All Star System 7 Helmets

fitzy14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4943 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

:stir:jerkit:

"It musta been while you were......" never mind.

Being an MVP2200 guy...and designing my own sweat band for them....I love what I see in the 2500 and 4000 models.

Although not advised by All Star....I industrial strength velcro'd my padding in the 2200 several seasons back.....after tediously removing everything for cleaning and such....I went the velcro route....no problems.

2500 is priced very, very, nicely....and for my level of ball....upward to JUCO level.....should be fine.

Looking forward to checking back on this.

Scuzz

"voices in my head...gotta go..."

Although not advised by All Star....I industrial strength velcro'd my padding in the 2200 several seasons back.....after tediously removing everything for cleaning and such....I went the velcro route....no problems.

Hey Scuzz,

With the MVP2500 we went with your velcro route! It helps so much with prolonging the life of the helmet... because you can clean it easily.

In less than 5 seconds you can easily remove all the UltraCool™ 3d mesh padding from the helmet. For cleaning, toss the pads in the washing machine and let them air dry. With the empty shell, wash it with some soap and water and you'll be good to go. We also stock replacement liners if you ever need them.

Your right, those sweat bands on the 2200 wern't amazing... but you shouldn't have any issues with the new liner system of the MVP2500 since the whole liner is one huge moisture wicking beast!

-Brad

Edited by All-Star Sports

This be on here somewhere, but I do not see it,

What is the difference in the MVP4000 and MVP2500...besides the price...I also noticed that the 4000 is available in a titanium model.

There are a lot of differences… although they may not be very noticeable.

• - The MVP4000 is our professional/college level mask. The MVP2500 is great for youth up through college.
  • - The MVP4000 has our Armor Clad™ mesh liner system. The MVP2500 has our UltraCool™ mesh liner system. They both feel identical. The difference is in the non mesh padding. Both liners are easily removable and machine washable.
  • - The MVP4000 has an extra layer of vinyl nitrile padding between the shell and the Armor Clad™ liner. The vinyl nitrile is not removable. The MVP2500 does not have the added vinyl nitrile.
  • - The MVP4000 has a Polycarbonate shell. The MVP2500’s shells is high strength ABS plastic.
  • - The MVP4000 has two different cage options: Titanium (41.9 oz) or SL hollow steel I-Bar (44.1 oz). The MVP2500 comes with a steel I-Bar Cage (45.2 oz). Just for comparison purposes, our MVP2200SL is roughly the same weight as the MVP2500.
  • - The MVP4000 is the chosen mask by many profesional catchers and a few umpires (Hickox, C.B. and soon Welke and DiMuro)

Hope this helps!

Brad,

Even though I'm not in the market for a new mask (though if you're looking for someone to test one in TX, I'm more than happy to oblige!), did want to pass on thanks for coming on the site and updating everyone. Some would say it's just part of marketing, but taking the time to answer people's individual questions is noted and appreciated.

Can't wait to receive my mvp4000SL! I will post my thoughts on the helmet when I get it.

Went with the SL because the wait difference is relatively small, and, not sure titanium is worth the 60% higher price.

Really looking forward to getting it!

Brad,

Even though I'm not in the market for a new mask (though if you're looking for someone to test one in TX, I'm more than happy to oblige!), did want to pass on thanks for coming on the site and updating everyone. Some would say it's just part of marketing, but taking the time to answer people's individual questions is noted and appreciated.

+1. It says a lot for a company to take that time. I'll be in the market for a new mask in the next year or so, and will definitely check out All Star Sports when that time comes.

Brad, I'm currently using the MVP3000 TI how much more improved is the 4000?

Chestnut,

The MVP3000 shell is ABS plastic, just like the MVP2200 and the new MVP2500. The MVP4000 shell is polycarbonate... and can withstand much more abuse.

You will also notice that the mask will rest on your head a bit differently... but in a good way. Compared to the MVP3000, the shell of the 2500 and 4000 is lengthened in the back about 3/4's of an inch. This takes some pressure off your chin, makes it more comfortable, and also makes it feel lighter because of it's balance.

The padding in the MVP3000 is very similar to the padding in the MVP4000. It does not have the extra vinyl nitrile band in the forehead area.

In terms of how the MVP3000 compares to our helmets, it would find itself positioned between the MVP2200 and the MVP4000.

Hope this helps & thanks everyone for the nice welcomes!

-Brad

Anybody has any luck finding the 4000sl online? I can find it in the two-tone, but it does not look like anyone carries them in all black.

The all black MVP4000SL will probably have to be special ordered. I Ordered one thru Rex at Between the Lines Officials Gear. His number is 1 (866) 716-1590.

Alternatively you could call sheri at Sports n'more or sportdepot.com

links to both of these outlets appear earlier in this thread...

good luck.

