Evaluation of EBag MOther Lode 29" Duffel

jkumpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2181 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am still on the search for the ultimate gear bag, and since my Calrucci cannot fit inside Mr. Finnerty's bucket, I'm still looking.

I thought that I would take a peak at EBag's Mother Lode Wheeled Duffel, and color me impressed. On EBag's site they have a video on the features (try http://www.ebags.com...productid=70818 for more info, including a video).

A lot of officals use this, there are several Hockey official's evaluations on the site, and a previous thread on bags said some MiLB umpires are using it. Frankly, the bag is much like a Force 3 Bag, with somewhat better material, and a better stiffening for the walls of the upper compartment than the Force 3 Bag has. They rate the bag as 29" x 17.25" x 15.5". the main advantage it has over the Force 3 bag is the inside pockets are much easier to use on the EBags item than the Force 3.

The problems with the bag are one: It's not long or wide enough. If you have a hardshell protector, it more than likely won't fit in the bag. The telescoping handle is as nice as the new Diamond bag, It rolls very well, and the inside mesh pockets abound. the loaded bag also stands up on its own unlike any other bag I have used. The unique inside og ther bag material is interesting: unlike Black, the inside ofthe bag is the color of the outside panels, in my case I got the orange panels. they look great (in the photo below, the inside panels would be the blue color on the outside). the open bag is what mine looks like.

I can get almost all my gesr in it, and in comparison to the Wilson, there is no contest, the Mother Lode is better. The Diamond and Force 3 bags, due to their extra size (at least length) is probabluy the better item FO rmost of us, and sadly is for me because of the size of the my equipment (big feet, long shins, hard shell protector. If you carry smaller sized equipment and limit the number of items you take to a game sight (or put spares in an extra bag) I would recommend it highly. In many ways this is a true piece of luggage more than an umpire's equipment bag. It's smaller size and better materials in construction make it an appealing bag for the right official.

The cost is tricky: I got the bag for $125 with free shipping. today as I write the review the price its $144. Worth taking a look at!

Other info:

Weight:12 lbs

Capacity:7691 cu. in.

Material: 2520 + 840 D Nylon

Warranty:Our Promise - Lifetime Warranty -Exchange, return, whatever it takes

Linear Inches:61.75"

I have this bag and it is great. In the upper compartment I place my Wilson shins, a pair of base shoes, my Douglas chest protector, and my mask. In the side compartment on TOP I keep my plate shoes. If one has extra large feet I would guess that one could put there plate shoes and base shoes in with the chest protector and shins and then move the mask to the side compartment. In the bottom compartment I keep my lids hat keeper, compression shirts, spray bottles, belts accessories bag, Oakley case, towel, and still have room for 2 sets of uniforms.

If you are having trouble fitting all of your gear I would suggest trying different configurations. The best thing about this bag is they have a great warranty, if something happens to the bag, they will replace it no questions asked.

I got the Force3 at Christmas and it is fraying in two places. I need something better.

This thing at 29" is very short, but it probably works like a carry on.

Defiantly not short and it certainly isn't a carry on. It is the same height as the force3 give or take an inch.

• 3 months later...

I used the eBag for the first time today for a college summer league game here in Florida (only got four innings in due to the rain, but that's Florida in the summer for you.) My JEAPU bag that I bought a couple years ago ripped where the material of the bag meets the zipper on the top, and the zipper for the bottom compartment wore out as well. Therefore, I needed a replacement.

I bought the bag upon recommendation from a couple minor league guys I know that use and swear by the bag and by the comments about the bag on UE as well. It is awesome! Holds everything I need and more!

Here is what I currently have in the bag.

Top:

Reebok plate shoes

New Balance base shoes

Black Wilson shins

Wilson Platinum

Wilson Titanium mask (Upper Side Compartment)

Stopwatch (In one of the mesh zipper pockets)

Bottom is separated into 3 sections by 2 dividers.

