Sign in to follow this  

To all you brothers out there,

I've been researching LG's as of late looking to find that holy grail of performance, comfort, weight and value. I usually wear a single knee, just feels comfortable, and have been using an old pair for years. There is lotttts of info. out there on both the tried and true (wilson, honigs, diamond etc.) as well as the new and improved (all-star). In my blury eyed internet searches last night, I ran across these ProNine LG's (see photo). The way in which these attach looks interesting as well as the adjustability of the length.

Pro9.bmp

To my surprise however, I wasn't able to find reviews. So I'm left wondering if there is a problem with this brand or specific item that I'm out of the loop on.

Does anyone out there have or used a set that they can comment? Details would be appreciated but as my curiousity is peeked, any info. would be helpful.

I know some softball guys that really like them but I don't know of anybody wearing them for hardball. I'm interested in them as well, especially at that price point.

My mentor grabbed a pair of those when we visited Pro Nine. I snagged that $50 wheeled bag, and he got the Pro Nine bucket and sleeve to make an FSB, before Pete even came up with that designation.

He works D-II on down and he loves them. He's about 5'9'' and they seem to cover pretty nicely. He also commented that he likes the way they fit.

I'm always wearing triple-knee Wilson Golds or Douglas WVs, so the single-knee wouldn't do it for me. But if you're comfortable with single-knee, they protect well enough that a college guy wears them. Sorry it's not firsthand experience, but it's all I have.

Kevin,

What you have is more than some with first hand experience!

I have the diamond featherweights for D1 pitching on down. I don't use them anymore, but I never regretting wearing them and I got blasted multiple times. The only downside is the lower protection and I don't wear low TOP plate shoes.

Thanks for the feedback...still have not made up my mind on these.I did wear a pair of the Diamond Feather lites and didn't feel protected...I wear the RBK low plate shoes. The search continues.....

To all you brothers out there,

I've been researching LG's as of late looking to find that holy grail of performance, comfort, weight and value. I usually wear a single knee, just feels comfortable, and have been using an old pair for years. There is lotttts of info. out there on both the tried and true (wilson, honigs, diamond etc.) as well as the new and improved (all-star). In my blury eyed internet searches last night, I ran across these ProNine LG's (see photo). The way in which these attach looks interesting as well as the adjustability of the length.

Pro9.bmp

To my surprise however, I wasn't able to find reviews. So I'm left wondering if there is a problem with this brand or specific item that I'm out of the loop on.

Does anyone out there have or used a set that they can comment? Details would be appreciated but as my curiousity is peeked, any info. would be helpful.

i have worn the pro nine for 6 + years . they are the first LG i bought , and have been very happy with the fit and protection . two unique details they are left /right specific . and the knee cap is very large (roomy) and has alot of padding . they are well vented . very similar to the new allstars LG1000/2000 . in fact the knee cap design is very much the same basic design . im 6'4" , with at least a 32-33 inseam , and measure a about a 17" ankle to knee . pro nine states that the LG is adjustable , by moving the padding (knee) around . i think they are well designed , and i have taken 80+ mph (hs varsity, 18u travel teams) shots and felt nothing . pro nine seems to have more of a presence around the west coast . compared to other brands . i also have there mask , which i use as a backup or for lower level games . pro nine is simple no frills gear . one hockey helmet ,one tradtional mask , one LG and CP's .

marc

• Like 1

Thanks Marc...this is exactly the info. I was looking for. I'm a Northern Cal. boy myself and have heard of the ProNine brand but have not seen much of it on the field. I have similiar features as yourself, 6'1" and wear a 17" LG. When it comes to LG's I'm not convinced that more is better which is why I went looking for a single knee at a reasonable price in the firstplace. I do have a couple of follow up questions for you; You said the knee is large due to the padding. Do you think it's as big as the new All-Star guards?.....and....do you happen to know how much they weigh? Appreciate the update..these forums are better than wikipedia

Thanks Marc...this is exactly the info. I was looking for. I'm a Northern Cal. boy myself and have heard of the ProNine brand but have not seen much of it on the field. I have similiar features as yourself, 6'1" and wear a 17" LG. When it comes to LG's I'm not convinced that more is better which is why I went looking for a single knee at a reasonable price in the firstplace. I do have a couple of follow up questions for you; You said the knee is large due to the padding. Do you think it's as big as the new All-Star guards?.....and....do you happen to know how much they weigh? Appreciate the update..these forums are better than wikipedia

the knee cap is larger than allstar . not by much though , weight i would say about equal to allstar LG1000 , the 2000 i believe is a bit heavier due to the added thigh caps . trying to wear a combo pants for some one with thick lower legs could be an issue for this reason . when ump attire used to carry the pro nine brand , one constant mentioned a lot by buyers , about the pro nine LG was the unusual big knee cap . personally a nice big well padded knee cap is a good design . thus the new allstar design . the damage a 70 or 80 or higher mph base ball could do to my knees , i dont need to find out about . i have been totally satisfied with them . in my area in so cal (orange county), i know many umpires that work anywhere from HS to juco and D1,2 who use this gear , some including the mask and CP .it has good value and is well built and designed IMHO .

thanks marc

Pro Nine is located in Orange County. Good people; good products.

+1 brother kevin . pro nine doesnt have the celebrity following other brands have (the gear is a little boring) . or the national exposure either . they are more known for their baseball/softball catcher equipment , and related player equip. and as far as the knee cap size , its safe to stay that their knee cap design is probably the largest . i know over the last couple years LG design has evolved into the ultra light or light weight , minimal straps product . sometimes i wonder if this isnt sacrificing protection, for the sake of weight ?

marc