This is worth a look

jjb
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5045 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Professional baseball?

What league is this? The South Carolina Penal League?

I agree w/ Ump24 - pretty lousy way to have handled this.

Good rodeo clown move by the base umpire, though.

Edited to add:

This video is several years' old (not that it truly matters) - this was when Backman was the manager for the South Georgia Peanuts, an independent league team.

This is where Backman began his "comeback" in managing baseball, after he'd been hired and then quickly fired as the D-backs manager in 2004.

He's now managing the Mets' short season A team, the Brooklyn Cyclones in the NY-Penn League.

Edited by BrianC14

The real question is what do you do if his players decide to not pick up the crap the coach threw out on the field?

You hope it's "getaway day" at the end of a 3-game series. You let the equipment sit right there. After a reasonable amount of time, (2 minutes, tops) you declare the field unplayable, and suspend the game. The jerks (Peanuts) will have to come back if they want to complete it. B) You and your partner head for the gate and with any kind of luck, you won't run into Wally and Doc having their beers. :nod:

To me, his whole ordeal is horseSH*#. These buffoons who go on these tirades are a bunch of little whiners who just want to call attention to themselves, as well as set a bad example for the young ones watching.

Yeah, and Backman didn't leave much of an impression, either. :nod:

This is a good video for instructional purposes. We need those on this board to tell us how to handle this situation from the beginning in both the amateur game and the professional game. It sounds like many on this board have been to clinics, etc, that bring up these situations. Let's help others with what should have been done. What did the batter do, as the coach asked? It was hard to tell. If the batter said something, what should have been said or done back to him. What if he just kept staring at the ump. Would that be showing up the ump? What should the ump have said when the manager asked the question of what his player did. It sounds like after the 1:18 mark he questioned the strike zone which should have gotten him ejected pronto, but the ejection did not come till another few words later. Should the umpire not answer the question and just start walking away? What should the base ump have said or done differently at the amateur level and the pro level? What happens when they throw equipment. What if there is no grounds crew?. What if he had thrown 1st and 2nd base in the outfield and there was no grounds crew to put them back and no players put them back. What if the manager just comes out and sits on the mound or something and refuses to leave. How do you make a guy leave that will not leave. What magic words are said so you don't have to forfeit a game when the manager will not cooperate no matter what. What magic words do the amateurs use and what words do the pros use. What happens at the amateur level and the pro level? What about the profanity issue which was used from the beginning at both the amateur level and the pro level? The word "you" was not used in conjunction with that profanity many times. Oh yeh, at the very end the sissy was looking for that nail clipper and wanted someone to get it for him. What a puss.

Edited by dumbdumb

ballgame's over. Other team wins.

In any amateur game, that game is over. But, MiLB, MLB, and Independent leagues allow it b/c of the money issue. Idiots like Backman know this and pull this nonsense. It's a different world once you get to umpiring professional games.

You won't see it in college level down b/c there are far more consequences when something like this happens. The HC won't be HC for much longer.

And, for Rec ball, leave quickly b/c they don't realize they are not allow to do this. Especially, some think it is OK to hit an umpire. I have heard too many times how coaches/players/fans went after the umpires. When someone begins to act like this, forfeit/suspend the ball game and leave immediately.

Doesn't happen often? Have you EVER heard it being done? :HS

I apologize in advance for being a smart ass. But...

Why yes I have.

Do you remember the day disco died (I don't. I was before my time)?

2503394061_e13334a22a_o.jpg

Sox had to forfeit the second game of the doubleheader. It's kind of related, but then, kind of not. :HS

• 2 weeks later...

I've definitely heard of several, and was actually at Dodger Stadium in 1995 on Fotoball Night, when the normally placid Dodger Stadium crowd peppered the field with fotoballs sporadically late in the game and eventually erupted with a mass showering of the field, forcing a forfeit of the game to the Cardinals.

MLB forfeits since 1970 (from Wikipedia):

1) At the Washington Senators' final game at RFK Stadium against the New York Yankees on September 30, 1971, with the home team leading 7-5 and two outs in the top of the ninth inning, fans angered by the team's impending move to Dallas-Fort Worth, where the Senators were to become the Texas Rangers in 1972, stormed the field and vandalized the stadium.

2) Ten Cent Beer Night: A promotion held by the Cleveland Indians on June 4, 1974 backfired when intoxicated Cleveland fans jumped onto the field and attacked Texas Rangers outfielder Jeff Burroughs with the score tied 5-5 in the ninth inning. This led to a riot in which the drunken and rowdy fans -- armed with an array of debris including chunks of the stadium seating -- brawled with players from both teams as well as with staff members. The umpires forfeited the game to Texas.

3) During the September 15, 1977 game between the Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays at Exhibition Stadium, Orioles manager Earl Weaver claimed a tarp being used on the bullpen mound endangered his players. After arguing with umpire Marty Springstead, Weaver was ejected and he responded by pulling his team from the field, forfeiting the game to the Blue Jays.