Bottom Left:

2 pairs UA compression shorts

1 UA and 3 Nike compression shirts

1 pair UA leggings

3 pairs socks

2 sets of ball bags

Jock and Shock Doctor Titanium cup

Belt

Rubbing mud

Lids cap keeper

Bottom Center:

Ditty bag (brushes, indicators, info books, pens, etc.)

Oakley case

Sunscreen

Travel shower bag

Bottom Right:

Plastic folder (CCA manual, rule books, and other materials required by our college association)

Towel

2 pairs Polywools (Base and Plate)

2 shirts (could fit more, but that's all I needed today)

There are additional mesh pockets in both the top and bottom compartments of the bag. Also, there is a pocket on the outer front of the bag.

Despite carrying all of this gear, I still have extra room in the bag. As Fittske stated in an above post, if you are having trouble fitting all of your gear, try different configurations. I have long shin guards and large feet, and I still manage to fit everything needed in the bag. If you are looking for a new bag, I highly recommend taking a look at the eBag. The warranty is awesome and price is good especially when you figure in free shipping.

post-1674-0-69691500-1339651000_thumb.jp

post-1674-0-81831300-1339651011_thumb.jp

post-1674-0-74209800-1339651019_thumb.jp

Some point to the durability and some to the lifetime warranty. I know an official whos had his replaced a couple of times (over many years).

For me it doesn't work because I like to put my clothes in on hangars and not folded up as shown in the pictures plus I dont uderstand putting the heavier gear on top of the lighter and wrinkle prone shirts and pants. I think the compartments should be reversed top to bottom..

JK-

I think you have found the bag to own! Dissatisfied with the usual umpire-specific bags, I decided to get a MotherLode at the reccomendation of an umpire friend (and often times mentor). The only endorsement I could add about the eBag MotherLode is this: You could not PAY ME to ever switch to another bag.

It is a little more expensive, but it is worth it. Also it is nice that it is 29" which does not make it an "oversized" bag for airline checking purposes. My wife insists we use it whenever we travel as well. She and the baby get the eBag and I am left to fend for myself!

Also, it has a LIFETIME warranty, meaning it is literally the last bag you will ever have to buy. If you are a JE disiple and therefore use the Force or want the bag with the W and MLB logo on it, have at it. As for me, I'll take the eBag all day long. It is funny now I show up to a game rolling it in the locker room, get asked about it, show it off, and the next time I work with the guy he has one!

Just my .02. YMMV

The lifetime warranty is a major selling point. Without the warranty, the ebag holds up better than all of the popular bags on the market. When you add the fact that it carries a lifetime warranty, you have a umpire bag for life. As far as the configuration, I like putting my equipment on top and clothes on the bottom. Having the compartments on the bottom helps to keep things organized. The dividers and the structured bottom of the bag helps keep things stationary and lying flat . This was the biggest reason why I switched from the diamond bag. With that bag I kept my clothes on top, and every time I went to open the bag everything got turned upside down.

If you are intrested in purchasing, sign up for ebags email list they always are sending out 20-30% email discounts.

I like the fact that the bag is slightly more compact than most umpire bags, yet is large enough to easily store all my gear. I also am a big fan of the lifetime warranty. I know of a few guys that have already taken advantage of the warranty, and they all say the process and dealing with the company is easy. The bag is also clean in look, so it doesn't have any gaudy logos or brands plastered on the sides like some other umpire bags.

I am a fan of having my gear on top and clothes/ accessories on the bottom. The bottom of most bags is the most structurally stable which makes it much better, in my opinion, to hold clothes and smaller items. The dividers are also a big advantage because they help keep everything in place. When I roll it into a locker room and open it up, everything is how I originally packed it. Nothing slides around or moves.

I don't mind folding my clothes and putting them in the bag. I place a few hangers in as well so I can hang up my shirts and pants once I get to the site. If I have to take multiple uniforms to a location, I just take a garmet bag along with my gear bag.

I like the fact that the bag is slightly more compact than most umpire bags, yet is large enough to easily store all my gear. I also am a big fan of the lifetime warranty. I know of a few guys that have already taken advantage of the warranty, and they all say the process and dealing with the company is easy. The bag is also clean in look, so it doesn't have any gaudy logos or brands plastered on the sides like some other umpire bags.

