Batter Interference Question

ncblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5039 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First time poster here. Calling 12u last night-1 out R2. He takes off for third as ball gets to catcher. Catcher steps back to throw and batter steps right in his throwing line. Ball hits batter in helmet and ricochets into LF. IMO the runner was gonna be out on the throw. I called runner out and kept batter at the plate. Nobody questioned the out call but wanted explanation on why it was interference. It has been on my mind ever since. Who is called out-batter or runner?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ncblue,

The batter is out and the runner is returned to 2B.

JM

Thanks!!! It has been eating at me since I made the call. I looked thru my book and all over the 'net trying to find the correct answer. Seems like I owe the coach an apology.

You didn't get any argument on the penalty so no real harm other than you knowing you got it wrong. Next time you'll know the right call.

Welcome to the board, lots of good members and info are here. Where in NC are you from?

True!! Thanks for the welcome-I have been lurking for a few months-increasing my knowledge and trying to get better. I live in Clinton-a small town halfway between Raleigh and Wilmington.

True!! Thanks for the welcome-I have been lurking for a few months-increasing my knowledge and trying to get better. I live in Clinton-a small town halfway between Raleigh and Wilmington.

Wow, nothing out there. My son will be going to UNCW this fall and after Raliegh there aint much till you get to Wilmington. Welcome.

Wow, nothing out there. My son will be going to UNCW this fall and after Raliegh there aint much till you get to Wilmington. Welcome.

And not much after until you hit the coast. I grew up in the Foothills, and my grandparents lived in Holden Beach. The 5-hour trip was nothing from Charlotte to their house.

confirmed! :jerkit:

Rule 6.06© Comment: If the batter interferes with the catcher, the plate umpire shall call “interference.” The batter is out and the ball dead. No player may advance on such interference (offensive interference) and all runners must return to the last base that was, in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference.