The two-count is more visible if you extend your index and little fingers.

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4465 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2011 and 2012 NFHS BASEBALL UMPIRES MANUAL

From Section VI-6

6. Fingers help communicate. Some umpires, when they feel the information is

needed, extend the fingers to indicate the number of balls and strikes. This is

especially good at amateur ball fields that don’t have a prompt and accurate

operator of the ball-strike display or have no scoreboard at all. If you choose to

show the strike count with your fingers, do it so all can see. The two-count is

more visible if you extend your index and little fingers. It is important that the

count be known and if the board has it wrong, announce the correct count and

show it with your fingers.

bushsatanismi8bc.jpg

From Section VI-6

operator of the ball-strike display or have no scoreboard at all. If you choose to

more visible if you extend your index and little fingers. It is important that the

bushsatanismi8bc.jpg

Double_Facepalm.jpg

Yeh.... PLAYERS do it!

BECAUSE IT'S MORE VISIBLE - which is the NFHS reason for suggesting that umpires do it. Players doing something doesn't make it something you have to not do just because they're players and you're not.

For example, players play with their eyes open. Does that mean you should umpire with your eyes closed (and I know some think you do)?

• Like 1

Yeh.... PLAYERS do it!

BECAUSE IT'S MORE VISIBLE - which is the NFHS reason for suggesting that umpires do it. Players doing something doesn't make it something you have to not do just because they're players and you're not.

For example, players play with their eyes open. Does that mean you should umpire with your eyes closed (and I know some think you do)?

And the NFHS reason is stupid. Anyone paying attention can see that I have two fingers held up when I use my index and middle fingers. No trained umpires would actually do this. Might as well use two fists for a 3-2 count. I guess if FED said that was good we should all do it too?

Yeh.... PLAYERS do it!

And the NFHS reason is stupid. Anyone paying attention can see that I have two fingers held up when I use my index and middle fingers. No trained umpires would actually do this. Might as well use two fists for a 3-2 count. I guess if FED said that was good we should all do it too?

You didn't play outfield on a 90' diamond did you.

I am not showing the outfield the count. I only care about the pitcher, catcher, batter and coaches. I did play outfield on 90ft and never had a problem.

Exactly. I'm not worried about them.

Showing the count with your fingers is really for the press box, while vocalizing it is for F1, F2, batter, and the dugouts.

Rich, I know you won't like this, but, as umpires we need to do things as umpires not players. :rose:

I'm not defending using Hook 'em for a two-count, but Rich has a point that we shouldn't not do things only because players and coaches do them. That I totally agree with.

From Section VI-6

I was so fixated on the horns portion of this passage, that I didn't notice that I have the option not to show anything!

I am really starting to like this FED mechanics thing. :smachhead:

From Section VI-6

I was so fixated on the horns portion of this passage, that I didn't notice that I have the option not to show anything!

My next game I am NOT ever going to show the count!

From Section VI-6

Note...there's an adverbial clause there. Thus, you still have to show the count, just not with your fingers. I don't want to know the other options...

Then coach or play!

Is that directed at my comment? If so, that's asinine. My point was, too often I've seen umpires say, "We should do (or use) 'X' because that's what players do (or use)." That's a dumb reason not to do or use something. There may be another very valid reason not to do this (like there is with Hook 'em), but that's not it.

Yeh.... PLAYERS do it!

You didn't play outfield on a 90' diamond did you.

And your index and pinky finger 'two' count CAN be seen better from the outfield on a 90' diamond ??

I am not showing the outfield the count. I only care about the pitcher, catcher, batter and coaches. I did play outfield on 90ft and never had a problem.

In serious grown-up baseball outfielders want to know the count and the pitch location because it can give them an edge on where the ball will likely be hit.