meeting. Kid comes to bat with a black lanyard type necklace tucked into his shirt. After a foul ball, I address Jake (the hitter) and ask him to not be wearing the necklace when he comes out next inning. He says "it's not a necklace, it's a heart guard". Floored me. Of course I apologized.

Never heard of the product, so I looked it up. Most of them seem to be modified t-shirts; I can't even find a necklace variety.

And, when I think about it, how can a necklace-style help? It has to be moving around when he moves.

Never heard of the product, so I looked it up. Most of them seem to be modified t-shirts; I can't even find a necklace variety.

And, when I think about it, how can a necklace-style help? It has to be moving around when he moves.

I think maybe he might have been wearing This or This

Edited by catoblue

I am watching the Cardinals-Cubs game and it looks like the 1st base Ump is wearing a phiten necklace. I guess this is considered OK in MLB?