What to do?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5067 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a semi-pro wood bat league, batter hits foul ball into street behind field. Ball bounces in street and then ticks off the top of a moving pick-up truck. Is there any liability to either the umpires or players?

You're in the wrong forum to ask a question like this.

What you probably want is the forum at www.lawyersandotherassholes.com

Good luck. I think. :wave:

In a semi-pro wood bat league, batter hits foul ball into street behind field. Ball bounces in street and then ticks off the top of a moving pick-up truck. Is there any liability to either the umpires or players?

I used to think it was no one's liability. After talking to a coach this year, he says the field owner is responsible. He continued to say that if it happens in a game on his school's field, he has business cards of the person to contact.

That Brian is just so dirty....

Here is the real answer "RUN"....now, if Bri and I are on the field together, and since he is faster than I am, I tend to bring a pocket knife to cut his achilles, then I got him. LOL....

Sorry, season over for about 30 days...time to rest my knees and enhance my humor...

That Brian is just so dirty....

Here is the real answer "RUN"....now, if Bri and I are on the field together, and since he is faster than I am, I tend to bring a pocket knife to cut his achilles, then I got him. LOL....

Sorry, season over for about 30 days...time to rest my knees and enhance my humor...

:nod:

Man, now I KNOW you're full of mullarkey. I'm as slow as second base. :(

:nod: How's your truck?

:nod: How's your truck?

Actually, I was one of the umpires.

The truck was waiting for us when the game ended and the a*ssholes had called the cops. The cop was giving me and my partner grief about who owns the field(it's a county run and operated field) and wanted the name of my assigner. I wouldn't at first, but when the cop took down my license plate number, I figured I better comply. I let my assigner know, he told me that there wasn't any liability, but I just wanted to make sure.

That field has been there a million years and abuts a major roadway, so this can't be the first time. In fact, one of the coaches told me a Mustang once took one right in the middle of the windshield. The Mustang owner confronted the team and umpires and in that case, the coach told me they told the guy there was nothing they could do, just bad luck.

The people at my game called the cops, which put it on a different level.

Thanks to all that replied.

Edited by lookouts400

Actually, I was one of the umpires.

The truck was waiting for us when the game ended and the a*ssholes had called the cops. The cop was giving me and my partner grief about who owns the field(it's a county run and operated field) and wanted the name of my assigner. I wouldn't at first, but when the cop took down my license plate number, I figured I better comply. I let my assigner know, he told me that there wasn't any liability, but I just wanted to make sure.

That field has been there a million years and abuts a major roadway, so this can't be the first time. In fact, one of the coaches told me a Mustang once took one right in the middle of the windshield. The Mustang owner confronted the team and umpires and in that case, the coach told me they told the guy there was nothing they could do, just bad luck.

The people at my game called the cops, which put it on a different level.

Thanks to all that replied.

Let me get this straight: the police were giving YOU grief? For a problem that took place on a county-government-owned property? :(

As though you and the assignor are supposed to "do something" about these baseballs that are hit into the public roadway from a publically-owned property?

You know, I'm no attorney, and I don't play one on the internet, but I'd have to say this police officer needs some more schooling in the field of application of law. Sheesh. :nod:

Yup, that was the case. Pissed me off beyond belief. We just finished a three and a half hour, 14-13 nine inning wood bat game in a driving wind, with 18 whiny adult brats and we have to go to the parking lot and deal with this, we couldn't even have a post-game chat without this goofy cop bugging us. I told the cop to talk to the coaches of the home team, they were still there, but he didn't feel like walking 250 feet from parking lot to home bench. He finally did make the walk and I am sure the home team set him straight.

Now, I understand he was just doing his job and the real jerks in this case were the people in the truck. I mean, what are the odds of getting hit with a foul ball? They just had bad luck and it wasn't even like the ball went thru a window or something, just ticked the top of the cab. Deal with it. Like I said before, if it happened all the time, that field would not have been in use for so many years.

Repeat after me: "Litigation Happy Nation."

Some of the Generation X group and their offspring have no concept of a hard day's work. After teaching middle school and high school for 28 yrs I think I know of what I speak. :shrug: