Sign in to follow this  
Big Red

Check swing technique question

I've been watching alot of NCAA games lately, both baseball and softball. Mainly alot of softball since they just finished up the Super Regionals and are in the middle of the WCWS (watching Georgia v. Tennessee as I type).

But, while watching the softball games, something has jumped out at me (don't recall seeing it in baseball).

Regardless of whether the batter is LH or RH, or where the BUs are, during a check swing situation the PU ALWAYS goes to the 3rd base side. First time I saw it, thought it was a mistake, but I've now seen this in several games w/ at least 5 different umpires.

Obviously, in 2-man it's a moot point. But, in the two 3-man clinics I've been to, they say to check w/ the BU who has the view of the batter...i.e.--1st base PU on RH batter, 3rd base PU on LH batter.

Is this an ASA or NCAA thing? Any other insights?

Many thanks.

Is it possible it's only when U1 is inside, which would give U3 the better position to see it?

No, and that's why it's caught my attention. It's happened the same in many different situations....no runners on, runners on in different configurations.

I guess the situation w/ no runners on is what is really confusing...you've got U1 and U3 along their respective foul lines beyond 1st and 3rd base respectively, so don't understand why go to U3 on a RH batter.

It might be a NCAA 3 ump mechanic, not sure. But I do know it is not part of the way ASA or FED mechanics are taught.

Yeah Mickey, I meant to follow up on this after watching the 2 championship games between UCLA & Arizona.

Maybe the other ones really were mistakes, because in those 2 games PU DID do it the way I understood it to be....checked w/ U3 on a leftie, U1 on a rightie.

Dunno! :nod: B) :Horse:

I worked a HS District game with 2 college Umpires.

I was U3 and no one on base. Left handed batter checked swing. PU went to U1 at "A" the DC had a coniption fit. PU just had a Brainfart and used NCAA mechanics instead of FED.

If both are on the wings then NCAA still does it traditionally. Once you have a guy in the middle then it is different. It sounds like he is used to working two man and defaulted to not having an U3.

This how we were taught in local clinic in youth softball. If my partner not in correct position i just go up and tell him. i think its been awhile i know under the rules your suppose to check but that how i learn.

Plus you usually work by yourself. I only point down to first base if they umpire can tell if she went or didn't go.

NCAA changed in the 2013 CCA. U3 now has all lefty and U1 has all righty. No matter the starting position.

This has changed several times in the last few years.  Pretty sure there was a memo or update on this placed on the Central Hub during the course of last season that contradicted the book mechanic.

Check Swing 
Right handed batter: The First Base Umpire, when requested by the Home Plate Umpire, should 
assist on a check swing call on a right handed batter. 
Left handed batter: The Third Base Umpire, when requested by the Home Plate Umpire, should 
assist on a check swing call on a left handed batter. 

:o)

That's all I found for now..Heading out right now to go see our beloved Sooners play Tennessee..I'll report back with any "checked swings" incidents

By book in NCAA if the catcher asks for checked swing, then PU has to go for help. Unless of course PU already called it strike. If the coach or anyone else asks if it was a swing, by book, PU doesn't "have" to go for help.

U1 will always have right handed batters. If they are on the line or counter rotated.

U3 will always have left handed batters. If they are on the line or rotated.