Ray Hernandez

Currently e-mailing back and forth with someone from Baseball Savings. They can order and get me a MVP4000SL for 199.95 and he is checking the price on the MVP4000TI.

They usually ship stuff my way for $8.99 and no tax since I live in Texas.

Probably going to go with the SL since there is only a 2oz weight difference and I am not sure that is worth the around $100 price difference. Plus if the TI frame bends like the wilsons one do, having the steel one might prove to be more durable.

I currently wear a shock FX and love it, but the padding for the All-stars seem that it would wick the sweat better than the leather forehead piece in the wilson.

Plus, not sure why, but my Shock has a sticker in it that says to replace this helmet after two years of use...so the ALL-stars also have to be replaced every two years?

Plus if the TI frame bends like the wilsons one do, having the steel one might prove to be more durable.

Has anyone bent one of our TI frames? We don't use pure titanium because it bends easier than we wanted... we use a titanium alloy which has the same lightweight but is built for a lifetime of impacts.

Plus, not sure why, but my Shock has a sticker in it that says to replace this helmet after two years of use...so the ALL-stars also have to be replaced every two years?

The short answer... no. I've never seen any warning like that here. Use it for as long as you'd like! If you want to replace it every two years we won't mind though :rollinglaugh:

That is good to know about using a different kind of alloy. I personally have not had either of my Wilson TI frames bend, but you hear so many stories on here about that being the case.

I love how we ask a question and it gets answered straight from the horse's mouth....so when exactly does West's patent on the hard shell technology end. Can't wait for someone like All-star to give them some hard shell competetion.

Well, I just ordered my MVP4000SL(Steel cage) from BaseballSavings.com. They do not usually stock the solid black model, but they told me it would ship straight from All-Star. I could not justify paying over $100 more for a cage that was 2-3 ounces lighter. Both versions of the MVP4000 are heavier than my Shock F/X, but according to All-Star it sits on the head differently so you do not notice it. I think the MVP4000SL will weigh about 8oz more than my shock. I am extremely excited about the padding that can be washed. It also looks like it will do a better job of managing the sweat that my head produces. The leather padding in the shock does not do that great of a job of moisture management.

Not sure they would do it again, but they sold me mine for 199.99. At first they did not think they carried any of the MVP4000's but upon realizing that they did,(two-tone models priced at 229.99) he went ahead and honored the price that he quoted me. The fact that they do not use regular model numbers on their site makes locating things difficult from time to time.

I was going to order from SportsDepot, but the $20 shipping seemed a little excessive. Since I live in a rural area, it cost 8.99 for my order to ship from BaseballSavings. I even added a Majestic Pro-Blue shirt to the order. I know about the issues with the collars, but for 24.95 I figured that I could get a pro-blue that would actually match my partners. I also have a Smitty and Cliff Keen. They match each other, but if anyone wears a Honig's or Majestic, mine are always a brighter shade...plus I have never worn a Majestic shirt before. I figure the shipping is free on the shirt since I was going to have to pay it on the Mask anyway.

I have always had great luck with Baseball Savings in the past. I just contacted their customer service link on the website and they got back in touch with me and I placed the order. Great customer service.

• Like 1

The Majestic is virtually the same as a 2008 Honig's (Honig's has since gone to the synthetic collar). I recommend that you NEVER put a cotton-collared Majestic into a dryer, but instead, hang it dry. The collar will take a lot longer to start pilling that way.

Why is there not a single brand of umpire shirt that's issue-free?

I hang dry all my umpire shirts anyway. You would think that someone could make a great one.

I have yet to try one of the Ump-Attire shirts. They price has kept me away.

On the collar, the synthetic ones are so much better. I remember my old Honig's shirts (2001-2004) all had the cotton collar that resulted in pilling.

Brad,

Do you know if it's possible to wear this game with a hat or would that be a problem?

Whoops, sorry for the delay.

I wouldn't use anything higher than a 4 stitch because the helmet was designed to help bring the mask closer.

But yes, you can wear a plate cap.

From a comfort stand point, when you wear a cap, you lose the direct contact with the 3d mesh padding... and I would personally much rather feel the padding because of it's moisture wicking and cooling properties.

-Brad

Brad-

Thanks for answering all of our questions. I am excited that my MVP4000SL will arrive tomorrow. I cannot wait to try it on.

You mentioned previously that Ed Hickox (sp?) is wearing a MVP4000 this season. I saw him behind the plate yesterday working the Rangers/Brewers game. It appears that he has the MVP4000 by the shell design, but the pads (chin Pad) look like the leather ones from the previous versions of the helmet. Any insight on this? Just curious as my new one is on the way. I am excited about the new padding and I am wondering why someone might change back to the old style.

I know that the pads that come on the new diamond masks and the champro magesium masks that are moisture wicking are scratchy (and don't seem to very protective) to some and many have changed them for leather pads. I have a short goatee and I am hoping that I do not experience this with your padding.

Thanks again.