I am a fan of having my gear on top and clothes/ accessories on the bottom. The bottom of most bags is the most structurally stable which makes it much better, in my opinion, to hold clothes and smaller items. The dividers are also a big advantage because they help keep everything in place. When I roll it into a locker room and open it up, everything is how I originally packed it. Nothing slides around or moves.

I don't mind folding my clothes and putting them in the bag. I place a few hangers in as well so I can hang up my shirts and pants once I get to the site. If I have to take multiple uniforms to a location, I just take a garmet bag along with my gear bag.

It all comes down to personal preference. Do some research and try to look at bags in person, then make your decision. To each his own.

Ok, so now I'm jonesing for one of these bags. Probably have to wait for Christma due to initial investment cost. My wife already had a come-apart when I bought new gear this season. My "hobby" supports itself and makes extra $, but she HATES it when I pick up with ANOTHER organization and have to buy their hats and shirts. I can see her face when she sees a $150 "Umpire Suitcase"

• 1 month later...

So FedEx delivered my Mother Lode today! It's bigger (volume) than I expected. I forsee no problems fitting EVERYTHING in here. Aside from what will be in my FSB :Cool2:

We've used eBags for years for regular luggage. I may need to dig out the MotherLode and use it as a gear bag. Truth is, most of the season I don't even use a bag -- I just place everything in the back of my SUV sans bag.

I was impressed until I read the charcoal ball bags

I tried it out. Here's what I found it holds...

UPPER COMPARTMENT

1. WV Pro Shins

2. WV Gold CP

3. Dyna-Lite Mask

4. Plate Shoes

5. Base Shoes

LOWER COMPARTMENT

Left Divider

1. 4 undershirts

2. 4 pairs of socks

3. Flex belt

4. Oakley Vault

5. Ankle brace

Center section

1. 8 shirts

2. 5 pants

3. Patent belt

4. Wristbands

Right section

1. 5 caps

2. Shoe cleaning brush

3. 25oz can of scrubbing bubbles

4. 22oz baby powder

5. Towel

6. Shoe rag

7. Soccer shins (for the little guys)

Inside zipper compartment

Left side

1. 2 plate brushes

2. 2 stopwatches

3. 3 indicators

4. 2 bullet pencils

5. 2 ink sticks

6. Lineup card holder

7. Ziploc bag of adhesive velcro for shirt patches

8. Flipping coin

9. Deodorant

Right Side

1. 4 black ball bags

2. 2 navy ball bags

3. 2 charcoal ball bags

I'm sure this will change as things are added, but there's plenty of room for that!

• 11 months later...

Ebags has the 29" Mother Loade etech 2.0 back in stock on black. I ordered one tonight. Found a code online for an additional discount.

Hopefully it is as good as everyone says. Looking forward to the little bit of extra space it should provide over my force 3.

Trying to stay on topic here but,

Isn't there a little foldy mat shaped bagey thing that you can put shirts and pants in and when it is folded and zipped up it keeps the shirts and pants from getting winkled. Instructions tell you how to fold and place the shirt and pants inside this piece. Seems like that piece of equipment has been mentioned before and maybe even a picture of it.

My question. If someone has that piece of equipment, could you fold the clothes in that bag first and then place in these gear bags mentioned. If someone does this, does it help keep the shirts and pants from wrinkling while in these gear bags being mentioned right now?

Trying to stay on topic here but,

Isn't there a little foldy mat shaped bagey thing that you can put shirts and pants in and when it is folded and zipped up it keeps the shirts and pants from getting winkled. Instructions tell you how to fold and place the shirt and pants inside this piece. Seems like that piece of equipment has been mentioned before and maybe even a picture of it.

My question. If someone has that piece of equipment, could you fold the clothes in that bag first and then place in these gear bags mentioned. If someone does this, does it help keep the shirts and pants from wrinkling while in these gear bags being mentioned right now?

Yes. They work really well.