Youth Strike Zone

tjthresh
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4350 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I use the bottom of the elbows as a rule of thumb. 13/14s is not really different than JV. I keep pretty much the same zone for any level I work adjusted to size and ability. The belly button is too low for anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that nothing about the bellybutton. So your zone is a "cigar box"? Ha ha... For me, just look at his normal stance, if he crouches top of letters and bottom of knees...

I also like the bottom of the knees. Some of the guys here like the top of the knees. When coaches see me they tell F1 to keep it low.

• 6 months later...

My strike zone for youth (Cal Ripken Minors? sorry i can think of the age group being up since 3....) is a little higher and wider than i normally go, however i fall into the trap of not being able to tighten back up when i go to do say legion ball after doing a full month of little league....

I think 13u is old enough to stick to belt/belly button height. And like UIC said maybe make it wider.

Wow... belt/belly button.. you must like long games... call the letters and open it up a little.... you will be fine for 13u

I think belly button is too low, letters are too high. The zone is the midpoint between the belt and armpits, which is either the bottom of the elbows for most or if you prefer, two balls above the belt.

• 1 month later...

Generally, its about the elbows for me. I find them much easier to judge than letters on a jersey. HS - stay below the elbows. Youth - hit the elbows.

I seem to adjust to the speed of the ball. If F1 is lobbing soft toss, I will really stretch North. If F1 is throwing really hard, its gotta get smaller or else nobody makes it on base.

If I get the chance to call a high Strike One early in the game, I will do it. This seems to be the unspoken "tell em to swing today".

If anyone asks, I call whatever is in the book.

• 1 year later...

I always see the zone as more oval than rectangle in youth games. If it is a bit high but over the center of the plate...that's a strike. If it is off the the plate...but thigh-belt high...strike. This is lower level youth games of course, but that's just me.

Interesting...this type of zone is something I'd call in HS or better quality Colt games. In lower quality games, I'm giving the entire rectangle.

I always see the zone as more oval than rectangle in youth games. If it is a bit high but over the center of the plate...that's a strike. If it is off the the plate...but thigh-belt high...strike. This is lower level youth games of course, but that's just me.

Interesting...this type of zone is something I'd call in HS or better quality Colt games. In lower quality games, I'm giving the entire rectangle.

Yeah I'm thinking that you are probably more right from my experiences so far. I find myself more likely to get away with the large rectangle in lower ball. Also could get away with it in higher youth with the oval. Smack down the middle...probably here more gripes if you don't call a slightly high pitch than if you do call it. Same with the belt high outside pitch. Problems will be when you call something both low and away in the colt/hs games.