Contact at the plate - video

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4421 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I only saw the screen picture and didnt watch the video but that doesnt look like the same play that was discussed earlier by Fittske or at least as I envisioned the play. I agree that the picture is likely an illegal slide but that doesnt mean all slides that are directly and even intentionally at the fielder are illegal.

Im not saying Fittske did this but this is just like alot of the coaches I talk to who take one situation and try to apply it to another situation where it doesnt apply.

I only saw the screen picture and didnt watch the video but that doesnt look like the same play that was discussed earlier by Fittske or at least as I envisioned the play. I agree that the picture is likely an illegal slide but that doesnt mean all slides that are directly and even intentionally at the fielder are illegal.

Im not saying Fittske did this but this is just like alot of the coaches I talk to who take one situation and try to apply it to another situation where it doesnt apply.

No, I wasn't saying the two situations were the same, I was just curious to see how some of the guys would rule on a situation using similar elements. I will admit, I had the FPSR in mind when I posted the situation. I wasn't aware that a video existed that almost described my posted situation to a T. The difference between the two were the runner in the video uses an obvious illegal slide, but the runner in my situation uses a legal slide, (in terms of slide mechanics) but slides through home plate and contacts the catcher who is attempting to retire the BR. In both cases the FPSR protects the catcher.

Just like to get everyone’s mental juices flowing :)

Fittske,

NCAA recently (last year, year before???) changed their FPSR so that the runner who "slides through" his "forced to" base is no longer liable for an FPSR violation if he remains "on line".

In FED, your assertion is correct.

JM

No, I wasn't saying the two situations were the same, I was just curious to see how some of the guys would rule on a situation using similar elements. I will admit, I had the FPSR in mind when I posted the situation. I wasn't aware that a video existed that almost described my posted situation to a T. The difference between the two were the runner in the video uses an obvious illegal slide, but the runner in my situation uses a legal slide, (in terms of slide mechanics) but slides through home plate and contacts the catcher who is attempting to retire the BR. In both cases the FPSR protects the catcher.

But your earlier examples werent FPSR were they? And Im almost certain that one of the examples had contact before or on TOP of the base and not beyond it.

The rules are more restrictive on FPSR I agree. If the runner goes past the base and then makes contact in HS its a violation. But you can still have a slide that takes out the fielder in front of the base be legal as long as the runner slides in a straight line between the bases (and is otherwise legal).

But your earlier examples werent FPSR were they? And Im almost certain that one of the examples had contact before or on TOP of the base and not beyond it.

The rules are more restrictive on FPSR I agree. If the runner goes past the base and then makes contact in HS its a violation. But you can still have a slide that takes out the fielder in front of the base be legal as long as the runner slides in a straight line between the bases (and is otherwise legal).

No, the earlier situations were not FPSR related. I was making the point about a runner using a a legal slide, (in terms of slide mechanics), but he intentionaly takes out a player in the act of making a play.

No, the earlier situations were not FPSR related. I was mearly invoking thought about the possibility of a runner using a a legal slide, (in terms of slide mechanics), to intentionaly take out a player in the act of making a play.

Let's talk about FPSR plays because that is where it is more restrictive. It is a violation if the runner slides to either side of the base to contact the fielder or slides over the base and contacts the fielder. That means if you contacts the fielder in front of or on TOP of the base it is legal. Here he is trying to turn a double play but the rules say he is legal to be slid into.

Now on non force bases, the fielder is supposed to be clear of the base without the ball. So even if he is in front of the bag trying to catch the ball he is fair game to be slid into. If he has the ball he is absolutely fair game. This all assumes a legal slide.

FED is concerned with unsporting or dangerous slides. They don't want popup slides, cross body blocks, cleats above the knee or sliding wide to take them out. Nowhere does the rules say they want contact to be avoided. They don't want illegal contact.