4) Disco Demolition Night: On July 12, 1979, the Chicago White Sox held a game in which Chicago radio personality Steve Dahl came onto the field to blow up a box full of disco records between games of a doubleheader. Rowdy and intoxicated fans, who had packed Comiskey Park beyond capacity, immediately stormed the field, engaged in various acts of vandalism and theft, and did not leave the field until the arrival of Chicago Police in full riot gear. Umpires postponed the game and American League President Lee MacPhail later declared the second game of the doubleheader a forfeit to the visiting Detroit Tigers.

AND, the one that I was privileged to attend:

5) On August 10, 1995, the Los Angeles Dodgers gave out baseballs to paying customers as they entered the Dodger Stadium gates for a game against the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cardinals were leading the game 2-1 as the Dodgers came to bat in the bottom of the ninth inning. The first batter, Raúl Mondesí, was called out on strikes and promptly ejected by home plate umpire Jim Quick for arguing, as was Dodger manager Tommy Lasorda moments later. Dodger fans, fuelled by a series of close calls and a few rounds of alcohol, immediately began throwing the baseballs onto the field. The Cardinals left the field due to safety concerns and the umpires forfeited the game to St. Louis 15 minutes later. Following this incident, Major League Baseball mandated that should baseballs or any throwable object be given away as a promotional item, the giveaway should take place after the game.

OK, so you've had to back nearly FORTY FREAKIN' YEARS to find a small handful. Congratulations. Talk about extreme. :Horse:

And I'm plenty old enough to have remember the Kill Disco night at the old Comiskey Park.... but that's beside the point.

In a professional (hell, college game, even) if the manager throws a few bats on the field and a half bucket of balls, you damned sure aren't going to forfeit the game just because of that.

OK, so you've had to back nearly FORTY FREAKIN' YEARS to find a small handful. Congratulations. Talk about extreme. :Horse:

And I'm plenty old enough to have remember the Kill Disco night at the old Comiskey Park.... but that's beside the point.

In a professional (hell, college game, even) if the manager throws a few bats on the field and a half bucket of balls, you damned sure aren't going to forfeit the game just because of that.

We were (at least I was) just kiddin' around.

This is a good video for instructional purposes. We need those on this board to tell us how to handle this situation from the beginning in both the amateur game and the professional game. It sounds like many on this board have been to clinics, etc, that bring up these situations. Let's help others with what should have been done. What did the batter do, as the coach asked? It was hard to tell. If the batter said something, what should have been said or done back to him. What if he just kept staring at the ump. Would that be showing up the ump? What should the ump have said when the manager asked the question of what his player did. It sounds like after the 1:18 mark he questioned the strike zone which should have gotten him ejected pronto, but the ejection did not come till another few words later. Should the umpire not answer the question and just start walking away? What should the base ump have said or done differently at the amateur level and the pro level? What happens when they throw equipment. What if there is no grounds crew?. What if he had thrown 1st and 2nd base in the outfield and there was no grounds crew to put them back and no players put them back. What if the manager just comes out and sits on the mound or something and refuses to leave. How do you make a guy leave that will not leave. What magic words are said so you don't have to forfeit a game when the manager will not cooperate no matter what. What magic words do the amateurs use and what words do the pros use. What happens at the amateur level and the pro level? What about the profanity issue which was used from the beginning at both the amateur level and the pro level? The word "you" was not used in conjunction with that profanity many times. Oh yeh, at the very end the sissy was looking for that nail clipper and wanted someone to get it for him. What a puss.

Sounds like the Umpire was working above his pay grade, he EJ the batter way to quick, most times guys will ask "is that as low as your going" and you can see the batter asked something, then shaked his head like Ok.. as for the coach, he didn't make it personal to get EJ.. at 1st, the umpire should have explained what was going on. Profanity at the pro level is ok, unless it is mad personal... College and below .. some one is done... I got the pleasure to work a Independent game once, it was fun, but you can tell there is a big difference, and if you don't know your SH*#, they will smell it.. ( the fear on you)..

Edited by mazzamouth

Sounds like the Umpire was working above his pay grade, he EJ the batter way to quick, most times guys will ask "is that as low as your going" and you can see the batter asked something, then shaked his head like Ok.. as for the coach, he didn't make it personal to get EJ.. at 1st, the umpire should have explained what was going on. Profanity at the pro level is ok, unless it is mad personal... College and below .. some one is done... I got the pleasure to work a Independent game once, it was fun, but you can tell there is a big difference, and if you don't know your SH*#, they will smell it.. ( the fear on you)..

+1 :notworthy:

Doesn't happen often? Have you EVER heard it being done? :confused:

OK, so you've had to back nearly FORTY FREAKIN' YEARS to find a small handful. Congratulations. Talk about extreme. :smachhead:

Extreme? You said ever in capital letters!

You're right that it's rare, but I was in attendance at one, for crying out loud. And it was only 15 years ago. I talked to Ozzie when it was over, and we both laughingly agreed that L.A. was about the last place we would expect a fan uprising in the ninth inning. Hell, the only uprising you usually see there is when they rise up and head for the exits in the top of the eighth.