As they see 'em: A fans travels in the land of umpires.

Triguy29
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3060 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It is truly an outstanding book, and as close to a must-read as any umpiring book I have ever read. Its beauty is in how a true baseball fan and follower discovers umpiring and voices those revelations. There are many stark similarities to when many of us discovered this fascinating area of the game we thought we already knew. (How about the rules we thought we already knew?) And the author, Bruce Weber, is an outstanding writer and a pretty damned good baseball man.

No matter what level of umpire you are, this is one book that you should read.

And it's getting pretty affordable on Amazon.

Check out the Audible version read by Charlie Steiner. A great performance. I have read this book twice before, but my sons and I still listened to it on the way up to Tucson for the Desert Classic. They really loved it, especially the section on Jim Evans's school.

• Like 1

Completely agree with everyone that this is an outstanding book. The true value of this book is the honesty he was able to glean throughout is travels. He was able to paint a true picture of what guys face out there from day 1. A must read indeed.

• Like 1

I just put 7 umpiring books on hold at the local library. I came here to check if any had been discussed, and this was one of the books. I was actually reading a preview on Amazon and just couldn't stop... Two others are more of fun reads than informative in "The Unwilling Umpire" (a kids mystery book that will probably take me a couple hours to finish) by Ron Roy and "Rivals" by Tim Green, which I believe is a fictional story based on CDP...

The others are...

- "Career Guide to Sports Officiating: You call the shots", by R.I. Odoms

- "The Umpire Strikes Back", by Ron Luciano

- "You're the Umpire: 139 Scenarios to test your baseball knowledge", by Wayne Stewart

- "You're out and you're ugly too!", by Durwood Merrill

• 3 months later...

ive owned the book for around two years now, and actually just finished it for the first time (ive had alot of school reading and other assorted things get in the way) and i am impressed all around by this book, defiantly looking to read it again (hopefully in one non two year shot :P)

• 4 weeks later...

I read this book a couple of months ago in a single night. My wife nearly passed out when I told her I finished it. The last book I read cover-to-cover was in seventh grade (more than 16 years ago). It was enthralling from the first word to the last. There were a lot of things I learned about becoming a major league umpire that I never knew. I don't think I realized just how hard it is. Much respect for the men in The Show.

• 3 months later...

Hoocked awn foniks wurked for meee...... A-hole :P

I've been spelling it wrong all along..... i had it "huked awn fawinks werkd fer mee!"

It's "wurkt"....geeez people !

Do you not know we spell certain words "funny" up here in Canada? Like color and colour for example.....

• Like 1

Hoocked awn foniks wurked for meee...... A-hole :P

I've been spelling it wrong all along..... i had it "huked awn fawinks werkd fer mee!"

It's "wurkt"....geeez people !

Do you not know we spell certain words "funny" up here in Canada? Like color and colour for example.....

yeah, y'all are retards. :P

FWIW.... I bought another copy the other day. When I finish re-reading it, anyone interested can get it from me. All I ask is that you actually read it within 60 days and then post it for someone else to claim and ship it to them for free. Everyone who reads it, write a small note in the cover, vis-a-vis yearbooks. After everyone wsho wants it has had an opportunity to recieve it, I want the person with it to send it back to me so I can read all the places it's been. Maybe each recipient include a photo or something in the envelope. 1st person to pm me shipping info gets it.